Changes in Woodshop Annex

“Ian! Ian! Something in the Annex moved!”

• Everyone reporting an issue, Probably

Good news! The annex is getting cleaned up and out!

I will be in the shop tomorrow evening and throughout the weekend to finish this cleanup, come help!

Safety PPE is available on the sharpening table. Safety glasses are absolutely required when operating the power tools, no excuses now!

If you’re on the hunt for something to do maintenance on a machine, try looking in the yellow bins on the floor they’re labeled with contents.

Several bins contain “wood for lathe class”. These are strictly for lathe classes- they were donated with this intention. Thanks.

16 Likes

P.S.

@Team_Infrastructure, the dumpster is full.

1 Like

P.P.S.

Woodworkers, The annex is not the dumpster, please take your trash out.

6 Likes

And the wall between the annex and laser (by the metal shop door) isn’t the dumpster either. Laser users please take your trash out. Nobody wants the three square inches left on your giant piece of plywood.

7 Likes

That looks awesome Ian, great job and thank you…

I would actually be hugely in favor of laser continuing do so, a lot of the pieces I make for my tables (from legs down to tiny draw habdles) are very unique and conceptual ideas so I rely heavily on making templates of every piece to see if it’ll work both practically and physically so my stuff is dependent on templates and the laser scraps work amazing as such. So I’m in favor of laser left overs big and small especially plywood

2 Likes

Are you still on for today if so what time are you starting?

I’m shooting to be up there by 10

More changes…

You might notice that the old clamp/ scrap cart is missing… it’s currently over in the new shop waiting to be broken down. Feel free to take materials, but don’t leave anything new, it’s being decommissioned.

In its old spot a new panel saw will soon be coming into service.

If you use a clamp or tool from this area, please return it and hang it back up!

7 Likes

File this under: This is why we can’t have nice things.

1 Like

Special thanks to:

@dougbcave who spent 8 hours today helping
@pjolone1 who spent 5 hours today
@got_tools who spent 4 hours yesterday
@collinrh who spent 2 hours today
@alyssalee who spent 3 hours yesterday

And several others who stopped by throughout the work sessions and helped. Couldn’t have gotten this far without your input.

A few more work days and I think we will have this completely cleaned up.

5 Likes

Because people use other people left overs to create pieces of furniture?

1 Like

No… Because that area was always a complete and utter shitpile of useless crap that people were too lazy to walk 50 feet to the dumpster.

2 Likes

I personally like scrap storage- not only am I a packrat, I agree that it’s nice to be able to make templates.

Unfortunately, As it stands, someone has to clean out the cart once or twice a month and it’s mostly trash, so that’s not ok.

If we’re going to have scrap storage we need to do better about educating people on what is scrap and what isn’t.

I’m open to ideas on how to better implement a scrap area, but right now it’s demanding too much volunteer labor to manage properly.

If anyone wants to put a proposal together on how to manage scrap, educate, and where to put it, I’m all ears. Let me know.

2 Likes

How do you plan to mitigate the sawdust on the panel saw so that it doesn’t get into the lasers?

5 Likes

It will have a vacuum attached to it that automatically turns on when the saw is engaged.

2 Likes

That’s what they do at Lowes Depot…their panel saw areas are usually pretty dust-free, or just minor amounts at the bottom. Of course, they are run by actual, trained employees, so there’s that.

2 Likes

Hang a sign over the dumpster that reads “scrap here” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

See when I see that while yes most of it is very much so trash that left side piece and the big square at the top would be what I consider very nice pieces for templates, it’s a good quality material and I do agree 85% of it is trash, I’ll happily take that whole big thing chop off the usable and trash the rest for whoever left it, to be able to get to use that 15% free of charge(which is what I always do when getting pieces for templates, I always take the whole piece and trash what’s unusable I never just pick a chose and leave the trash)

1 Like

Those are fine pieces and if people cut those off and left them for others then that would be a super nice thing for them to do. But they don’t and the while thing fills up with a pile of crap someone might or might not want, and which usually has to be taken to the dumpster by someone other than the laser user, you, or me (except a couple of times). Work-making for others isn’t very excellent.

1 Like