Ceramics Kiln News - November 2021

Getting prepared for November 1st items :slight_smile:

Remember to follow this thread and pick up your items ASAP. We are heading into the holidays and the shelves are staying pretty full these days. If your piece has a star in it please put the stars in the little glass dish on the shelf.

Thank you and Happy making!

2 Likes

Unloaded bisque, lots of stuff to pick up

2 Likes

Glaze unload

1 Like

When’s the next bisque going to be loaded? I’m surprised my item didn’t make it this last load since the shelves were pretty empty when I dropped it off. I’m just worried because I leave on a 2 week trip next week, so won’t be able to pick it up if it’s not done in the next couple days.

bisque was loaded last night your piece might be in there. what does your piece look like?

It’s a chip & dip platter thingy. It’s similar to the one that was in the last bisque, but both the plate and bowl are just plain round.

If I am seeing it right…on the kiln team only thread…it was not on the “this goes in next picture”. You might have put it on shelf right after they loaded the bisque that was just unloaded…so when Steve and I loaded yesterday…not seeing it in the picture…we did not load it. So many things are being put on the shelves…it is hard to tell what was there first aside from the kiln teams awesomeness on communicating with each other on their thread. So please forgive…your piece was not overlooked…we squished in as much as we could in the kiln :relaxed:

2 Likes

I don’t know what dates you guys loaded, but I put it on the shelves 10/30 when Olivia was loading the glaze. She told me a bisque load was going in the next day and the shelves were pretty empty at that point. :woman_shrugging: I put it near that boot that had a note (very cool boot BTW!) when I dropped it off.

It’s too late now no matter what, so I guess it’s going in the next load. I was told that would be Thursday or Friday. That means I won’t be able to pick it up until after Thanksgiving because I’m going on a trip. Just want to make the kiln team aware that it will be sitting there a while, but I’m definitely not abandoning it. I’ll be able to pick it up when I come to the Thanksgiving potluck they’re planning. FYI…everyone should come! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for all that you do! I’ve been hearing from ceramicists at other studios who have to pay per piece to fire in a community kiln – and it’s made me so grateful that DMS does it free with membership.

Does it take some time? Sometimes, yeah, especially when it’s busy. But it’s an amazing deal – and y’all do a good job.

I’m grateful for you folks.

6 Likes

The 30-day on bisque is really pretty lenient. Every 30 days or so, we put stars in the stuff that’s left. Once that round of stars hits its 30 days, we throw what’s still left out and do the next stars. I think the current stars have a couple of weeks left, so probably anything that comes out now has about 6 weeks before it becomes endangered.

I’ve been doing the stars, and I try to star just before a bisque comes out. That way I don’t have to star an entire bisque load, plus all the left-overs.

4 Likes

We shall keep the precious safe for you until you return :+1:

4 Likes

Unloaded bisque

3 Likes

Glaze unloaded.

2 Likes

What glaze is that purple bowl? That looks awesome!

Yes, looks great. @cmcooper0 made I believe.

Thanks!

3X Amaco Obsidian, 1X Amaco Smokey Merlot all over, then 2X blobby coats of Merlot along the rim.

Lots of Potter’s Choice glazes look great over a heavy Obsidian base; Seaweed is phenomenal.

5 Likes

bisque unloaded. temp reached a soft 04. come get your babies.

1 Like

Hi there, I put some bisque fired pieces back on the greenware shelf because I painted them with slip, and I’d like them to be re-fired. I plan on putting a clear overglaze on them, and I don’t want the slip to run. I left a note but I wanted to message here too just in case it was lost. Thank you!

4 Likes

Good evening,

Bisque is unloaded and shelves are overflowing :slight_smile:

Needs Attention Shelf:

Additionally, if these are your pieces on the glaze shelf, could you kindly reach out to @Team_CeramicsFire ? Would like to ensure what the desired outcome is before moving forward in glaze firing.

2 Likes

glaze unloaded. come get your babies