Basic Knife Making

The “Basics of Knife Making Class” has been scheduled for Thursday, October 6, from 7 to 9 pm in the Lecture Room. David McDearmont will present his 1987 video, “Basics of Knife Making”, with additional information and comments.

The class is open to non DMS members. It is posted as an event. so please go to the event calendar and register for the event. There is no charge, but a good turnout (i.e. registration), is indicative of a strong DMS interest! Also unless 3 or more members are registered, no honorarium will be paid. Attendees who have not registered do not count towards the attendance requirement. For this class, the committee honorarium with go to the metal shop.

I have been trying to post a copy of Dave’s video, in mp4 format, on the DMS jump server. It will either be in a folder on the main software access page, or in my members folder, CBaber/McDearmont/basics of knife making.mp4.

3 Likes

I signed up as soon as it made the calendar. I’m looking forward to it.

1 Like

I have copied the video “Basics of Knife Making” to the members drive. I was able to play the file using VLC media player on the jump server, and with Windows Media Player after downloading to my laptop. My connection/computer is too slow to play with WMP directly from the members files. Dave has been gracious enough to allow the video to be available on our server for DMS member use, but please don’t copy the file and give it to non DMS members, or post it on any internet sites.

The path is: Members Drive(M:)/CBaber/McDearmont/Basics of Knife Making.mp4.

2 Likes

Dang… I’m out of pocket that night. :frowning:

Thank you for uploading the video! I had to cancel my RSVP because a business trip came up. I was able to pull it down last night. Now I can watch it and be ready for the second class.

I know several folks are ready to start making knives asap. A couple questions: does DMS have a grinder (or two) that we can use to make our knives? It was briefly mentioned at the first meeting that we consider asking DMS to buy a 2X72 belt sander. If so, should we discuss it after the presentation? Would we want to recommend purchasing a Bader or something less expensive?
What options would we like? Would an adapter-type that attaches to an existing grinder suffice? Would this be purchased and maintained under the Machine Shop or Metal Working group? Just asking so we can discuss online before Thursday’s meeting.
Here are a couple sites with grinders:
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=659_774
http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-making-machinery/grinders-sanders-all-kinds-c-99/production-grinders.html

There are several ferous grinders available as well as belt and disk sanders suitable for the process in the Metal Shop.

1 Like

I am unfortunately going to be out of town during this class. Will there be another in the near future?

Sitting in this damn lewisville traffic. I’ll be a few minutes late likely.

No worries. Instructor just showed . Hasn’t set up projector yet.

Boy what a great turnout. I think I counted 25 people. Big thanks to David McDearmont, Tom @TLAR & Chuck @dr_cee. Look forward to the next one.

3 Likes

Hi there,

I’m new here. How do I access this drive? Do I need to be at the makerspace to access this?

-Michael

You need to use Microsoft Remote Desktop if you want to access it remotely. I’m sorry but am not at a computer. Search this forum for Remote Desktop or RDP and you should likely find some help with it.

The ‘committee drive’ is server space.
Yes, you need to be on site to access it, or using remote access tools, such as the JUMP server.

1 Like