Cheap pinball finds - discussion thread for new projects

Hey pinballers-to-be… looking for an inexpensive new project to get started with? In this thread I’ll post some of the better finds which look promising in terms of low price and fun factor, as well as things to watch out for.

$200 for Surf Champ - http://littlerock.craigslist.org/tag/4872774159.html

• Artwork is missing from the cabinet (stained brown) but it is possible the original artwork is still underneath and may be recoverable
  • Backglass looks good and is not excessively peeling/flaking. Need to see the backside and how it looks when illuminated to ensure poor touchups were not done.
  • Note: Left slingshot plastic appears to be broken. Will need to fabricate a new one or buy a new set of plastics altogether ($65).
  • Overall, I think this would be worth the drive to inspect & pick it up.

2 Likes

This does look like it is priced correctly if it is playable, or only needing cleaning to play well. Play field looks OK, nothing a cleaning wouldn’t fix at first glance. $200 is the price range of a project machine, but if this play it is far less of a project than the price would suggest. Back glass is my only real concern, I would want to see pictures of it lit and what the backside of the glass looks like. Also, a shot of what the electronics looks like would be good as well, to make sure we haven’t had mice or rats in the machine. If some one calls this guy and gets more pictures please post them and Nick and I can make further suggestions if it is worth running up and checking out.

I’ve played Surfer, my proffered versions of this game. Only difference is it is a 2 player instead of a 4 player. The game play is fun and the art is top notch. I would be running up to see this machine, but Sinbad has some issue that I’m not sure the fix. I would bet this game cleaned up and playing with a repainted cabinet (back to original) would sell for $1000.00 with no problem. So you could fix it up and play till your tired of the game and sell it for more than you put into it. A real win win in pinball.

Another inexpensive Pinball Machine: Found by @nickdangerous
$350 [Cosmos (1969 Bally EM)][1]

• Cabinet artwork looks Cool ( a real head turner next to other EMs)
  • Playfield and plastics look in good condition
  • Back Glass looks to be in good condition (but need picture of it lit and from other side)
  • In Philadelphia :grin:

This game caught mine and Nick’s attention at Arcade Expo in Banning California. The machine is a stunner in the looks department, but the game play can be BRUTAL. In a similar vain to Doozie, a good kind of hurt. Another cool feature of the machine is a it has a back box animation where a satellite orbits a green moon in the back glass. This is a fun and pretty machine. But, you have to be able to take a bit of a beating. It takes a lot of skill or luck to get a high score on this machine.

If you are wanting to buy this machine I would make a first offer of $200 but be willing to go to $275, because you will have a shipping cost for this machine from Philadelphia. Ask @nickdangerous for more details on shipping, but to my knowledge it is usally $300. So if this machine is in your hands at a total cost with shipping of $500 - $600 it seems like a safe project and a beautiful pinball machine.
[1]: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/clt/4873566933.html

For $200 I would try to pick it up, it would have to be stored at DMS in Vector area. Maybe if I can get my dad to drive to little rock and back, that might be the challenge.

It’s a smidge farther than a trip to Houston, but not too bad. Easy round-trip on a weekend or day off.

If you are seriously interested I’d email the seller ASAP. It should sell quickly at that price since it is one of the more desirable Gottlieb’s. As mentioned, the original artwork might be lurking under the painted cabinet and could be recoverable. We have enough room to squeeze it in the VECTOR workshop right now.

1 Like

I replied to the craigslist ad to see if it’s available. If my dad won’t do the trip maybe someone wants to go with me to pick it up.

it’s too far of a drive I’m going to skip these and look for something closer that’s an EM.

cool, well we will keep an eye out for you. Also, @nickdangerous there is no way that the artwork is left, that is stained wood, not painted.

I wish I would have known about it. I just returned from Little Rock yesterday. Not sure if it would’ve fit in my Tahoe with mine and the wife’s luggage, though.

Aww thanks. Shawn has some EM pinballs for sale so I might go with that.

I do have some pinball projects for sale but they are quickly being sold… I will be hopefully headed to Austin to pick up a 1972 Bally Fireball EM pinball this weekend so if there is something that you see that you want in the Austin area or along my line of travel on I-35 I may be able to haul a second game back…

1 Like

@nickdangerous pinball signal has been lit, now we just wait and see if he shows up. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Whoop whoop, warning. Extensive collection of pins in one location. Reaching maximum density, event horizon forming!

1 Like

If I bought a pinball machine, I wouldn’t be able to store it in Vector area unless I was working on it and “learning” I just want one that works and is playable.

Correct. We do not have room for anything other than active projects.

Now, if you wanted to bring in a working game to do upgrades, experiment with swapping out LED’s/controller boards, or tighten up and tweak some of the mechanical elements that would qualify. However, at the present time, DMS hasn’t designated any specific area as a lounge/arcade and we can’t spare any room in the workshop, unfortunately. All projects in VECTOR at this time are undergoing active construction/restoration (or they get the boot!).

Currently we have the room (barely) to squeeze in one more pinball or arcade-sized project.

$300 in Denton - Fun Fest - http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/4885878516.html

• Cabinet needs a repaint, but isn’t too bad as-is.
  • Backglass has lost the reds and has faded, but might be repairable with frost gloss paint.

1 Like

Looks like a lively game, lots of pop bumpers and an animated playfield target. Plus, has a post that pops up between the flipper.

Here is a video of the gameplay: (same title but not the machine being sold)

2 Likes

Not sure how good this game would be, it’s another EM Williams. I don’t like the theme but looks pretty good.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/clt/4887556842.html

Meh… it’s pretty mediocre. That Fun Fest in Denton for $100 less is a better player.

Alas, it appears to have been sold… :confused: