Class Series: Interactive Installations (II)

Hey Everyone!

I’m Chanel van Eeden, I’ve met quite a few people here at DMS over the past year and have had a wonderful time getting to know the team and facility. It’s truly a remarkable space and environment to grow and progress in. It’s taken me some time to figure out exactly what classes I could teach that would give back as much as possible, but I finally feel that I have it figured out.

A little bit about my background, I started my Undergraduate University studies at Texas A&M as a Visualization major, Pixar often hires animators from there. I eventually began to crave a more artistic environment and transferred to the Savannah College of Art and Design in Georgia. While there, I studied as an Illustration major, eventually transitioning into Interactive Design and Game Development. Both are really great programs with Graduate level degrees if anyone is interested in furthering their education at SCAD, please reach out.

Post graduation at SCAD, I was accepted into the world renowned Royal College of Art in London, UK. It’s ranked as the best art and design school in the world and is absolutely fantastic in many ways. I began my graduate studies as a Global Innovation Design major, eventually switching into Information Experience Design. Both programs are fantastic. I favored IED and highly recommend it, although the original creator has now left the program, he is my best friend. I can share some of his and other lecturer’s work if there is an interest here. I left with a Postgraduate Diploma in Information Experience Design from the RCA.

I’m currently taking on part-time roles but am also in the process of applying to schools for a Master’s Degree in order to teach at University level and conduct research. So this series of classes will be my very first official attempt at teaching a course. I am very excited about this and am aiming to make it the best I possibly can. I’ve tutored many of my peers on many different subjects while in school and after graduation, so these classes encompass my favorite subjects thus far.

Below is the current high-level list of themes that I am planning to teach here at DMS on Interactive Installations (II):

II 100 History, Purpose, and Planning

II 200 Tools & Methods

II 300 Capstones and Mileage

II 400 Senior Exhibition

Please comment below with your email or any contact information if you are interested or would like to collaborate in some way for the series and I will keep in touch!

2 Likes

I have a few questions for whoever is able to answer.

What category would these topics best fit under? I’m considering Digital Media but that isn’t always going to be the case. Is there any way we can add an “Immersive Experience” category?

Another question is where is a space where an installation could be kept up for a week? Is there any way to book an installation space for a week’s time? We can use whatever spatial restrictions are required, there will be a weekly group activity involving a group installation. It would be great if we could designate a corner somewhere for a week for installations.

Thanks. I’ll add an outline for clarity below.

Im sorry, you might have the wrong place, this is not the DMA.

Did you mean to post this on the Dallas Museum of Art?

2 Likes

For 102 and 111, it would be great if we could use the blank wall in the Interactive Classroom. If everyone vibes with what we’re making, then it would be really great if we could showcase something in the front for visitors to enjoy? Just a couple ideas I’ve had so far. Please let me know if this is possible! Thanks.

Hilarious! I meant DMS lol. Perhaps a local DMA…

It doesn’t seem like there is much interest in these topics from what I’m seeing on here. I’d like to stay optimistic but I feel more like a running joke. I will most likely not be teaching a class. Sorry for the few that were interested.

Chanel

Would you consider this a “Best Fit” under Animatronics SIG? It would seem, to me at least, there would be a fair amount of overlap in terms of structure, movement, sensors, and interactive modes. (Assumes not all electronic based).

You could be a contributor showing design and builds. You may want to contact @SIG_Animatronics Don’t be discouraged, a lot of it is finding the people.

If you have a few things built that could be displayed in the Lobby that could generate interest as well as some videos of the build and interactions here on Talk. Generating interest/marketing … same same. People may knww know what they are interested in.

2 Likes

FYI everyone - Animatronics is Committee!

2 Likes

Well…if really wanna know…
Some call me Santa Klaus.

1 Like

I’m thinking more like “Bad Santa”

@chanelmignon … Thanks for sharing. Can you give some examples of what constitutes an “Interactive Installation”? Just art that people can interact with?
My background is in software and electronics. I would love to collaborate!!
I have been thinking of making interactive LED light strips that respond to movement and gestures. Not sure if it counts as art.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone!

I’ve been getting hacked pretty intensely so it’s not realistic to teach the Interactive Installations class right now. I’m also moving out of state in the next month. I do wish that I could stay here and teach but God has some other plans.

Before I go, I am teaching a class about critiquing the self and others as a conversational skill, I do hope that some of you will join. It’s called Isolating the Problem and it will be held in the Interactive Classroom on Monday Nov. 21st at 5pm to 6pm. Here is the sign up link:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/18902

I plan on recording the class and posting it to YouTube. Once that occurs, I will post the link here. Thanks for all of your input and suggestions. I wish I had time to meet with everyone and discuss all of these things, I just won’t be here for much longer.

Sincerely,

Chanel van Eeden

1 Like