CNC Plasma Cutter

Chuck,

The PlasmaCAM PC belongs to me and I already installed filters over the fans. I also found a form fitting dust cover (Tyvek I think) that is probably more convenient for $40 to put over it instead of a bulky enclosure.

I just need approval from the Metal Shop to purchase.

JAG

1 Like

@Chris_Wischkowsky, Iā€™d like to cut 3/16" tool steel on the plasma. Is that feasible? Iā€™d like to make a set of western spurs, kind of like these spurs made from a file. My plan would be to cut them on the plasma, flatten the teeth down using the blacksmithing tools, and then weld the shank onto the back end using the MIG welder. Getting the stock cut to shape cleanly and efficiently is the first step.

So, a) can this steel be cut on the plasma, b) do I need to temper it first, and c) when could you be able to help me try it out? Iā€™m usually at the DMS on Thursday nights (itā€™s a 30 mile drive each way for me), but I could meet another evening or on the weekend depending on your availability.

When is the next class on using the Plasma CAM, I did not see one on the calendar in the next month?
I came in this past weekend and spent several hours reading the manuals, but I am unsure as to whether yā€™all have everything setup in there to use the Plasma CAM. I am going to be cutting .250" steel plate for some projects.
I will be creating my files on my AutoCAD program at home and uploading them.

Thanks,
Chris

@Chris_Wischkowsky Thanks for talking to me and my brother tonight about helping us test cut the .100" thick 2025-O aluminum plate that we need to cut for the armor plating on our Snowspeeder. You said maybe a guy named Trent might also be available to teach us the use of the cutter. I am drawing the DXF file for some test pieces and will cut a 4ā€™ x 5ā€™ section off of the 5ā€™ x15ā€™ aluminum sheet that we have so we can do some test upon it to see how well it cuts. What night is good for you to meet us at DMS. Does this wednesday or thursday of this week work for you?

Thanks, Kenny Rogers
Hereā€™s my Star Wars hobby sites for our speeders if anyone is curious and wants to help us make bigger and better vehicles.

I will probably be up there in the afternoon on those days.

If there is anyone on here who is interested in using the paint booth OR the PlasmaCAM, then please vote accordingly on which one gets funding for ventilation first. We MAY not get both in the long haul for this facility if I understand correctly.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/poll-plasma-ventilation-or-paint-room/4050/38

JAG ā€œD&D Alignment: Neutral Naughtyā€ MAN

Pardon my ignorance, but after reading the various posts, I couldnā€™t find current status. Can someone help me figure this out?

The member vote preferred ventilation for the plasma cutter, but after reading the Board of Directors meeting minutes I canā€™t tell the status of whether/when we will proceed with that.

The machine itself seems to be down with a smoking (or some other failure-issue) motor, but that probably doesnā€™t matter if we canā€™t run it without ventilation because of the Fire Marshallā€™s (probably justified) objections.

And finally ā€¦ (does begging help?) ā€¦ since I donā€™t know how to use the thing, is anyone willing to do a class? :smile:

Thanks much.
Chris

Nothing is likely to happen until The Space gets beyond its current financial difficulties brought on by the fire marshal visit and the need to replace a major server and air compressor. There is apparently a major effort underway to free up floor space. Hopefully that is for these improvements or to set up storage space rental to help the fiscal situation.

Personally, I would like a paint booth. It is difficult to get a good enamel finish in the high humidity we usually have.

Be sure there will be classes once the machine is usable again. Iā€™ll bet on it.

I wouldnā€™t say we are having financial difficulties, we are about to hire 2 employees and are currently bringing in 37k a month( http://membership-numbers.herokuapp.com/ ), we just had some expenses come up so we havenā€™t made any big purchases in the past month or so.

As far as I recall we were going to try and do an on the cheap plasma ventilation solution ourselves (vs hiring a contractor to build a ventilation solution for entire metal shop), not sure who is heading that up, I would assume the metalshop chairs?

2 Likes

Why do you say that?

Freeing up floor space and improving storage rules is a constant battle. We have lots of members and a finite amount of floorspace.

1 Like

For starters, this:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/vacuum-former-30-days-until-removal-notice/4462

and this:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/a-discussion-about-storage-space-and-rules/4399

That is good to know. I (and Chris?) am just going by what is in the meeting minutes. Yes, people do read those darn thingsā€¦

Understand completely. We just seem to be starting to veer from a broom toward a bulldozer.

The plasma cutter is pending the city inspector to sign off on the design nothing more than that.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll take that bet. :slight_smile:

And, as one who has not been in the metal shop for a week or more, implementation of said approved plan?

1 Like

I apologize if this conversation has already been had but, as far as the fire marshal is concerned, would it be possible to use the existing ā€œpaint roomā€ for powder coating?

Since spraying the powder does not create fumes, we could easily set up a solution for containing overspray.

Iā€™d like to be able to powder coat some parts Iā€™ll be cutting with the plasma once itā€™s operational.

1 Like

We donā€™t have a paint room.

1 Like

IIRC the MFGs of the CNC plasmas that have either a down draft table or a water table claim a 90% reduction in fumes and dust. Maybe we could gather some of their propaganda or osha studies and present it to the fire marshall to see if he would approve. And maybe w/combined use of the portable fume extractor which we could wire to the controller so it has to be running to turn on the torch, if necessary(in his mind). Water table probably being the first, easiest and most compact choice. Also adds fire safety. But we could probably do either for much cheaper, w/o a permit and would transfer much better if we move buildings or rearrange the current. Or buy a cnc waterjet, w/hand sprayer for supersoaker fights.

1 Like