Calling Makers - Ceramics Glaze Rack Solution Needed

Hello,

Ceramics is in need of some inspiration and/or assistance in creating a rack for our glazes. The current racks are coming away from the cement wall and don’t quite suit our needs.

We would like to move the glazes to underneath our cabinets and we were thinking that something like the following pictures of angled racks might work well for our needs. They can be free standing or attached to the wall. It would be nice if they have a minimal floor space footprint, we need to access the cabinets above them. We are looking for a solution and help in getting it accomplished. We have a few volunteers who are willing to jump in and assist as well.

glaze rack 3

Let us know your ideas, potential costs, and/or if you can help us get it done.

Thank you!

1 Like

Crickets :cricket:

Ok, how about Ceramic folks who also work in the wood shop?

1 Like

If doing this in-house is important to you, the main thought that occurs to me is to try and leverage Multicam, i.e. something that can be run as/when needed. This would best support the approach you have in 2nd pic, i.e. a stackable set of units…if you need another, or one gets used/abused to point of needing replacing, just run the file that already would exist on the Multicam.

A full sheet of 3/4" MDF is currently about $65 (incl tax)

Alternatively, a shoe rack type thing might immediately solve your problem:

It is certainly faster, and probably less expensive overall (including, e.g., gas for trips to Lowes Depot) than doing it in-house. Hard to say how sturdy or dependable or long-lasting it will be without actually getting one, though. Just a thought…

https://www.amazon.com/SONGMICS-Stackable-Organizers-Storage-Adjustable/dp/B07KCTRG5L

5 Likes

That’s a great idea, thank you! @Team_Ceramics ?

1 Like

Please don’t constrain yourself to the home improvement big boxes. For the most part they are over priced and sell inferior quality wood products. DMS can source from actual distributors that sell quality products at better prices. Cabinet grade plywood and hardwood is a much better choice. It is a cabinet after all.

If you can get wine back to DMS, I will happily build you a jumbo wine rack:)

How do the cool studios on YouTube store glazes?

The ceramics crew should hunt down something that adds pizazz to your area and let’s build that.

1 Like

This looks look like an interesting design. I like the little samples hanging in front of the color. Are your containers the same size, or at least a consistent size? Could you have a size like this on the shelf and refill from bulk if required?

1 Like

90% of our glazes are just this size. The other 10% are not bigger in any dimension, so they would fit as well. We would still need 2. Our current shelving holds 6 of those bottles per rack shelf, and there are 2 racks.

I’d be happier with something like this, rather than the slanted shelves. Most potters have the glaze bottles stored straight up.

1 Like

Although i think they need to be shorter to fit underneath cabinets…maybe :eyes:

Yes, this is one I have been looking at along with a couple other designs.

@prl2018 has also reached out and we will be meeting Sunday morning to go through the ideas and talk about potential pricing. If anyone wants to join you’re welcome to at 9 AM or so.

@dryad2b the Mayco/Coyote bottles are a bit bigger in dimension but much shorter. I know we need to think about underglazes, stroke and coat, Mayco, and Amaco glaze bottle sizes.

I’m also taking into account the other items we want to move to under the cabinets so we can accommodate everything we would like to move.

Thanks, M

Others I’ve been looking at

2 Likes

I agree that a Multicam run file would be ideal as well as the use of a laminated wood product - Strong and stable without the movement associated with either construction grade or kiln dried s4s lumber. And repeatable as needed as Marhsall suggests.

One idea to throw out for consideration -

A series of hinged swing shelves under the cabinets? It would conserve space and allow easy access.

Monika - What is the weight of a full glaze bottle?

Another option might be a three sided (U shaped) shelf roughly the depth of the cabinets as Burt shows above. Might help utilize display space without taking up too much real estate along the under cabinet wall?

I weighed a couple full bottles and they weigh a little less than 2 lbs; 1lb 11oz.

The Amaco bottles are 3.25” in diameter, Mayco are 3.75” in diameter, and the underglazes are 2” in diameter

After a conversation with @prl2018 and @Christykaake this morning and all of the ideas we discussed, we ended with a thought that a potential multicam creation would help us recreate pieces if needed due to rough usage or wear and tear.

@SWA would you be able to help us with a the creation of a design and/or the execution? Or can you recommend someone who may be able to work with us?

I spoke with @prl2018 for a few minutes this morning about some loose ideas from your meeting. Do you have a sketch of what you want with some rough dimensions?

I don’t spend time in ceramics, so have no concept of what “under the cabinets” actually means, but I can’t help but think maybe something along these lines:

4 Likes

I do have a rough sketch and can put dimensions to it over the next couple of days. Thank you!

We are also looking at items like a carousel display you see in hardware stores. This is an interesting option as well.

Sample

It will also be helpful if you have an actual idea of your budget ceiling. Once you leave the world of wood, the prices for components skyrocket in many cases, if they are even available for purchase.

1 Like

Personal opinion: while rotating racks and stocking deep is a great way to gain more storage, it makes finding and choosing more difficult. Being able to look at all the options at once when you haven’t decided in advance what you want is awfully handy. Having a reference board of test tiles can alleviate that problem some and send you to the right storage via reference number, but that also requires people to put things back appropriately.

3 Likes

Thank you and good point!

1 Like

It’s possible I have spent too many hours standing in front of a glaze wall contemplating what on earth I’m going to do rather than having solid upfront plans. :slight_smile:

2 Likes