CNC Plasma Cutter

The CNC plasma cutter is now functional and we have been able to create some pretty nice things on it.

If you have any parts that you would like to make and would like to learn how to use it at the same time you can email me at [email protected]

Your part should be in .DXF format and in inches.

I plan on doing a training class for it soon.

14 Likes

Awesome work, thanks @Chris_Wischkowsky . I’m looking forward to the class.

@Chris_Wischkowsky how thick of material will it REALLY cut? Is there a thickness that works best?

I have a number of things that I have cut with a Plazma Pantograph previously that I would like to try and convert over to the CNC.

The thickest we have cut so far is 1/4" Mild Steel. Anything thicker and it’s an experiment.

That said, it went through the 1/4" steel real easy and clean with a fine tip, so I would be optimistic about it cutting thicker stuff.

The thinner the metal the more warping there will be from the heat.

I have been told that the plasma cutter is capable of cutting up to an inch, but I don’t know if anyone has actually done it.

@AndrewLeCody never believe what the sales guy tells you.

For what we do, anything over 1/4" gets too heavy, and most of it gets done in 1/8", so that is great.

Are you saying it won’t cut 1"?

I think the point is that it has not been PROVEN to be able to cut 1".

A lot of credit should also go to Joel Gray for donating a PC that actually works and Michael Lass for figuring a lot of the machine out.

3 Likes

If anyone want’s to try to cut 1" steel I am all for it, just let me know.

I have been doing some work with the PlasmaCAM as well lately and was thinking of teaching a class on it so we can get some wider usage of the machine. I took the original ‘training’ class on the machine when it was donated to the space.

I figured I’d cover the CAD/CAM pipeline in a classroom and then actual machine setup and configuration.

Do you have any sort of curriculum planned or dates you had planned for classes? I don’t want to step on anybodies toes.

2 Likes

FYI those are precision tips it won’t cut 1 inch on those tips you will have to goto the high current tips

Robert

1 Like

I would be interested in the class, if offered.

I would also be interested in attending the plasma cutter class.

I’ll plan a class. Meanwhile email me and I can show people personally how to use it.

I would be interested as well Chris.

Hi, I would also like to attend an introductory class. I’ll keep an eye out for one if offered, or email me when you know something more. Thanks.

I’m interested in learning the machine, too. I need to make some parts for the Lemons car. The race is February 28th.

Bryan

The instructions for the Plasma CAM call for an enclosure for the computer. We have a large cabinet in the workshop that might be perfect:

This is available, and may even be thrown out.

We could put the computer and monitor inside, with some speakers and USB connections on the front. A couple of fans and filters would keep it ventilated safely. There would be room to store the manual, CD’s, and consumables inside also. A cheap keyboard and mouse could be replaced when they inevitably die.

This might be a better option than replacing the computer frequently. If the Metal Shop Committe approves of this, I would not mind helping built it out.

3 Likes

Yup, that cabinet (and the others) are up for grabs for any committee that wants them.