Cooking Appreciation Thread

Santa Approved, Santa Endorsed. Remember, Santa is an anagram for Satan … so it has to be good!

3 Likes

Bacon is many things (side dish, topping, main course, life, goodness worth selling your soul for) but definitely not overrated.

5 Likes

It’s amazing! Homemade bacon is the way to go though because of the various flavors you can make.

Are you a vegetarian? If not, I would highly recommend trying it. Maybe try it in a BLT sandwich first. It might be too salty and strong for you if you just have it plain. It’s both taste and texture that make it so addicting (in my opinion). You can’t stop eating it once you start. At least I can’t! :rofl:

2 Likes

Bacon is sold in single serving packages for you convenience.

2 Likes

I’m pescetarian actually. Basically that means I’m vegetarian but I also eat seafood. My love of sushi is too strong to ever give it up :sushi: :fish:

2 Likes

Yeah, one pound at a time! :bacon:

4 Likes

I’m very aware of pescatarians. If you haven’t eaten other meat in a long time, I would probably stay away until you get your body used to it. I’ve heard horror stories of people who had meat for the first time in a long time and got extremely sick from it because their body was no longer used to it. If you’re ok with that risk, I would highly recommend trying real bacon because it’s amazing! :drooling_face:

2 Likes

If I ever go back to eating meat, I’ll keep that in mind, thank you!

1 Like

Bacon is Incroyable!
It’s from the gods!
Once you start eating it- you will eat the whole plate full!
(But it’s very fattening and unhealthy)

2 Likes

Bacon is plenty healthy in moderation.

1 Like

So a good entry point for bacon may be to do bacon and scallops, it’s fantastic and the scallops really pick up the bacon flavor so you don’t have to eat the bacon to appreciate it.

3 Likes

Spanish rice - brown hamburger with seasonings, chili powder and onion and/or garlic salt. Add diced tomatoes, rice, and some water. Bring to a boil, then bake in the oven for about an hour. Top with cheese, maybe back in the oven for a few minutes, and serve.

6 Likes

That looks amazing!!
I’m gonna have to try that!

Just my 2cents here (no offense ment in any way) I would use a beef or chicken broth/stock (beef to serve with a beef or pork main dish, chicken for a stand alone lighter flavor) instead of flat water, and I would turn the oven to the broiler setting to really melt and brown the cheese.

2 Likes

I do a thing I call a six pack and a pound.

6 over easy eggs and a pound of bacon. It’s an awesome breakfast, though I doubt it would fall into the category of moderation. :rofl:

2 Likes

And the converse is true: cook rice likes it’s pasta - boil it in an excess of water. I let basmati soak in cool water for about 15 minutes, then rinse and boil in fresh water. Fluffy and delicious every time.

4 Likes

Remember, though, that bacon is also known as the “gateway meat” - if you try bacon, you’ll be at Wendy’s scarfing down a Baconator within a day or two.

4 Likes

Do not ever judge bacon by what you can get at a fast food restaurant.

:wink:

Buy better quality smoked bacon. Also do not fry in a pan. Bake it in the oven. You will get better results.

3 Likes

^This. I use a deep cookie sheet so to collect all the fat and then store it for later use. If you do fry it, don’t heat the pan first. Just add it to the pan and let it warm up as the pan gets to temp.

1 Like

Grilling it also works well, esp. for holidays & such when kitchens are crowded and/or if you want the heat outside (or you’re grilling the food anyway, etc.). The same family member that taught me to bake it, taught me to grill it. I haven’t tried it yet, but I have assisted. Basically, use a cookie sheet or whatever you’d use just like you would for the oven, heat the grill, cook using as indirect heat and closed lid as possible, but really, it isn’t THAT big a deal except for trying to keep your pan looking “indoorsy”, if you care.
I have another friend who swears by microwaving. He says he got one of those bacon cookers for his micy, and hasn’t looked back. I have my doubts, but…it’s bacon, so it can’t really be BAD, right?
The only way to ruin it is to overcook it. And even THAT takes SOME doing!

Oh. I made hamburger buns per chef John.
Came out okay.

Next time, less diameter, more height. Probably will make 10 or 12 instead of 8 from the same batch for 1/3 lb patties. And I know, “no seeds, not a hamburger bun” but the folks partaking disagree, so…

6 Likes

My mom microwaved for a while, but she quit. I did not like it. The bacon never got crisp enough for me… Yes you can have bad bacon.

Those buns look awesome. Glad it worked out for you. I am trying this bun recipe for today;

I wanted something fast and easy as I am also cooking Bo Ssam from Momofuku

and doing Naan for Chicken Saagwala for tomorrow.

2 Likes