Class interest for outdoor equipment (Messenger bags, backpacks, duffles)

Don’t worry, I’ll be doing more of these classes soon!

3 Likes

Okay, next class should be showing up on the calendar here shortly - July 21st at 1 PM.

Class size will be limited to 12 people this time and I’ll have examples of some sewn products. I ask that everyone interested have some general idea of what they want to design, specifically what the goal of the equipment is (hold a laptop measuring blankXblank, a notebook, water bottle, etc.) This will serve as a starting point for you to follow along with my design process.

Hope to see everyone there!

3 Likes

@matthshooter

I was very disappointed that last time you offered the class, of the 6 people registered, none showed - though one did find a backup. Not cool.

Thank you for offering this class again. Your passion to share and teach is a wonderful example to us all.

3 Likes

That sucks. I could’ve taken one of the 6 spots instead, :frowning:

1 Like

I’m interested in this. The one you just submitted, is it the same description as last time? I was looking at that.

If same, it looks like it’s more a first step on how to plan your project, measure, etc, correct? I think that’s a good step.

Then if I’m understanding, there would be follow-up classes with later content (cutting, sewing)?

I ask because above it initially looked like first plan in thread above was more pre-cut we-all-do-the-same-thing. Ok as well, but I like the idea of learning to customize.

**QUESTION, if first class is more planning and discussion, would we need to bring the item then, or is that a later class? Like for personal project measuring (or do at home?)

(The whole reason I want a sturdy bag is my thingy is doable but awkward to transport. Want to make a transport/storage bag.)

Sucks on attendance on first one, but glad you’re giving it another go. I was disappointed I was out of town that weekend

Same as last time - the focus is on designing your own stuff. Others will be added. The final sewing up your project will probably be an open office hours type of set up where I will be at DMS and you can sew your project together with my input and help. But that’s down the line a little.

I want to do a project class, just hard to do a larger project with one actual industrial machine (the Pfaff and Rex will not handle thicker stuff at all, and the Pfaff does not have a walking foot, making sewing some materials a giant pain with a steep learning curve to make it look good). They will be coming though.

You mostly just need the item’s dimensions, or a rough idea of the size. I’m going over the process in such a way that you’ll be able to adjust your measurements based off the items you wish to put in the bag, i.e. if you need to change measurements to fit your laptop or thing, you will know how to adjust your pattern to do so.

4 Likes

Sounds perfect.

Yeah, I wondered about logistics for a project class. I think your solution is a good one.

Somewhat related, Adam Savage just released for sale the plans for his EDC bag 1 and 2 on his site. https://adamsavage.com/collections/plans-tape-measure I ordered a set for myself because, well it’s Adam Savage.

@matthshooter it might be nice to make some of these using your machine and skills if we can acquire some sail fabric or similar. Maybe take it a step further and design a DMS Toolbag. I’ll be making these from leather, to use as my DMS Toolbag.

5 Likes

The way they sewed it together was a little wacky, but we can modify the plans as needed to make it more amenable to leather as I wouldn’t do an inside-out seam construction with a heavy leather bag (7-9oz).

Sail clothe is a fairly vague fabric term - there’s lots of different materials it could be but based on the weight in the video it was some kind of poly or cotton twill that was not treated with any waterproofing layer. The material the bag uses can be a 15 or so oz wax canvas duck material, all leather, any number of synthetic materials, or a hybrid.

Let me know when the pattern gets in, I’d be happy to work with you on it.

1 Like

The new class is finally showing and I just signed up. Looking forward to next Saturday :slight_smile:

3 Likes