Breadboard Arduino Uno Class

Yeah, I saw that, and wanting to take that class! I had something going on, and couldn’t make it though. If you decide to do it again on mon, tues, wed I would sign up!

Hello Nick. Yep, still willing to help! Can you share a bit on your ultimate goal for the class? Did you want

to build an Arduino clone on a solderless breadboard in the classroom? Did you want to provide the PC board and parts

and guide students on how to make their own Arduino? I have found several articles w/schematics on building a

clone YouTube. I can use those schematics and see how far I can get on creating the PCB. Or, if you want,

take a picture of your schematic and send to me ([email protected])… ???

Best,

Mike

1 Like

Hey Mike. Ok, cool thanks! Yeah sure.

Goal is 2 part class, Breadboard Arduino Uno and optional Soldering the Arduino on PCB. Yes, I will be providing all parts, breadboard, 1 or 2 handouts, and PCB if they want it, and all these things would be kept by the participants. I think both of the classes would be under $30 combined.

Breadboard class is I guess 4 primary parts: to help participants understand all the parts to an Arduino Uno, build a clone on breadboard, debating on teaching uploading bootloader or doing it myself ahead of time, and uploading blink sketch with Arduino IDE.

PCB class is I guess 3 parts: go over schematic, parts list, and breadboard layout and how to move to PCB, go over soldering briefly, allow time to solder and help if needed.

If you like you can use those schematics. However sure, I can email you a picture of the schematic and layout I have on paper!

Thanks,
Nick

I’ve attached a PDF of an Arduino Clone schematic. Is this similar to what you

have designed? Some questions/comments on this schematic…

1. Did you want to include the +5V power supply on the PCB?

2. I’ve added two rows of MALE and FEMALE pins for a +5V BUSS
    and a GND BUSS. (Not functionally necessary but I always find
    when using the Arduino with sensors or other devices, I need
    to provide power connections as well as the digital signal from
    the ATmega28.)

3. I also assume you would want capability to use an FTDI module
    for programming??

4. Finally, (again not a functional requirement) do you want to
    leave space on the PCB to stick a mini-solderless breadboard?)
    Generally the PCB manufacturers have a minimum board size.
    Will see if it would accommodate the mini-breadboard without
    incurring any additional costs to use a larger board.

Let me know what you think. If you are “good” with this one, I’ll take a
shot at the PCB…???

Mike

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

ArduinoClone.pdf (26.6 KB)

1 Like

It is always great when a member helps another whether it is Making a physical project or designing and developing a class.

@miker is hereby awarded my Excellent Behavior of the Day Award!

3 Likes

Updated Schematic… forgot to include the female header for Dupont jumpers!!

ArdunoCloneV2.pdf (116.4 KB)

That is similar to what I am doing, but it doesn’t look like all the parts are there. I sent you a pic on your email of the schematic. I guess I can upload it here if I can figure that out lol. Didn’t know you could upload files directly in talk posts lol.

I am including a 2 pin header for raw power and gnd (next to barrel jack), as well as a barrel jack, standard 5v and 3.3v power regulation, 6 pin ftdi header, and everything in between for atmega328p to function properly.

EDIT: added picture of the schematic I have on paper. It’s a little rough, but it’s all accurate other than I drew the FTDI header mirrored accidentally. The FTDI header is supposed to be opposite order as displayed currently.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

I am trying my hand at KiCAD tonight, after everyone’s advice. Hopefully it will be more fruitful than the web app for the manufacturer I am going to use. Initially, I had thought that would be the easiest way to do it.

Got your pictures. Thanks. I will review my schematic and make necessary changes.
It looks like your goal is to create the clone with every function of the original UNO?
You can get the ATmega328 chip with the bootloader pre-installed. Is your target
audience the beginning ARDUINO user (one who has perhaps participated in one
of Brady Pamplin’s ARDUIO classes) or a user who has some experience writing and
executing scripts?

Your classes will be a wonderful offering at DMS! If you are committed to an exact Uno clone, all I can say is Go For It! As one who teaches beginner level classes, I try to keep things as simple as possible to reach a goal. The following ideas came to mind that might simplify your development or provide an initial project to be followed with the full blown Uno.

• Eagle files of Arduino projects are available on the official Arduino site under one of the open source licenses. This might jump start your development and give the result you desire.

• A first step might be a simplified board. For example, the voltage regulators could be eliminated and power supplied from a USB port or a USB phone charger.

