Class interest for outdoor equipment (Messenger bags, backpacks, duffles)

Hi all! I’m relatively new to makerspace and wanted to see if there was A) interest in doing a project class on sewing up a messenger bag, backpack, etc. and b) what exactly would everyone want to make?

My background is in sewn outdoor products and I’ve been doing design of various pieces of equipment for years and wanted to eventually create a series focused on designing your own bags/outdoor equipment at the space. But for starters, I wanted to try something relatively simple.

I plan to bring my Juki industrial sewing machine into the space for this class (and hopefully series of classes). It’s similar in basic operation to the home sewing machines, just a wee bit more powerful and with some added features (walking foot and knee lifter).

To start, for this first class I would pre cut all the material for each student out of canvas and we would use the Pfaff and my machine to work on the project and finish them.

As far as what specific project, here are the three projects I think we can do in a class:
Messenger bag with two external pockets, one internal laptop pocket, and a flap cover
Simple duffle bag with a reinforced bottom and zippered closure
workshop apron with pockets

Each attendee would let me know which project they want to undertake and if they have a color preference for canvas. Each project offers its own set of challenges, but you would come out of the class with a highly usable item.

Keep in mind, this is a start. After this trial class, we can start a series where we go from concept to finished personal product with all kinds of materials and construction techniques! Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Here’s some of my designs or designs I’ve contributed to.

https://goo.gl/images/pjcQ9K
https://goo.gl/images/ZaXUoo

15 Likes

I’m sure this will be just as popular as the leather bag classes!

I would love to replace my messenger bag with one I made myself, but backpack is just as appealing.

1 Like

That sounds like an interesting class

1 Like

Much interest.
:blankspace:

1 Like

Yeah this sounds awesome!

1 Like

Where do we sign up? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would sign up for this class.

1 Like

Very interested!!!

1 Like

That definitely sounds good! I always have grand plans for bags but they never quite seem to happen.

1 Like

Would love a backpack class but would sign up for messenger bag class as well.

1 Like

Nice work!

I too would be interested esp given the canvas material and h.d. sewing.

1 Like

I would absolutely love to have made my very own DMS apron!!!

1 Like

Put me down. I’m interested.

2 Likes

-bounces up and down- Me! Me! I’m interested!!!

1 Like

Glad everyone’s interested! I’m drawing up designs and ordering materials, once I proof out the designs by making one of each I will set up the class on the calendar.

5 Likes

I have a 1 should messenger bag I would love to remake.

1 Like

Since I’m looking forward to teaching a class on gear stuff, I went ahead and created a “designing bags for outdoor and hard use” class that doesn’t involve sewing. It’s scheduled for 11 AM on July 7th.

2 Likes

Signed up, I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Darn, already full. Hopefully I can catch the next one.

I am out of town until the 10th. So you know you have two when you repeat it. :grin: