[Completed] - Project ‘Ware’ Boards Needed For DMS Ceramics Class

That is an option, but I am unfamiliar with the lasers and would feel more comfortable just cutting it on the table saw.

Acrylic may not suit the project, drying uneven or too slow?

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my ‘flare’ for help!

Yes Please! If you can get a board and do the cutting of the ware boards! If you can no longer do this please let me know asap :))

I am happy to meet you up at DMS and help in whatever way I can; carrying the board into the space, helping measuring etc. I am not authorized to use any tools in Woodshop.

**if it’s a heavy board, I may not be able to help carry it into the space :((

*** Jacob, in this thread, has also volunteered to help get the ware boards cut, if a board or scrap materials can be brought to Woodshop. Jacob is authorized to use Woodshop equipment.

Yes, acrylic is fine in theory if it gives one a rigid ware board surface. But it is best suited for projects at home or where one has long term storage available, because the plastic surface will tend to keep one’s clay project ‘wet’ on the bottom. Not good for a DMS class project where getting the clay dry and into the kiln for the first firing is a priority:))))

The soonest I can get to it is Monday afternoon. If that is ok, I will pick up the Masonite board, cut it, and put it in the ceramics area for you. I am certified on the wood shop tools.

2 Likes

That would be fabulous! Thank you!

As soon as I get word from you that the ware boards are in the ceramics area, I will go there and put them in the teacher only supplies cabinet.

I immediately need 10 ware boards.
If there is enough leftover Masonite to make more, and you have the time and energy to cut more, please please do.

If you only have time to cut 10, please keep the extra Masonite, or I can put in my garage for when more can be cut :))

I do appreciate you doing this!
When I get paid the honorarium for teaching, I would be happy to reimburse you the cost of the Masonite board. The ware boards won’t be ‘mine’, they will be for all the teachers teaching ceramic classes, but I am happy to pay for the board when I qualify for the teaching honorarium.

Thank you so much Collin!
Very Very Excited here, to be getting the ware boards!!!

I made 12 boards for you, 6 are 13 1/2 x 14 1/2 but the other six are right. I left them in ceramics with your name on them. I am not seeking any reimbursement, I consider it a learning experience and I am happy to contribute to the community. I hope they work well for you. DT

5 Likes

OMG!!!
Thank you Thank you so much!!!
I am SO Excited! WARE BOARDS! YAY!
I will be up at DMS Monday afternoon to get them so they will be ready for members to use in my ceramics class.

I can’t believe it! WARE BOARDS!
Thank you for your kindness and generosity!

I can’t wait to read the wiki and other info about teaching classes, and then list my first class on the DMS Calendar!

1 Like

Good place to start: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/So_You_Want_to_Teach_A_Class
Includes links to a walkthrough of entering necessary info into calendar for class creation.

Perhaps this has already been covered, and if so, feel free to ignore me.
Because these are “for the committee”, it would not be out of line to ask the committee chair to pay for the board materials, if new materials are acquired. Of course, the chair can always say no, but if this is something that will benefit the committee, chairs usually say yes, and the instructor (or another party) does not have to be out of pocket for a committee tool. This also eliminates the need for “waiting for honorarium” to get things paid for.
As stated elsewhere before: the honorarium is a “thank you” to our volunteers for teaching classes. The money is YOURS, and you may do with it as you wish.

Although donating back to DMS with the instructor portion of honorarium is lovely, I think “waiting for honorarium to buy materials/tool/whathaveyou” often creates inappropriate expectations of the honoraria.

I may be reading more into this than is there is if so I apologize, but I at no time asked or expected for her to pay out of her honorarium. That was an unsolicited comment she made in Talk that I was not planning on taking her up on. Just want to make my motives clear so people are not making assumptions. I know from my month here this honorarium thing is a very contentious subject.

1 Like

It’s all good, friend.

Whether you take such an offer or not is purely between you and the offerer.
Likewise, if the offer is made is purely between those 2 parties.
I simply wanted to clarify that, while [royal you] may use [royal your] honorarium any way [royal you] see fit, including reimbursing someone for hauling/shaping materials, [royal we] should steer clear of placing the honorarium unnecessarily in the middle of that. Instead [royal we] can ask the committee chair to reimburse for useful things, and often be met with “You betcha”. Then the reimbursement can come directly from the accountant’s office, and honoraria do not need to enter into it. Instructors may keep part or donate all to committee while letting the committee do what the committee does in terms of furnishing tools and equipment conducive people making things using the skills fostered within that committee. This lifts a substantial burden off [royal us] instructors to worry about whether we’ll get honorarium, what taxes will be taken out before we can get it re-donated, etc.

Really not a big deal. I just think some misinformation is floating around about honorariums, what they are, how they should be used, etc…

from here

Collin, what you are saying is completely True. At no time did you suggest or request payment in any way, and at no time did I discuss with you reimbursement for materials using my honorarium (if I qualify for one).

You have been a wonderfully giving and considerate DMS member; the first to offer to source the board material and cut the ware boards needed. Another kind and generous member beat you to it :)))))

The discussion of reimbursement of the cost of materials out of my DMS honorarium came from my own head and out of my own mouth and was my own suggestion-

I wanted to reassure whomever volunteered to help, that I am incredibly grateful for their time, effort, and labor. I didn’t want them to be out the money too. And I would be happy to pay them back out of my honorarium or next contract job, whichever came first :)))

It’s all worked out better than I ever could have hoped! DMS members responded to my Talk call for help immed! I so appreciate that!

I can’t wait to go to DMS and see the new ceramic ware boards! And then list my first class!

2 Likes

Yea, wood ware boards!

and if you donate the honorarium back to the committee when you schedule the class, you won’t incur a tax burden for that as income.

1 Like

DT! The Masonite ware boards are completely Fabulous!!! Thank you so much!

I immediately put them in the teachers and special supplies cabinet in ceramics :))

I can’t wait to list, offer, and teach my first ceramics class at DMS! With the ware boards that you made, I Am Ready!

1 Like

Stacked carefully in the Ceramic’s cabinet :)))

Collin- When will you be at the space next? I have some material that I’ve used for ceramics flat building forms in the past that have worked well. Let me know and I’ll meet you up there if at all possible. Thanks for doing this!

@Monikat Are the forms I made still working ok?

Hey Paul these were completed by another maker at the space before I had time to do them. The material is no longer needed.

CR

Yes the forms are working well and Collin is correct the ware boards needed have been completed. Thank you!

1 Like