Checking Interest for a Cosplay SIG

Although i know that we have a few cosplayers at the space, i’m sure that there are more among us.

I’d like to see who would be interested in creating a ‘special interest group’ for all things cosplay, who could meet every few weeks and share tips, tricks, outfits and props, and discuss upcoming conventions and other appearances.

We could probably persuade @uglyknees to get some small tools and materials, and I’d like to see the group take the lead in teaching some cosplay specific classes (costuming, mold making, foam crafting, etc) to the masses.

Share your ideas, thoughts and dreams :smiley:

Limey

5 Likes

Yes, I’m interested. Don’t forget all the various punks out there: Steam, Cyber, Diesel.

I think this is an area that would attract a large number of folks to DMS if up, active, promoted.

2 Likes

I would also be interested

Count me in. Steampunk is my preferred genre, but I slip into fantasy, and dieselpunk as well. Most of my work is in Leather, with some small metalcraft, etching, riveting, and a bit of LED wiring. I’m just learning how to use Adafruit Wearables too.

1 Like

Maybe that could be a name for the group, Cosplay Punks :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My 14 yr old is taking a home school course on Cosplay, I am quite sure I have enough contacts with the 501st, and mandos, and other groups to provide a list of knowledgeable speakers if someone wants to run the ball.

1 Like

You should post something about this on the Cosplay Dallas Makerspace group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/471141326428144/).

I’ve never done cosplay myself; but, my friend’s son recently reached out to me to ask about cosplay related activities, etc… that happen at the 'Space.

I suggested he check out the #creative-arts:costuming-and-props category, as well as the Cosplay Dallas Makerspace group for starters.

On that note, would y’all be wanting to keep the #creative-arts:costuming-and-props subcategory separate from any possible “Cosplay Interest Group” category - or would you like to have the current “Costuming and Props” category changed to be called the “Cosplay” category. If y’all chose to have the two be one, then let me know if you want the category to remain as a sub-category under #creative-arts or moved to be a sub-category under #interest-groups

:dms: :smiley:

1 Like

Definitely interested

I would definitely be interested!

So there’s already a cosplay group? or is this different?

There is a subsection of creative arts for “Costuming and Props” but from what i can tell, it is rarely used. We can probably rename it like Lisa mentioned with hopes it will be used more.

I’m hoping with a little invigoration, the whole cosplay community can bring some cool classes, etc, to DMS

2 Likes

Cosplay includes costumes and props, so renaming it would be good.

We can keep it under Creative Arts, as the majority of skills will be based there

1 Like

I like it. Particularly because it can involve a lot of the different areas at the space. 3D printing, Laser cutting, machining, electronics…

3 Likes

Exactly, its such a mix of trades! I’m excited to see what happens

2 Likes

I have renamed the Costumes & Props subcategory to be Cosplay (#creative-arts:cosplay). :dms: :smiley:

1 Like

Lisa for right now I’d suggest we leave the costuming and props as is, if the new SIG gets up and running it will take over that function and may be renamed to reflect a new focus. Because the actual techniques have great overlap - more of a focus perspective, there won’t be two groups.

In fact many of the skills needed will reside in two other CA SIG’s: Sewing and Leather. Also 3D Fab, Metal/Machine/Wood/Electronic/Jewelry Committees will also be skills and equipment used, This SIG will be bringing various disciplines focused on a specific product to be created.

@uglyknees you agree?

Ya, we tried before to get it off the ground and it puttered out. Now with Axie and Kris starting to take on worbla classes and renewed energy towards how we can create interest - I see more potential in the area.
I would also keep it cosplay and props for now.

2 Likes

How about throwing something on the calendar as an open invite just to get interested people in the same room? The purpose need be nothing more than maybe getting together to see what kinds of cosplay people are interested in, and maybe ask members to bring in costumes, or props they’ve made to share ideas?

3 Likes

Good idea, how does a month from now sound? I can get some posters made and put up around the space and advertise on FB etc

What day would work best for everyone? Weekend for me personally

I am not a cosplayer, but I am willing to lend my knowledge in electronics to the group. I do build build models, so in a way, I guess I am into props.

2 Likes