Ceramic Kiln News - February 2023

My main concern is not having a cookie to catch the piece. It would be more comfortable to give the piece a bit room if it’s a glue we’re not used to using and might interfere with other’s glazes. @VSDflo many of your larger pieces do not have the right sized cookies because it must fit the profile of your piece, which means to say you need to have cookies that fit the largest diameter of your piece and not just the lip of your pieces. This also means please do not use very large cookies for small pieces as it takes up kiln space. This issue being an outlier because you would need a large enough cookie in case your flower falls off.
However, your pieces are put on the needs attention shelf frequently because you are not providing your own cookies for all your pieces because you’re glazing all the way to the bottom. Please adhere to the kiln rules.

3 Likes

@Steve1 @Monikat Thanks for your responses and thoughtful advice. Appreciate it and I will do whatever is necessary per community guidelines and for safety of everyone’s work.
@Steve1 Maybe I should fire it separately and then glue it on? As you can see in the picture, it rests on the other flower and might hold on for a little bit.
Grateful for the research you did… learned something there!
@AnnaMarie The flower broke due to reasons beyond my control and I am trying to find out best options possible (in advance) to make it a safe experience for all. I do appreciate your thoughts: Kindly note that three pieces needing attention were promptly taken care of. And my large cookie had been m.i.a. in this department for a long time. My most recent Saturday search was finally successful. I will bring it back for this vase.

My question is: Why aren’t you using Bisque Fix? That stuff stays on through a glaze firing. That’s what I use when the wings on my dragons break. We have a relatively new jar.

4 Likes

Thanks and love you for mentioning that Beth. I hadn’t tried /needed that since beginner ceramic days. I will try it after removing some glaze…

1 Like

Glaze unloaded

5 Likes

is this available in the ceramics area?

I have a small part I need to re-apply.

It is still green, but have underglazed

Let me look (later tonight). It’s a small jar, about the same size as the underglazes, and it’s in that same rack.

It should have water standing on top. That keeps it from drying out too fast. Gently pour the water off into a cup, then pour it back on top when you’re done. You may want to mix some BF with some slip from your clay. It is a stark white normally. If you’re good with that (I usually am), then you don’t have to bother with the slip.

I’ve generally had good results with repairing broken bits in greenware (particularly small ones) with slip. Some people swear by slip made with vinegar, but I haven’t found that to be necessary.

2 Likes

So – I’m seeing 2? 3? kiln unloads that don’t have pics here.

You are in February :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks Beth, and sorry to bring up this for confusion.

It worked well on my vase Beth! It was creamish when I used… and sorry I didnt know about filling water. Thanks I learned something from you again.:pray:

1 Like