Ceramics Kiln News - February 2021

Yes. There’s a bucket in the corner kinda behind the kilns that’s used for mixing up the kiln wash. There may be some there. There’s a brown paper sack in the shelves with the shelves and other kiln stuff. I always used to mix it to pancake-batter consistency, but I don’t know if we’ve been going thinner.

I can show you- when will you be in this week?

The kiln wash should be in the whole milk consistency…which is what was discussed at the kiln team meeting.

Better to have two thin coats vs something that can flake off onto other pieces.

I’ll be at the space this eve at 4 conducting kiln training. If you happen to be able to come by before 6, I’d be happy to help you with the kiln wash and process.

If tonight doesn’t work we can coordinate another time that does, just let me know :blush:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks guys!
My workweek is crazy busy (help!), so I’m guessing it’ll be the weekend before I make it out to the space, unfortunately.

No worries, we can connect with you then. We appreciate the help, enthusiasm, and desire to learn!

1 Like

Unloaded bisque from 1027

I meant to mention that anything out of the ordinary i.e. underglaze, wax resist, iron oxide, low fire, etc… should always be labeled so that the kiln team understands what it is and that you know it is different.

This will help your pieces not end up on the “Needs Attention” shelf.

1 Like

Cool, thank you for pitching in:)
I’ll be up there Friday at 5:30 pm for kiln duty, can show you then if that works with your schedule.

1 Like

Ok I’m sorry I will make sure to label anything like that in the future for sure! Thank you for letting me know I hope everything was fine!

I heard through the grapevine that you knew it was low fire, so I was able to load it in bisque. Looks like all was ok :+1:

1 Like