Bad Caps class!

RFI Filter cap. The little rectangular golden ones. RIFA caps are nasty things.

It’s either that or the flyback went. Those are your two most common smokers.

Probably! I’m up there quite a bit. :slight_smile:

Yep, we where hoping to install the vampire v4 (or our own built fpga alternative) then hook that up to the pi so it has dumb modem for connecting to the internet via the RAS server on the pi. Plus upgrading the storage to compact flash.

By bad caps, i thought you ment bad ass caps:

OR

Those aren’t as much fun as the smaller caps you can charge up and toss to someone. :imp:

2 Likes

That’d be the one. Nasty since they have full line voltage across them with zero current limiting.

I think I have an CR-10 adapter with one of my three BK 467 CRT tester/rejuvinators. I will check and see one night this week and can loan out it if needed.

@talkers, @sinless, @Nate, @eadams1971, @oscara

Class is on the calendar for the 26th.

4 Likes

Just signed up. Thanks!

Just registered! Thanks @Raymond

I am in as well. Thank you

Thanks a bunch for setting this up

Happy to!

There’s one spot left!

Thanks everyone for attending tonight.

• The smaller TV had a bad controller board…
  • The stereo brought in had a bad power relay. It read 250K ohms on the coil instead of the 560 ohms the data sheet specs called for. A replacement was found on Digi-Key’s web site.
  • The amplifier did have the corrosive glue used in the 80s and was a great example of how the glue would turn dark, becoming conductive and corrosive. Op will have to scrape out the old glue. A couple of dabs of low fuming aquarium RTV will hold the caps in place without the conductivity.
  • Then the big TV had a lot of cracked solder joints, but no bad caps… Not sure, but I don’t think that the power board was the source of the blacks becoming red on the screen. Time will tell with that one as it heats up while on. I’m thinking it’s a bad LCD controller board.
7 Likes

Awesome class last night Raymond!!! Learned a lot! Thanks!

1 Like

@raymond, I seem to remember you saying you might like a large caps. Do you still want some? How about IGBTs or larger diodes?

I’ll grab the full pole assembly then, provided they haven’t thrown them out yet.

1 Like

Yes please

That could easily result in traces being lifted. :frowning:

1 Like