Calling Makers - Ceramics Glaze Rack Solution Needed

Hello, I plan on being in Thursday morning to measure the area and provide you those details.

I had hoped to get that information sooner but alas, my other priorities took over.

As far as costs go, we were hoping to avoid a board approval and keep it within a committee approval. For the right solution that will last long term I think we are open. Of course I would need Committee approvals :grinning:

Hi, I have some numbers to share for our potential shelving for Ceramics.

The hanging cabinets in the space are 28’ wide and there are 5 of them across the wall. Which is a little over 11.5’ across.

The current glaze racks take up 5’ of space across the wall today. But it is not a single file solution that we would like to have.

Bottle sizes:
Amaco (75) at 3"w and 5.5" h
Mayco/Coyote (12) at 3.5"w and 4"h
Stroke and Coat (24) at 2.5"w and 8.25" h
underglazes (24) at 2"w and 2.5"h
I know we need to account for wiggle room.

My thoughts were 5 shelves to accommodate the 5.5" tall items with a 6th shelf that holds the taller 8.5" bottles.

The shelf should be shorter than 44" so we have room to utilize the outlets and can be as wide as 6 feet (or two 3’ units). We would like a little larger top of the shelf for other uses (12")

Here is my draft…But I welcome any other suggestions/ideas.

A four foot long shelf is beginning to be a tad bit long. To prevent future sagging, the shelve’s thickness and edge banding will need to be designed accordingly. How much does a full bottle weigh? Max weight on a shelf?

So to start you need to consider the thickness of the shelves, if they are made out of plywood then they will be 0.75 inches, multiply that 6, it adds 4.5 inches to the shelf, so you would have 1 - 10" shelf and 4 - 6" shelves. You can build the shelves out of steel, using 0.25 inch strip steel going the length of the self and 1/16 inch steel sheets as the shelves themselves. Doing this only adds 1.5 inches instead of 4.5.

It looks like the shelf is 6 feet long, I would suggest having a brace in the middle of the shelf to help hold up each shelf.

Overall this can be built out of metal or wood rather easily. If you go with wood you should be able to make this out of a couple 4x8 sheets of plywood and using the table saw for most of the cutting. Steel will take some more work and money but will give you more space.

1 Like

Each bottle full is approx 1lb 11oz give or take a few oz. Should we thing about two 3 foot shelves?

Two 3 foot sections would also allow more flexibility in the event the configuration of the ceramics area changes in the future?

Yes, I was thinking that would be an added benefit.

We also want to consider the labeling on the containers. We don’t want to create a design problem for when an artist is perusing the inventory, but the labels are halfway hidden. It would be a pain to have to lift each one up to read the label.

The edge band width and position both keep the bottles in and supply structural rigidity for the weight. Think of it as a bridge. You need to keep the cars in and the bridge from bending downwards.

As you can see, there are a lot of details that go into custom cabinetry, otherwise you can just purchase something from a big box.

1 Like

@coffeebean I can’t seem to find the message you sent with a pic of a potential design. Would you send it in this thread please.

Burt, do you have something for us to look at? April said she would be happy to assist with the multicam.

Thank you all!

1 Like

I will be back this up there later this week and we can get squared away.

1 Like

It was on instagram…let me see if there is a link to it :+1:

Nick - Western Washington 🌲🏔⛴ shared a post on Instagram: "Just limitless possibilities with the CNC. Excited to keep exploring them all.
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

#i2rcnc #cncwoodworking #cnc #woodwork #woodworking #woodworker #woodworks...
See if this works

2 Likes

2 Likes