Changes in Woodshop Annex

Big thanks to @rlisbona and his helpers who welded up a stand for the panel saw today, hope to have it in service soon.

5 Likes

I do agree with you, trimming would be a good practice and it does get used as a trash can for people who don’t want to throw their stuff away which is rude and lazy, but I don’t want there to be an all out chastising of people leaving leftovers, causing people to just throw away big pieces of usable material, 1 it’s wasteful and stupid to have it just end up in a landfill and 2 people myself included can actually make use of it, all though in my case it’s just as equally not eco friendly cause it still ends up in a landfill
I mean if there is fine ok, I’ll just buy my own plywood no big deal, but I always found the freebie shelf personally a good way to have use made out of scraps I produce, made me feel not so wasteful in throwing out what is sometimes good sized sections of usable material that tons of people at the space could actually utilize and I imagine others felt the same I do when I have large sections of nice material to toss

1 Like

What level of volunteer work is needed to run the scrap shelf? Clean up once a week? Bi-weekly?

This reminds me a lot of the discussion over the giveaway Shelf. And I have the same problem of collect letting a lot of junk what it took their wash some folks don’t like using it to take the initiative to keep it cleaned off with some regularity if I saw something that was just trash that took the trouble of putting it to the trash Beth Beth is just did a wonderful job of keeping up with this I’m sorry to say that I but it takes someone who thieves Thief utility in utility and some of the and maybe you can say that you earn your fancy piece of wood by doing some work.

It gets cleaned at least once a week.

1 Like

@MTLmanglr did most of the prep work, well all of it, I just tweaked the parts as we assembled it enough to make it look like our rough ballpark measurements were spot on, and having to break my tack welds due to a measurement error on my part never happened and will never be spoken of again.

5 Likes

Give me a proposal on how to manage this and better educate members on keeping things trimmed down. Let’s find a way to bring it back that makes sense for everyone.

1 Like

Someone already graciously volunteered and as pointed out when there’s people who volunteer to be in charge of it, the system works very well, and since the only problem we really ever had with it, is the volunteer input required. But like I said bring it back or don’t bring it back I’m ok with whatever your new policy is, just I personally see a lot of usable material like a crap ton go through the space left as freebies and people make use of instead of it just getting chucked in the trash, so if there’s no way to have someone repurpose, it’s a shame but not something I can do anything about so I will adjust accordingly and bring my own plywood

3 Likes

Technically what I’m managing is the shelf where folks drop off random things that they’d like to give away. Not quite the same thing as the wood shelf.

Although, I’m considering this thing too. First I should see how everything else goes.

3 Likes

Yea I know but that shelf does allow for a place for me to put larger pieces or nice wood if I have scraps so to me it serves the same purpose and I’m sure it will to others too

3 Likes

True. I can keep an eye on that as well. And treat more of the random fiddly bits as straight up trash.

2 Likes

Anybody know where the small liquid hide glue pot went? I’m getting a replacement one now but just curious if it was trashed or moved

Bath you are a gym to be willing to help with this I guess I wasn’t as clear as I should have been about the you doing the Michael trade shell. Waiting for it to come back I had a home van of beedrillite and stuff that was supposed to go on it on March 17th last year

I’m seconding the usefulness of scrap wood. even the “small ones” that are like a foot long or whatever. i use them all the time for clamps / braces on project and sometimes even just outright make something out of wood that was thrown away.

1 Like

As I see the issue and from my personal perspective from what I understand:

Educating people on what useful scrap is and how to cut it down so that it is useful = easy

Getting people to actually do it correctly instead of leaving garbage and then arguing that it’s useful = improbable at best.

Whereas I don’t like being pessimistic and I have, myself, benefited from the presence of a scrap area on more than a couple of occasions, there was more often than not, trash that someone did not want to properly cut down to the useful portion or properly dispose of.
Be it laziness, uncaring or what not.

Personally, you will find me more in metal shop but anytime I leave scrap in the scrap been there, I make sure to cut down what is usable and toss the rest.

Unfortunately, there’s always those that don’t for whatever reason.
When I was military, we called them the 10%.

Unfortunately, that’s going to be your biggest issue here.

2 Likes

Perhaps uniquely, it seems like 40% of our users are in that 10%. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, plus with the metal shop someone can always take tiny pieces and make them into a big piece but with plywood once it’s slice and chopped nobody can use 85% of what’s being put there! I mean I completely agree with yalls points people will just be lazy and put what’s 100% trash in there but I don’t know I just don’t want to see it die and have to throw away stuff, one thing I always heard is “scraps have different meaning to everybody, so hardwood lumbers scraps would last me a year, just as my scraps would for instance someone who turns rings or pens it’d last them a year so it was always a guilt relief knowing someone could use what i can’t

The problem still comes down to it being a hassle for someone other than the person who created the potentially useful scrap to keep the area clean. And there are apparently only a few members who can make use if small usable pieces. Maybe set aside a small space in laser with a whiteboard with peoples names who are willing to take trash pieces to the dumpster, have a date next to their name for when they last culled the pile, if the last cull date stays fairly current, say a week or two then we are good, if they lose interest then toss the pile and remove the names, if we get new people signed up to cull weekly open the storage back up.

1 Like

The hide glue pot is on the sharpening table.

What we need is one (or more) of those members mentioned, i.e. one who cares about having the scrap bin; that make it to the 'Space on at least a weekly basis to keep an eye on it and manage/sort/clean it as needed; and that is engaged with/a user of wood-shop and laser areas (since those are primarily affected areas); that have enough extra time to have the 15-20 mins per week to do this (e.g. someone who is occasionally there all day or all night).

And, since it is a high IQ task, ideally the member would be a Mensa.

But I can’t think of anyone like that…

3 Likes