1 Like

Unloaded glaze also!
IMG_8438
IMG_8437
IMG_8436
IMG_8433
IMG_8434

1 Like

Last Tuesday I placed my first ever piece on the bisque shelf (I am a newer member and newbie potter) I haven’t seen any pics uploaded of it fired in the kiln yet, so just wondering about how long it takes before I can come glaze it? Any insight is appreciated! Thank you!

There is a lot on the shelves…i would take extra time and look slowly…it is there…or if not, it is in the kiln or still on the shelf.

2 Likes

You do mean that you put it on the greenware shelf, right? The one to the far right as you’re facing the kilns? And it was dry, right? The Kiln Team moved a boatload of greenware back onto the in-progress shelves because it wasn’t dry. We’re currently debating what to do with wet greenware that’s on the to-be-fired shelf. Personally, I’m voting for the option where we move the wet stuff to the top shelf, as I feel like it’s just going to cause confusion if we move wet stuff back to in-progress.

3 Likes

Yeah I put it on the greenware shelf. I am pretty sure it was dry since it had been like 2 weeks days since I threw it… Is there a good way to tell it’s fully dry? I agree, I think having wet pieces be placed on the top shelf rather than back on the in progress shelf would be beneficial.

1 Like

Bisque is out

Unloaded glaze!!

Unloaded bisque!!

Unloaded bisque

A reminder: several months ago the committee did vote to require large cookies under bead racks. It can be very difficult to disassemble this for loading/unloading, plus having a cookie under the whole set up minimizes additional breakage opportunities! Thank you!

:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Unloaded bisque!

2 Likes

Hi all! We have been having trouble with wet green ware being placed on the “green ware to be fired” shelves. This causes issues for our kiln team and is potentially hazardous to our kilns and pieces surrounding it in the kiln.

We have made an extra needs attention shelf for items that are wet on the green ware shelf. We will not place them back onto the green ware shelf once they are dry, it is for the owner of the piece to do. This is to discourage any wet pieces being placed on the shelf going forward, as we have been running into half the shelf being wet at times. This has made kiln members come up to the space thinking the shelves were full so they would load, and they were unable to do so because it is all wet. Please be mindful of our volunteers time as this is 100% volunteer position and we don’t want to add to their plate. It takes 45 minutes-2 hours for them to unload and reload on their kiln day. They go above and beyond for y’all! Be kind in return.

From now on, anything that goes on the needs attention shelf will be posted in this thread, since often pieces go “missing” but they have been placed on that shelf and posted on the needs attention thread. We realize people often don’t check for other threads, so needs attention announcements will now go in here. (Regardless, always check the other threads before posting a question in a community thread! This is normal DMS policy)

By us posting needs attention here, your piece will be seen and you can get it fixed up ASAP without wondering where it went.

We will continue using the top shelf mostly for glaze/underglaze issues.

We have made another shelf for wet green ware time out. Again, we will not place it back once it is dry, you must come get your piece and put it on the shelf when it is dry. If you put your wet piece back on green ware we will put it back on the needs attention shelf:

Ways to know if your piece is dry:
Do not have pieces thicker than 3/8-3/4 inch. If you do, you must dry them out for weeks leading up to the firing, especially in humid spring weather. If your piece is normal thickness, place it on your wrist. Does it feel cold? It is wet. Wait for it to dry, it should be room temp when it is dry.

If there are further concerns, please DM me or start a seperate thread, as we do not want to clog up our main kiln news announcement thread for the whole community.

Thank you,
Jamie R.

6 Likes

Glaze unloaded!

1 Like