Ceramics Kiln News - November 2021

I’ll see what I can do so that you don’t have to come up here.

2 Likes

Bisque unloaded, shelves overflowing

Beth, I assume you got @ladysandry 's piece because I didn’t see it in the needs attention shelf but I didn’t go searching through the glaze shelf either.

1 Like

Actually, she got it before I got to it.

1 Like

Glaze unloaded please come get your lovelies

2nd photo, mugs top left, if you’re in this thread I have comment and question!

1. They’re beautiful, I love the glazes you’ve been doing on these! They’re definitely my jam.
  2. You don’t have to tell me your trade secrets (a yes/no works): have you been using commercial glazes on these or been making your own?

I think they are @lc622 's… I have been trying to get these secrets as well! But I don’t think she gets on talk much :frowning: If I am guessing, I think she’s layering Mayco or Coyote glazes… I love all the little crystals forming though :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

1 Like

When will the next bisque firing be? I haven’t seen my stuff yet, but I’m just trying to coordinate when I should make time to drive down. Thanks!

The shelves are very full these days so it may take a little longer to get your things through. We are firing a glaze or bisque kiln almost daily.

Keep an eye out here.

At least 5 days ago, a potter placed a large flat rectangle cookie on the bottom shelf, on top of a layer of mugs. Here it is today in its current state:

The cracking and breaking is likely due to it being stacked on an uneven surface. To prevent damage to the mugs underneath, I have gathered up the pieces and placed them on a shelf and emptied the shards out of the mugs. Potter, please come decide if are keeping the remaining pieces.

It is for this very reason that the shelves are labeled “please do not stack pieces other than your own.”

A few reminders for us all:

•When making large flat items, these should be placed directly on the flat shelf surface. If there isn’t sufficient space on the firing shelves, then consider holding off moving them over until there is.

•Do not handle or stack other people’s work. This includes stacking/nesting others’ work in combination with your own!

•The kiln team will only fire items in the same manner in which they have been placed on the shelves. If you are ok with your own items being being fired stacked/nested, place them on the shelf that way. If not, place them in a single layer.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. The flat piece was mine along with the mugs. I was trying to make a large buscuit, but it backfired. Thank you for clearing it out. I will toss it tomorrow.

Glaze and bisque unloaded please come get your things.

1 Like

Dear potter, these look to be greenware on the glaze firing shelf. Please move to bisque if glaze is underglaze. These will not be tired in a glaze kiln. Must be bisqued first

All, this is the needs attention shelf. If a piece is yours please come in and read the note with your piece(s) and resolve the issue.

Thank you

hi! the blue checkered pieces are mine, sorry for the late reply, didn’t know this chat existed. I am out of town, but they need to be bisqued, is there any way they can be moved for me? Also, I had three checkered mugs, but I only see two?

it was another with two handles

One of the mugs was mistakenly put in the last glaze run so it went to cone 6.

I can move the others for you to the bisque shelf on Friday morning.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ceramics Kiln News - December 2021