Box and Dovetail Joints

The Incra fence/jig on the router table is specifically made for box and dovetail joints. Look in the bit cabinet for a manual that will explain how it’s done. Good YouTube videos exist too.

Are the templates available?

No more Incra, there is a new router table/fence now.

The templates are plastic strips with markings on them - should be a hundred or more of them that correspond to the various patterns in the book. And yeah, they should be with/near the book unless someone made off with them.

Wha?? What happened to the Incra?

As someone who doesn’t frequent the woodshop, I thought the new one was INCRA also…
EDIT: Per the photo in that thread, it is INCRA

That is a lift. That’s only half of what you need to make accurate box/dovetail joints on the router table :frowning:

1 Like

Incra lift, Rockler Pro fence, steel cabinet, and Phenolic table top.

The Incra fence system and cabinet were beat up pretty bad and falling apart. The fence system was missing a lot of parts (at least I could never find them) and the lift was broken.

1 Like

It’s cast iron, actually.

Under current leadership/management philosophy, we simply aren’t able to keep a precision piece of equipment like this in good working order, aka “that’s why we can’t have nice things”.

4 Likes

Under current member/user practices, we simply aren’t able to keep a precision piece of equipment like this in good working order, aka “that’s why we can’t have nice things”.

Realistically it’s a bit of both, but we really do have FAR too many members who use and abuse equipment without any concerns about responsibility.

1 Like

Maybe you want to run for one of those positions if you think a new direction is warranted.

1 Like

If you guarantee this will solve the problem, I’ll do it.

No guarantees, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a concern solved with a keyboard. Takes skin in the game.

yep…more skin than any one person has, probably.

Depends…its kinda like someone marching around in a circle in fromat of a business all day with a sign that says “Unfair Wages/Management Practices Here!” It may have a desired effect, or it may not.

I’ve spent 7 decades on this rock circling the sun. I’ve come to think that issues generally fall into two categories: 1) Inconveniences and 2) Problems. Problems are the only issues that truly attract enough effort to move the needle. Any given individual may categorize an issue one way or the other. However, you can always tell what they really regard it to be by their actions … not their words. Your “marcher” is a doer who may start out as an inconvenience to management and then stay long enough to be a problem at which point something will happen. The keyboarder on the other hand is always just a delete key away from insignificance and is unlikely to ever become a problem.

1 Like

A lot of “doers” are similarly spinning their wheels/wasting their time with useless actions. Some of today’s most important movements and protests have started, and continue to grow, from behind a keyboard. It is (as in can be) the equivalent of yesteryear’s marcher. As you point out, it depends…it’s more about the issue and the effectiveness of the words/actions that is important, not about words vs. actions.

edit: let’s keep in mind that we are both, right now, trying to effect change in other’s opinion/view “from behind a keyboard”. That’s how it’s done, sometimes.

But to the point at hand … I hold firm. The issue of taking care of equipment is one that takes skin in the game to research and negotiate … especially for a 2200 member organization with vast differences in both skill and interest. You talk about it often. Would just like to see that effort directed a bit differently. Don’t sell yourself short on what can be achieved. I’m rooting for you!

1 Like

lol…that makes 1!

3 Likes

Consider it 2

1 Like

Will there be anyone around this Sat with whom I can hook up with regarding the use (and training) for the box/dovetail joinery tooling? I have a project to complete and this would be most helpful and greatly appreciated. I am open to others joining in.