CNC Plasma update

I talked to Dynatorch today. Looks like the machine will be shipping late next week.

10 Likes

Whenever you move the old one out, it might be a good time to clean under and behind it.

(OK, you can say it … “Yes, mom”. )

8 Likes

Hey, we cleaned under it LAST year.

5 Likes

So where will the new one be stored while we build out the new part of the building ( or wherever it goes ) ?

we’re actually going to take the old one out and start putting it in. We can finagle it.

I’ll give the owner of the old plasmacam an update; he’ll coordinate a visit to town with his trailer to get it.

Cheers,
-Jim

4 Likes

So I have been contemplating that possibly the 22nd & 23rd taking the plasmacam out of service. We can then hopefully move the ductwork & make the spot ready for the new machine the following week. This is pending that the machine ships as it is supposed to.

2 Likes

Once the new machine is installed, could there be a couple “update” classes to cover any changes and/or refresh those of us who were certified on the old one? (This may already be planned, but it came to mind.)

Also if the new machine will use new consumables, I will be glad to donate what I had to the owner of the old machine as a thank you for the use we got.

3 Likes

We’re contemplating a hybrid course for those already trained, similar to what Machine Shop has for the Sherline Mill for Bridgeport users. However, we can’t make a decision until we actually start using the unit to evaluate just how different the software and hardware is.

Additionally, the new software should be far easier to work with, and the reduced teaching complexity may just end up making it all the same class anyway due to the shorted base class.

As for consumables, it’s a higher amperage torch head (85A vs 65A) and I’m not sure which set it takes off the top of my head but it is a hypertherm unit.

Cheers,
-Jim

3 Likes

I have a fairly sizable project I am about to start that will (hopefully) involve the CNC plasma cutter, and I need to decide whether to try and squeeze it in before the current machine goes out of service, or after the new machine goes into service. So I have a couple of questions:

1. How usable is the machine currently? I know a lot of people (including myself) were having issues with the gantry a while back, and it ranged from fairly usable to barely usable.
  2. When is the new unit likely to be setup?

I would also be happy to help with the install if I can be of service (I have no idea what goes into that).

The current PlasmaCam will be going decommissioned Saturday evening. The new machine will be here sometime next week. My plan is to have everything ready to just slide the new machine in when it arrives. I presume by Wednesday, it should be here. I have been talking to the manufacturer consistently & will get a better update tomorrow but as it stands as of 3:30 yesterday, It should be shipping by the end of the week. As far as I know the current machine is stil operational, unless the computer is messed up stil from yesterday.

2 Likes

The machine is shipping today.

2 Likes

Do you know the software packages that will be need to loaded and learned.

FYI there is a class scheduled for the plasmacam on sunday.

Sheetcam is pre-loaded on the machine. The Plasmacam classes have been canceled via email so I’m told.

So I know there’s a lot that’s gotta go into this but just wondering what’s the best case scenario y’all think as to us having a working plasmacam from decommission to recommission also is there gonna be a recertification necessary?

We have discussed it briefly in the committee meetings. We have not fully decided. The new machine has completely different software, However from everything I’ve seen its so much more user friendly & easier. It does automatically create order & cut paths. You can change them however if you want to change the lead ins or order of operations.

If needed, I will do a train-o-thon to get the pent up demand down.

7 Likes

About what time is the plasma cam going to be Taken out?

After the Machine Shop meeting. It’s at 5, so likely 6-7

Isn’t there a class on the schedule on the plasma cam tomorrow?

1 Like

:blankspace: