Cooking Appreciation Thread

My mom microwaved for a while, but she quit. I did not like it. The bacon never got crisp enough for me… Yes you can have bad bacon.

Those buns look awesome. Glad it worked out for you. I am trying this bun recipe for today;

I wanted something fast and easy as I am also cooking Bo Ssam from Momofuku

and doing Naan for Chicken Saagwala for tomorrow.

2 Likes

Adding 1/4-1/2 cup of water will also moderate the temps while the meat renders out some of the fat. The result: leaner, crisper bacon without burning.

That being said: baking still works better. Draining it on upside down wire racks with newsprint or paper towels underneath (in contact with the wire mesh) will also wick away excess grease.

Check out Alton Brown’s makin’ bacon episode from Good Eats and the Scrap Iron Chef.

His baked bacon method is pretty simple:

Place the strips of bacon onto a sheet pan fitted with a rack and place into a cold oven. Turn the oven to 400 degrees F and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your bacon. Remove from rack and drain on paper towels. Enjoy.

2 Likes

i always bake my bacon. That’s why it’s pronounced bakin’.

I like to make bacon too. Here is some from a couple of years ago. This is Berkshire pork belly from H-Mart.

15356675_10154173983575875_1095692337067701896_n 15337425_10154173983490875_1664075065546188290_n

5 Likes
2 Likes

Sorry I mistakenly replied to you but it was meant More for the original poster. I was not questioning your bacon cred.

2 Likes

Duck on a gnocchi and roast apricot bed with a beef sauce on top.

Tried to replicate a meal we got in Paris.

7 Likes

So when are you inviting us over for dinner to eat that??? I must have missed tonight’s invitation! :drooling_face: :rofl:

2 Likes

Sous Vide hard boiled eggs. These were fresh (bought today) eggs. Peeled beautifully. Perfectly cooked.

Cold eggs into 194 degrees for 20 minutes, then 15 minutes in an ice bath.

4 Likes

If he’s like most, just take him to Cabela’s to get one cuz with a lotta guys, you can justify about ANY purchase to them that you can make at Cabela’s!!

3 Likes

Made a smooth gazpacho two days ago. Girls ate all of it. Made a chunky version tonight.

5 Likes

Wish I had taken some pictures, but we were too in the zone.

A friend came over today with a chunk of Hog tenderloin. He had harvested it yesterday. What followed was a kitchen experiment.
We originally were going to let it defrost in the fridge; however we got such a late start to other things today that we tried to use my pot to heat it enough without drying it out.
Then we pressure cooked it for 15 minutes in a marinade of Soy, Brown Sugar, Shishito, and Lemon Thyme.
Once it was done pressure cooking, we seared the tenderloin on a cast iron whilst bringing the marinade back to a boil and adding in noodles to make some Pork broth ramen. Tossed in some garlic on top. The resulting broth was good to sip, the noodles saturated with flavour, though we still ended up with some dryness on the tenderloin pieces that we need to try and fix next time.

In other news, I found that Northern Tool is liquidating their food slicers apparently. I got this guy for $25 and have already sliced up 4 pounds of meat for a Jerky batch on it. Not a nice slicer by any means, but for $25 was worth it. Found it in the clearance area in the Louisville location (and they had more when I was there the other day).

The Jerky recipe of the month I came up with is a Black Garlic & Shishito marinade. It’s been pretty awesome. I’m going to have to lock up my own results because I’m eating them faster than I can make them.

Cheers,
-Jim

5 Likes

Thank you! Even if it only lasts 1 year, for $30 (including tax), it’s totally worth it!

For anyone else interested, there are 3 left at the Lewisville store as of now. When you walk inside, go immediately to your left. It’s in the far left front corner On the bottom of the left side of the clearance shelf. It’s the $80 slicer on their website.

Just know that the gears inside those things are plastic and the motor has enough power to shear all the teeth off of them. My dad used mine and got kinda stupid with a too-frozen chunk of caribou. Trashed it, though IIRC replacement internals are available.

Show-off.
and some more letters.

2 Likes

I’m well aware. It’s got really good reviews on Amazon and for $30, it will let me know if I want to get a more expensive one that’s all metal parts. I’ve been wanting one for a few years, but didn’t want to spend ~$300 to see if I’d actually use it. This will be my chance. I’ll use it mostly for homemade bacon and deli meats. Then we’ll see if I like owning one.

2 Likes

A friend shared this on FB.

12 Likes

My dad (now gone) was an amazing cook. He also had a great (but slightly warped) sense of humor. He learned how to cook in sort of a Frenchy style in college, where he used those skills to woo women, including my mom.

This caribou thing he made was pretty awesome. It was an hors d’oeuvre for a big annual birthday party for several family members, including himself.

Anyway, he put some sort of spread he made on crostini, piled shaved medium-rare caribou (reindeer) and topped with a big round dot of some red jam, maybe raspberry.

He named the dish “Caribou Canapés Rudolph”

2 Likes

Great!
Now I have a twinge of guilt for laughing at that…
:smiley:

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I’ve got a new culinary appreciation thread started here.

1 Like