Cheap pinball finds - discussion thread for new projects

@themitch22
It is too bad it already sold. That was a cool find, It had some interesting art, I would describe it as something between Doozie and Spanish Eyes. So on that front a cool machine. It definitely is a B title, but that means you don’t have to pay top dollar so plus there. I’ve played this machine in the past and it is fun, but the difficulty is very high, some would even call it a game of chance. This is because of the slingshots and the wide out lanes. If I was going to buy this machine for myself I would of offered $200 and felt safe, being able to play it till I was tired of the game and then sell it to the next lucky owner. In the pinball world, we call this playing for free. Whatever profit you would make is spent in parts, but you got to play the game the whole time for free. A pristine version of this machine I would expect to top out at about $1100 to someone that fell in love with the art.

@Nick isn’t this your moms favorite pinball machine. Pretty spendy but would make a great gift! :wink:

Revenge From Mars is cool. You can get those for closer to $2000. :smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure where you can find one for 2K, but if Nick says it, he has probably seen it. That is a really fun game, and FUNNY! Plus, the hologram effect is really cool. It is too bad these machines didn’t take off more, they put everything on the playfield, which is perfect for pinball.

Man that would be awesome. I really liked this game, one summer I stayed at a hotel for a camp and probably spent like $20 playing through the game.

Snow Derby - $200

Located in Houston. Need more photos, but from what I can tell the backglass, playfield, and cabinet all look decent. It’s a fast 2-player game with spinners to hit, return lanes for the flippers, and bonus countdown for number of laps completed.

video of gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IAzO3nqYP4

1 Like

If I could get someone to pick it up that would be great, it would be a nice gottlieb EM and the price is right.

Dang, I actually like that one. Almost glad I can’t afford it, peeps would kill me as soon as I stripped the
graphics for my re-theme idea that I’ve been wanting to grab a base cabinet for…

1 Like

Yeah that one is too nice to gut & strip for a custom pin. What are you thinking in terms of re-theme? It’s pretty hard to find a suitable candidate for much less than $200.

Talked to the guy and looks like Nick and I will be picking it up Saturday then bringing it to the Makerspace. He said it’s running but has issues resetting. I’m definitely excited and think it’s a good start in pinball and looks like a fun game.

A retro tiki theme, lots of warm colors. One of the reasons I liked the Snow Derby pin is the
layout would go well with the general idea of how I would like to do the new graphics.

2 Likes

Congrats Mitch. This one looks like a real winner for $200. Welcome to the wonderful world of EM’s.

Hardsuit: Awesome idea! I’ve had a tiki bar re-theme on my project back burner for a while. Check out this one… http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2607

2 Likes

New contender: Gottlieb Volley (1976) - currently listed for $99 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gottlieb-Volley-Pinball-Machine-/231494327598

Located in Van Buren, Arkansas (about 4 hour distance). Seller will drive “up to 100 miles toward buyer” which would make it about a 2 1/2 hour trip. Easily doable from Dallas.

Simple and fun game with lots of targets & plays fast.

1 Like

Great article and video about Volley here: http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/06/10/featured-game-gottlieb-volley/

Wow $100. I feel like we should start hording all the Gottlieb EMs in the texas/Arkansas area. Maybe use Vector’s funds to have a DMS owned machine we can use for classes and demo.

Ultimately yes we will build a DMS machine but it will incorporate the latest & coolest stuff… not a retrofit or EM tech. Needs to showcase everything we do in the present.

BTW, there’s no way that Volley will sell for $100. It has a reserve price. I’d probably hop on it at $500 or even more if I weren’t already overwhelmed with new projects!

1 Like

That article is pretty cool, a pinball to support a historic moment! :slight_smile: To bad I’m not much of a fan of the game play. The machine plays really small with few things to do. The art work looks good, but also generic. I bet this would be a hard game to flip but, not impossible.

Bally 1973 TIME ZONE, restored in 2006 on Ebay in Whitehouse (near Tyler).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231491847539?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l4455&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI231491847539.N7.S1.M653.R1.TR1.R1.TR1

Auction ends at 7am on Wednesday, currently it’s at $211.50 (reserve isn’t met yet at that price)

1 Like

It might be worth since it is local. Here is a video of the game play. The play field hole is so cool. Game play is kind of lame, but this machine would be a real looker and I’ve never seen one before. If I had the money I would make a bid, but nothing tells what their reserve is at?

Good find. Time Zone (2-player version) is better and less common than the 4-player known as Space Time. It is a simple game but the artwork and tunnel bonus special FX make it pop. Fun, but not essential… and worthy if it could be had for a song.