• A custom shield could be a unique project. https://www.open-electronics.org/how-to-make-an-arduino-shield-with-eagle-cad-tutorial/

• A problem with Arduino designs is that there are no multi pin ports available. Several years back I followed a series of blogs about development of a minimal Arduino board. The claim to fame was the radio unit but I thought it would be great to have a board with the ports. PCB files may be available. https://jeelabs.net/projects/hardware/wiki/JeeNode#Design-choices

• How about a custom shield with provision for a couple of relays and four ports?

Good luck! You are developing a real following here.

Are you guys aware of this class which was supported by hackaday?
They provided parts for the board we built and pizza for the class.
It was a lot of fun.

Just an FYI really.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Well pretty much, its modeled after an Arduino Uno R3 not the original R1, minus the USB circuitry, add FTDI Header. Makes the MCU cost less, and as a result easier to embed in a project. My target is anyone interested. It’s not terribly complicated in my opinion. I feel confident I could help an inexperienced person fill in any blanks they may have, and someone more advanced should feel right at home or just won’t come if they think its beneath them lol. We are not going super in depth into code in this class. This is mostly about deconstructing a MCU on paper, and constructing it on a breadboard with a blink sketch. From parts, to working prototype. Finished product on PCB if you wish to stay for the 2nd part class.

I finished the schematic, maybe I’ll get the layout all done.

1 Like

Thanks Brady! Well it’s not an exact replica, but yeah its an Uno clone with some light modifications. Thanks for the tips!

1 Like

@coloneldan No, I wasn’t aware. How did they get the parts provided? Were you actually a part of this class?

Thanks for the info! I would love to be able to give the parts away if we could get them donated. That would be really cool!

1 Like

I was in the class. As I recall there were about eight of us or so. @Brandon_Dunson made all of the arrangements with the Hackaday.io folks. It was an excellent class where I believe everyone learned alot about PCB, circuit design and the Arduino.

3 Likes

@technick14 I was working for hackaday.com at the time and they sponsored the class.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay. I work nights so my schedule can seem a bit random lol.

@coloneldan cool! Sounds really fun! Yeah that is what I was trying to accomplish! I found this out on my own years ago, making a breadboard Arduino and ordered a PCB from a company that no longer makes them. Was hoping to learn how to make the PCB myself this go around, and give others the full picture. I found it very informative! Anyway, thanks for sharing!

@Brandon_Dunson oh wow, that’s really cool!! I love reading articles on hackaday.com all the time! Do you still work there? So, would it be unreasonable to think parts could be donated again? Appreciate any insights you may have! I did not realize anyone had done a similar class. Has your electronics group met since, or have you done this class an additional time?

1 Like

I’m sure it may seem a bit ridiculous how long the PCB design is taking me (no one probably feels that way as much as me lol). Anyway, I think I finally have an almost complete layout. However, I have no idea if the trace widths are adequate amongst other PCB design things I know nothing about.

1 Like

In the screenshot, you haven’t routed the traces yet, it’s just a “rat’s nest” which means it shows you how the two connections are meant to be made, but they are not yet made. Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but I don’t know what your familiarity with PCB layout is.

For what you are doing, you should be able to choose “any” reasonable trace and space since you’re doing through-hole and the tolerances should be doable by “any” PCB house, but I’d recommend looking to make 100% sure as a matter of practice before doing the layout. I once did a 6/6 layout and then found out the board house I wanted to use for time and cost reasons couldn’t do more than 8/8, which of course, meant either another 80 hours of layout or a couple $1000 extra for prototype and a cumulative extra cost on the BOM. I won’t ever make that mistake again.

For determining what you need for trace width, there are online calculators, but the short and the sweet of it is, as big as you can get away with and everything still fit. Try to give your power traces (like the USB 5V etc) fatter traces, and I’d recommend you think about what you are connecting and the maximum current and/or rise time you’d need for the signal you’re sending through that trace. If you want the simple route, think “power” and “logic” and just have two different trace/space rules defined for those in kicad.

2 Likes

You are good, I appreciate the input! Thank you for correcting my terminology. I am new to talking about it. I think about it as traces, but I should correct my thinking on that. Since as you stated the traces have not been routed. I have done layout on protoboard many times sucessfully. Never done layout in software. Any help is welcome!

Ok, thanks that makes sense. How does one, look “to make 100% sure” for the tolerances? I know in theory if you allow too much current to flow through a trace too small, it could burn out or simply won’t allow enough of the desired current to flow. I am not familar with this 6/6 or 8/8 terminology. Thank you for the advice!

Hum ok, I’ll try to figure that out.

I am trying to make a 2 layer board. Back is ground plane, front for rest, with vias where necessary.