[Completed] - Project ‘Ware’ Boards Needed For DMS Ceramics Class

Fellow DMS Members;
Does anyone have scrap lumber, Masonite board, drywall board, that can be cut into 14”x14” ‘ware boards’ so folks taking my ceramics class can build their projects on them? I will need the cutting of the material volunteered as well.

• Ten ware boards are needed
  • they do need to be flat and not warped
  • I can wrap the outer end of Sheetrock/drywall with duct tape, making this kind of board functional for ceramic needs
  • they will become the property of the Ceramics Committee

I don’t have the materials to make the ware boards, nor do I have authorization to use Woodshop tools.

Please let me know if you have these scrap/leftover materials, and then someone in Woodshop could be the Angel needed to cut them, or if you can do both.

Following this, I can immediately list my class on Calendar , and I will be honored to be one of my fellow DMS members who teach.

Many many thank yous if you can help, or source someone who can.

2 Likes

How many do you need?

:blankspace:

Minimum 10

12 or 15 would be great if some disappear before I teach my second class :))

But 10 will allow me to go ahead and start teaching.

I do not have time to offer to do this, but if anyone else is interested, to save a wee bit of time…
It appears that 15 pieces of 14x14 would come out of a single sheet of “hardboard” (masonite, I think?) pretty nicely…

and if it’s done in drywall (which I have to say seems WRONG when working in ceramics, but I know nothing about what’s happening) it would cost about $5.00 less and could be done with a simple knife. That stuff scores & snaps e a s y.

1 Like

Any surface that is rigid and won’t bend will work fine. Wood does not have to be thick, and does Not need to be ‘quality’.

Sheetrock/drywall board works well in the ceramic studio because it allows even drying of the clay project placed on top. And duct taping the edges prevents any plaster from getting on or in the clay. Of course Sheetrock/drywall ware boards in the ceramic studio, should be disposed of when the paper on top or below erodes, or if the ware board cracks, breaks exposing the plaster etc. Sheetrock/drywall board (cut to size and taped) is a preferred ware board for professional ceramic sculptors. I have 30 years of experience using it for my own work, so I will make sure it is used properly in my class at DMS :))

I included Sheetrock board as an option thinking among all us members, some may have some ‘scraps’ of one or more of these materials hanging out lonesome in the garage etc :)))

The ware boards do Not need to be made out of the same material. As long as I have Ten total ware boards for members of the class-

I will be ready to go to list my ceramic sculpture class on Calendar! And I am very excited to start teaching! :)))

2 Likes

All the round 12-14” boards are mine. Think I have about 6 more up there in my cubby. Can use them all. :hugs: I’ll post a pic tmoro of what I have. Should be close to 10 maybe more :+1:t3:

These ones

2 Likes

If these do not work for you let me know and I will find the wood and cut the boards you need.

1 Like

1 Like

I wonder if 1/4 " acrylic would work, would be easy to cut with the laser

From some quick searches acrylic is way to expensive unless you are planning to donate it.

I am shopping at Lowes because it is close to my house
acrylic 36 x 72 $78.98 (you would get 10 boards )
Masonite 48 x 96 $14.48 (you could get 18 boards)

Feel free to check my math I suck at it

1 Like

You can cut MDF on the laser, I think this is similar to masonite.

That is an option, but I am unfamiliar with the lasers and would feel more comfortable just cutting it on the table saw.

Acrylic may not suit the project, drying uneven or too slow?

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my ‘flare’ for help!

Yes Please! If you can get a board and do the cutting of the ware boards! If you can no longer do this please let me know asap :))

I am happy to meet you up at DMS and help in whatever way I can; carrying the board into the space, helping measuring etc. I am not authorized to use any tools in Woodshop.

**if it’s a heavy board, I may not be able to help carry it into the space :((

*** Jacob, in this thread, has also volunteered to help get the ware boards cut, if a board or scrap materials can be brought to Woodshop. Jacob is authorized to use Woodshop equipment.

Yes, acrylic is fine in theory if it gives one a rigid ware board surface. But it is best suited for projects at home or where one has long term storage available, because the plastic surface will tend to keep one’s clay project ‘wet’ on the bottom. Not good for a DMS class project where getting the clay dry and into the kiln for the first firing is a priority:))))

The soonest I can get to it is Monday afternoon. If that is ok, I will pick up the Masonite board, cut it, and put it in the ceramics area for you. I am certified on the wood shop tools.

2 Likes

That would be fabulous! Thank you!

As soon as I get word from you that the ware boards are in the ceramics area, I will go there and put them in the teacher only supplies cabinet.

I immediately need 10 ware boards.
If there is enough leftover Masonite to make more, and you have the time and energy to cut more, please please do.

If you only have time to cut 10, please keep the extra Masonite, or I can put in my garage for when more can be cut :))

I do appreciate you doing this!
When I get paid the honorarium for teaching, I would be happy to reimburse you the cost of the Masonite board. The ware boards won’t be ‘mine’, they will be for all the teachers teaching ceramic classes, but I am happy to pay for the board when I qualify for the teaching honorarium.

Thank you so much Collin!
Very Very Excited here, to be getting the ware boards!!!

I made 12 boards for you, 6 are 13 1/2 x 14 1/2 but the other six are right. I left them in ceramics with your name on them. I am not seeking any reimbursement, I consider it a learning experience and I am happy to contribute to the community. I hope they work well for you. DT

5 Likes

OMG!!!
Thank you Thank you so much!!!
I am SO Excited! WARE BOARDS! YAY!
I will be up at DMS Monday afternoon to get them so they will be ready for members to use in my ceramics class.

I can’t believe it! WARE BOARDS!
Thank you for your kindness and generosity!

I can’t wait to read the wiki and other info about teaching classes, and then list my first class on the DMS Calendar!

1 Like