Ceramic Kiln News - February 2023

It might have gone into kiln yesterday for bisque? Not yesterday…but there is a bisque load cooling.

Bisque unload:

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Q About Glazing/ReGlazing/Firing/ReFiring

Fresh glaze!

4 Likes

Unloaded bisque

3 Likes

Glaze unloaded….y’all seriously have done fantastic stuff….come get’em

2 Likes

Hi! Please rescue n save my practice clay left on the last wheel near glazes🙏 (lost 2 lbs of my brown stoneware clay left last week). Please advise/ help. I would be so grateful.

I moved it to one of the side tables under the cabinet with the brushes. Hopefully it will still be there for you when you come back.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Sweet of you❤

Unloaded bisque

1 Like

2 Likes

Unloaded bisque and the shelves are full please come get your stuff!!!

2 Likes

Glaze unloaded

2 Likes

Unloaded glaze! Come get your pretties!

There was also a boo-boo where 2 became one….

2 Likes

I wanted to caution our kiln team that my big vase has a broken n glued flower (middle flower on the smaller V neckline) and a ball under the largest leaf.
Since it is a vertical piece, my concern is the attached pieces might fall when the glue burns off. (Large cookie? Locate facing wall? You know best!)

On a shallow bowl made earlier, the attached piece had stayed in place till the glaze held. (For anyone interested, gorilla glue held it in place, till the glaze did its magic!)

oh yay!! we love that!! lol

@VSDflo if glue is being used you need to use school glue only. I have been told that all others can burn and give off toxic fumes.

@cmcooper0 @AnnaMarie @Steve1 any thoughts on gorilla glue and toxic fumes?

Also, anything that falls off with glaze on it could damage another piece or the kiln. If we can fire as is, we will need a cookies and potentially a shield (sagar) to avoid damage to other pieces or the kiln.

2 Likes

Generally I’d side with Monika here, we need to keep the random variables in our firings down to a minimum as much as possible since we share the kiln with everyone else in the community. Gorilla glue probably ok, but what about two-part epoxy, super glue…we need to stick to what is community approved.

Having said that, I was curious so i did a little google research on glue…
Way back in kindergarten (a long time ago) I remember kids tasting Elmer’s glue - ughh gross…the point being it wasn’t toxic. The story was it was made from horse hooves or something like that - not the case anymore it’s vinyl. Gorilla glue it turns out is just two agents that turn into polyurethane when activated by water, I wouldn’t eat it but not overtly toxic considering it’s probably a drop.

Aside from the toxic aspect, it’s almost 100% going to fall off because…gravity…no getting around it. The glue will burn off by 1000 degrees at which point it may still be in place because the glaze hasn’t liquified yet but once it does it will slide down and settle at the bottom of the piece attaching itself to the vase and the cookie.
Some cone 6 glazes have a high melting point where it might stay viscous enough to sorta stay in place but I’d give that less than 10% chance, many of our glazes are liquid at bisque temps. If it’s a horizontal project that works great but vertical it gets sketchy real quick.

You want to fire it that way and take a chance then I’d load it with plenty space around it and a big enough cookie…that will probably be attached in the end.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts.

4 Likes

Unloaded bisque, come get your lovelies

1 Like

2 Likes