CNC Plasma Cutter Class

I’d like to learn to use the CNC plasma cutter in the metal shop. I’ve been keeping an eye out for classes but haven’t seen one yet (unless I missed it). Does anybody know when the next class will be taught?

You should follow this other thread, which is where it’s being discussed:

To use the Plasma Table requires two classes: Hot Safety Class [need first] and then the Plasma Table class.

The Hot Safety Class is required for most of the things in the metal shop - Beth hosts those classes as demand dictates. The next one looks to be Monday [11/1] at 7PM [Hot Process Safety -- when is better? 2021 November-ish - #4 by dryad2b].

They have had the Plasma Table class earlier this month, not sure when the next one will be. The other way is to show up to a Committee Meeting - they are usually good about getting people signed off on then [trading cleaning participation for training].

Also once you get familiar with the machine - please consider becoming a teacher/trainer for it. I think there is a lot of demand for the training and could easily be taught once a month. Also remember that if you teach a class [that meets the requirements], DMS will give you an honorarium of $50 which goes a long way to paying your dues for the month! DMS also allows you to teach up to FOUR classes a month for honorariums. Teaching classes is an easy and needed way to help out the Space.

1 Like

That is very informative. I would love to teach a class, I’ve been thinking about contributing to the community that way, just haven’t found something that I feel like I know enough about to teach a class. But I do have a couple of projects that I want to do on the plasma cutter which will probably give me enough comfort to teach a basics class. Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

Shoot, I saw the Dynatorch class, but I just didn’t know the name haha. I was looking for something like
‘CNC plasma cutter’ or something like that. Now that I know what to look for I won’t miss it. Thank you!

2 Likes