Bad Caps class!

I will be putting this on the schedule… but wanted to see - do any of you have LCD TVs or other devices with bad caps?

I’d like to find a couple of things to go over and possibly repair during the hands-on portion.

Thanks!

Raymond

4 Likes

How’s this for a bad cap?

7 Likes

I have some bad caps to show… Looking for things to fix that have bad caps in them. :wink:

That one doesn’t look bad just sitting there. Is it shorted, popped out the top, or have high ESR?

It was reading like 8,000 mfd. I had about 4 out of 8 reading that low. You could shake them & they would sound like maracas. Lol

Nice! I’ll take one if you still have it. Are they motor start capacitors?

VSD DC bus capacitors. Similar to this.

3 Likes

I’ve got an Apple “High Res” color monitor display from Fred’s that started smoking when I turned it on, and then that Macintosh LC power supply. I’ll try to get the caps ahead of time.

1 Like

I would like to learn how to check for bad caps with an ESR meter.

3 Likes

Great! We’ll go over repairs and cleaning, plus how to use an ESR meter. I have one that I’ll bring and I think eLab still has an ESR meter that hasn’t walked away. That LC series power supply will be nice and juicy under the caps and everyone will get to smell that nasty fish smell of a wet, leaking cap.

1 Like

I am interested as well. I am sure I can dig up something that needs caps done. I can also bring my ESR meter so there is an extra available for the class.

1 Like

Very interested as well

I have a Sony KDL-46W3000 LCD TV that has bad caps. Will open it up and get a list of the caps needed and have them on hand for the class.

1 Like

Thanks!

@Lampy - do you still have a TV that needs caps replaced?

Nope, it went to the space and someone snatched it up and fixed it.

I think my WIP 1946 RCA 630TS chassis has a few bad wax paper and electrolytics. Can I bring it?

2 Likes

Yup!

We can look at the electrolytics. I’ve never reformed one but that is something that I’ll look at before the class and add details on it. It’s something that can be done to try and bring some life back into older caps like the ones in your gear.

1 Like

VCC should be getting their 8-bit computer repair workshop back on the calendar shortly. Its been on hiatus for the season to polish the actual event’s format.

Before we bring it back though I’d love to attend your class. Is it going to be on the calendar any time soon?

I know this is an old thread but will there be another Bad Caps class some day? I’ve got a 55" TV that either needs fixing (and I’d love to learn how to fix it) or needs to be given to someone that will show it the appropriate love.

1 Like

I’m ready to bring mine in too @Raymond @Shawn_Christian.

I’ll see what I can do to get one up on the calendar.

5 Likes