CNC Router - Can not save new tools

For some reason VCarve PRO and Makerspace edition will not let me save new tools that I’ve created.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or a feature (to keep those who shouldn’t from creating tools)… or both?

Either way… help? Thanks!

My understanding is that the root problem is there is no way to have a user specific tool database. If you are allowed to save, your changes affect all other users. If you make a mistake that mistake propagates to everyone.

So are we locked into only the listed tools until further notice?

Yes, the standard library is all that is available unless you’ve taken the advanced course.

@IanLee, do all the tools you want to add fall into one of these categories…

Tool.BALL_NOSE
Tool.END_MILL
Tool.VBIT
Tool.THROUGH_DRILL

Yes. There’s a 1/2" down cut end mill in the drawer that looks fairly new. I want to add it since it makes more sense to use that for my parts instead of the 3/8" bit.

In that case I may have a solution.

But, given the potential for abuse / trouble, the next step is to discuss the idea with the Woodshop Committee / get permission from the Woodshop Chair.

@Team_Woodshop, what is the best medium for discussing the VCarve tool database? Google hangout? In person? Personal message pow wow? Committee meeting?

1 Like

[email protected] is probably the best place.

I’ll add Carve tool database to the committee meeting on Thursday 3/30/17.

1 Like

We removed the 1/2" dc mill, because our gantry really isn’t fast enough to drive it. Our Classic, is primarily set up to drive 1/4" bits. 3/8 mills work, but get close to too slow in some cases. Beyond that, the 1/2" bits ain’t cheap. The last three we had, all got driven too slow by operators, and broke.

If we really need to discuss what’s in the Lib (again), it would be better to have a separate meeting, lest it dominate the committee meeting. Likewise, I’ll be out of town the 30th,

I thought the MC classic had a max of 600 IPM / 24000 RPM?

The bit I found last night was a Misenheimer 110-1680 for which the manufacturer recommends 325 IPM / 18000 RPM.

That seems slow for 1/2" endmill. 2 flute?

Well, lets say you were cutting MDF, the typical chipload for a 1/2" 2 flute DC end mill is about .026

So .026 x 2 x 18000 = 936IPM for a 1/2" or less deep cut. Therefore, its safe to say that .009 chipload meisenheimer is quoting is likely to result in a broken bit, and will probably fill the shop air with flour fine dust.

This is something every CNC router operator should know - the very simple math needed to ensure you are cutting at the right speed. Its also why we have so many dull and broken bits. It also explains why we don’t stock half inch mills.

2 Likes

Isn’t quoting a “typical chipload” a bit like pointing to a particular shaman and saying their black magic is the best? Joking aside, yes there’s a lot of important math involved, but aren’t there also many other factors at play in finding the best feeds/ speeds; things like bit length, depth of cut, material machinability, etc?

Vortex as well as a couple third party calculators with unsourced data agree with you that for a 1/2" bit on MDF, chipload should be between .025" and .027" (and .019"-.021" for hardwoods)

That said, the equivalent bits (1/2" diameter, 2.125" CEL, 4" overall length, 2 flute downcut end mill) from Onsrud (57-367) and Misenheimer (110-1860) both have a chipload of .007-.009 for hardwood. Perhaps due to the bit length or stickout the chipload is reduced?

Either way, I’d love to sit down and work with you, @Tapper, and find the best F/S for the tool so that I can use it properly.

https://www.vortextool.com/images/chipLoadChart.pdf

https://www.onsrud.com/files/pdf/2012%20LMT%20Onsrud%20Production%20Cutting%20Tools%20Hard%20Wood.pdf

http://www.misenheimerinc.com/MisenheimerCg.pdf

Testing has not gone well. The new tool does not show up in the normal selector so it can not be easily selected. I believe the process would go something like this…

• Human creates a toolpath using a similar tool selected from the existing database
• Human ensures the toolpath is selected in the Toolpath List
• Human runs a gadget that applies the new tool to the selected Toolpath

If there is an interest I will continue to pursue it.

In addition, there does not appear to be a way to synchronize tools from the database with tools in toolpaths. (Would have solved a problem @AlexRhodes ran into when cutting the latest round of personal storage.)

1 Like

Let me clarify a little here.

First, we can’t stock every bit you might ever want to use. We stock only the basic bits which are most commonly used, and which are appropriately sized for our table. We spent some time about a year ago, discussing and finalizing the library. About once every two or three weeks, I go through the bits, and replace the dull and broken bits. It gets expensive, and most of the expense relates directly to users doing something wrong with the bits.

Half-inch bits are rarely used, run faster than our table can support, and are expensive as hell. Not a good candidate for regular stocking. Beyond that - the Woodshop can’t afford to stock $80 throwaway bits. Not gonna happen.

Most of these carbide bits are rated for a couple thousand cutting feet, but we’re doing well to get 500 feet. The reason, is that users keep trying to slow bits down, and this results in the bit getting hot, losing it’s temper, and breaking in half, or getting dull very quickly.

1 Like

Is there a meeting today? Time?

Is there any interest in “user defined tools” as described earlier in this thread…

Is there any interest in a VCarve gadget that automatically generates g-code files…

No meeting today, I moved it to March 24th. However I will be teaching the first “Intro to Handheld Power Tools” tonight at 7:00