Class No-Shows (most un-excellent!)

Continuing the discussion from Honorarium checks up to 2017-06-27:

No-shows are so un-excellent for several reasons that something significant needs to happen in response. 1st time = ban from registering for 3 months? 2nd time = ban from registering for 6 months? 3rd time = permanent ban from registering for classes. Possible exceptions for required training classes, but then again…?

1 Like

There is a difference between a no show for a class with an attendance limit and one without. If there is no limit, then no shows really have no impact.

2 Likes

I mostly agree with this, but what if there are so many no-shows that the instructor gets fewer than three attendees?

How is that different then not getting three registered attendees?

1 Like

Well, perhaps I misunderstood the situation you’re describing. I was picturing a hypothetical class with no attendance limit. Six people sign up to attend. Four don’t show up. Those four didn’t prevent someone else from attending since there was no limit, but they cause the instructor to show up for a class with only two students. So the impact isn’t to other students, it’s to the instructor.

3 Likes

If it were up to me, I’d give a mulligan for a first time offense. Life happens. But I’d like to see some consequences for 2nd/3rd offenses.

Would this require changes to the calendar attendance system? Would you want to be able to mark “Did not show up” or it would you just assume that anyone not marked as attended was a no-show?

Along those lines … and I’m sure I will incite a s*&%storm here, what do people think about an instructor cancelling a class (a few days in advance) due to lack of interest? On the one hand that’s not respectful to the one or two people who do sign up, but on the other hand it’s not a good use of resources (especially machinery and classrooms) to hold classes for one or two people …

1 Like

I had a bunch of now shows in my Wed night class, I had 12 sign up
and 6 showed and 2 of those ere on ont the list, So I had
enough

That said we aren t college or public school, I HATE the ides
of penalizing no shows. We entourage folks to sign up
ahead of time and that does encourage folks that want to com to register

There are many reasons that someone might not shew for a class from having
to work to being sick to car issues and on and on,

I would like to know why we seem to have several folks that want to Punish others
for fairly minor infractions of the ‘be excellent’ rule,
Folks that idea is a MAJOR infraction of be excellent

2 Likes

The instructor should show up regardless of how many are registered.

To do otherwise is unfair to those who did register and made time in their life to show up to take the class.

8 Likes

I absolutely was not advocating a last minute no-show by the instructor. I agree that would be the height of rudeness and disrespect.

I was suggesting perhaps three days in advance cancelling the class. It’s not just about the instructor - tying up a classroom and reserving equipment for one or two people isn’t good either.

Agreed on both qualifications…these situation were what I really had in mind. No-shows for a class with attendance limit that is full (preventing others from signing up) and/or that decrease attendance below limit that qualifies instructor for an honorarium that was expecting it.

IMHO, the best that we can do is give each individual instructor the option to create a list of people who cannot sign up for his or her classes. Even that can be circumvented by a deliberate troublemaker with throwaway e-mail addresses.

Assuming that not marked is a no-show is incorrect because the instructor sometimes/often does not bother to check roll when there is not three or more present. It would be unfair to ding a student because the teacher did not take roll.

The only real solution is to do away with honorariums altogether, but that will never happen.

Cancelling if nobody signed up is one thing, but if at least one has registered, the instructor should follow through even if only one showed.

Even if nobody registered, the tool and classroom are still blocked for most of that time until the class is cancelled. I would rather the resources get used for a class of one or two than blocked from other instructors for a class of zero.

3 Likes

There is one other solution, but it is guaranteed to be unpopular: give the auditors the order to reject any proposed classes they feel will not get three or more students.

I wonder how much of this no show issue is being driven by potential students being unhappy with the teachers presentation? Perhaps it would be a nice addition to the calendar software to provide a feedback mechanism?

5 Likes

Some classes must have limits due to logistics and safety, for example the jewelry area or CA annex

But even without limits no shows have a definite impact. My last class had 4 not show…but materials were purchased and prepped for them as you’d expect taking a class. At the end of the day instead of making $50 to cover membership that month I ended up coming out of pocket an additional $35 for the unused kits that were purchased. For the coporate sponsors helping us try to revive some of my SIGS this is also a huge turn off and those no shows ended up killing two very generous donations.

3 Likes

Won’t get 3 to sign up. Or will suffer the no show syndrome

Good idea. Perhaps completing the feedback could count as having attended?

Personalv I think a lot of no shows are just life getting in the way

Is it permisionable for the inscuter to e mail the student the day
before as a reminder? They would alos give them a chance to eamil
that they can t make it

1 Like

I do not follow what you mean…

The system already sends out a reminder about the deadline to cancel, which in a roundabout way, is a reminder that the class day is coming up.

1 Like

You make a valid point. I do not have a solution other than charging for the cost of materials used in the class.

2 Likes