Auto Expansion Layout Ideas

@TLAR Some possible idea for auto buildout for your consideration.

The new layout is roughly 40’ deep x 50’ wide, vs the current 30’x 30’

A
Purchase another section of the same ULine Bulk Storage Racks, extend to 4 sections.

https://www.uline.com/BL_484/Bulk-Storage-Racks-Wire-Decking
H-4325 72x24x96 $398
H-4319-ADD $81 x 2

B
To replace the current 4x8 pegboard, two segments of the shelving mentioned in A would have an open middle with pegboard mounted inside them.

Instead of pegboard, could also use SlatGrid, the improved visibility will make it seem less like a wall and keep the open feel of the area
http://diamondlifegear.com/freestanding-slatgrid.html
SlatGrid FreeStanding 3-Sided HSGFS.3SD.XX.XXX $152
$100 for various hookes

Logistics wont be able to sustain, and Auto users woudln’t want to walk all over the expanded space to find a battery, so Auto should invest in its own power hand tools. To be sure aren’t misplaced Auto might as well jump to an entirely different ecosystem, such as Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools. It would cost about $2,000 to purchase a comprehensive set of tools

Milwaukee 48-59-1204 M12 Four Bay Sequential Charger
$80
Milwaukee 48-11-2420 M12 REDLITHIUM 2.0 Compact Battery Pack (1-Pack)
$27 x 2
Milwaukee Electric Tools 2557-20 M12 Fuel 3/8" RATCHET (Tool Only)
$150
Milwaukee Electric Tools 2556-20 M12 Fuel 1/4" RATCHET (Tool Only)
$150
Milwaukee 2520-20 M12 Fuel Hackzall Bare Tool
$120
Milwaukee 48-59-1806 M18 Six Pack Sequential Charger
$120
Milwaukee 2861-20 M18 FUEL 1/2" Mid-Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring (Tool Only)
$140
Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench with Friction Ring
$200
Milwaukee 2784-20 M18 FUEL 1/4" Die Grinder, Brushless (Tool Only)
$180
Milwaukee 2712-20 M18 Fuel 1" SDS Plus Rotary Hammer
$250
Bare-Tool Milwaukee 2629-20 M18 18-Volt Cordless Band Saw (Tool Only, No Battery)
$230
Another ~$300 in batteries

C
Location of current toolbox, all the tools being on this one edge provides one place for members to look for an auto tool. Could spend $600 on refreshing auto hand tools including torque wrenches, socket etc)

D
Steel pipe bollards sticking up 3 or 4 feet provide safety for other members, chain could be connecting the bollards
https://www.uline.com/BL_1534/Safety-Bollards

E
Three main work areas would be taped off, here they are 7.5’ x 17’ with 5’ of space between them. As funding permits additional auto lifts, roughly $3,000 each

F
4’x8’ work tables with stools, would cost $1,080 to build the $360 / a piece heavy tables I speced previously

G
Potentially project storage on pallet racks if there is extra pallet rack shelving available, this would be a place members could store engines or other large auto project items. Including any motorsports storage needs

Could also have 3 Harbor Freight 30"x16" 3 shelf steel service carts, that you could use to hold parts / tools while you are working on a vehicle, they are $50 a piece

If new lift purchases were deferred until March 1st, all of the prices above would be less than $5,000 which is roughly the auto spending cap until March 1st. The largest single part would be buying a large collection Milwaukee tools.

3 Likes

@tlar this is the impact I have & showed you.

Milwaukee makes the tick system for tool tracking, I have no experience with it though.

1 Like

Best to purchase the power tools when Black Friday comes around.
The M12 tool sets come down to about 200-250 for a set that has a 3/8" drive drill, 1/4" driver, hackzall, obligatory light, 2 batteries & occasionally bundled ratchet.
Is the warranty on Milwaukee lifetime?
Ridgid has a lifetime service & parts warranty and is a little better in prices, although does not have the power ratchets.

1 Like

Tim,

I have to wonder if that system can be defeated by the average crook tho?

Ferman,

HFD has a sale on through Oct that has them at about 1/2 price - I was looking into Milwaukee a while ago.

2 Likes

What’s HFD?
For some reason, Milwaukee doesn’t feel as good in the hand as DeWalt, Ridgid or Makita. Feels very similar to Ryobi. Maybe it’s the finish the use. Not as relevant to the discussion, just an observation.
Milwaukee does seem to be the top dog(at least in perceived reputation) in the still affordable not arm and a leg price category tools though.

TTI is the parent company of both Ryobi and Milwaukee, I don’t have direct experience with other brands, I just like the marketing behind the Fuel line of Milwaukee and AvE said the m18 batteries were the best some number of years ago. Don’t know if that still applies or how much practical difference there is between the 18650 cells used by different manufacturers

1 Like

I have milwaukee tools at home and i love them, im also 100% for adding lifts, maybe even 200% for adding lifts.

1 Like

Yup, I found that out some time ago. Edit wrong info.

The lifetime service contract on the Ridgids is the deal maker for me if they have the tool system one needs/wants.
Batteries (as long as they are part of a tool & battery kit) are included in the service warranty. Haven’t had them long enough to wear it out but the reviews say, bring old battery in, they give you a new one(but you have to re-register the new battery to continue the warranty).

Re Milwaukee:
This set makes for decent value instead of buying the just the ratchet. You get the Hackzall, drill’, driver and battery for $50 more than the ratchet alone.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-3-Tool-with-Free-M12-3-8-in-Ratchet-2498-23-2457-20/302348924

This set give a free ratchet with a Fuel M12 1/4" driver for slightly more than the ratchet alone.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-4-in-Hex-Impact-Driver-Kit-with-Free-M12-3-8-in-Ratchet-2553-22-2457-20/305884676

Fuel is their brushless motor line. They also have BT enabled batteries with a smart phone app.

For some odd reason, the Rdigids feel pricier in the hand(if that makes any sense).
Edit: wrong info

I like the Makita LXT line because of the compact size of some of their tools comapred to almost everything else.

P.S. Motorsports is not included/to be beside automotive any more?

Ridgid cordless is also made by the same folks under licensing from Emerson. The batteries are not covered under that lifetime warranty.

I would not buy bollards from anyone, they are cheap and easy to build.

1 Like

The batteries are only 3 year warranty if they are bought separately from the tool kits.
That’s what I was informed when I called to register a pair of batteries I had bought and they did not become eligible for warranty.
They would need to be bought in a tool and battery set kit to be covered.
The batteries that came with a tool were eligible when I registered them.
It takes about a week to 10 days for them to verify your registration.

Can you add the door location? would think that the lifts my need to be rotated to point towards the door,

Here is the image with the door / ramp drawn in, it is convenient that the ramp door is somewhat in the middle. I’m not sure if the ramp being steeper (its not as long as our current ramp) would impact usability

I didn’t label a specific motorsports area as this was just a few ideas on general layout, it’s assumed they would have whatever shelf space or dedicated floor storage they would need inside the ~2,000 sq ft area

2 Likes

Add to your list of hi qual tools a hi qual multi meter
Suggest:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fluke/FLUKE-88-5-A-KIT?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtySgZ4QeaORyp96dFK7HmVIqFxJH2wLcI%3D

The red Triplett DMM currently in the tool box came from the ELab.
Apparently someone w/case of lazy arse went all the way to the front of the bldng to take it from the Elab and then not return it when they were done.
If Automotive has the budget for all those tools, time for it to get its own meters.
Not pointing fingers…just sayin’…

3 Likes

Why not just put a picture of one that Electronics has and where it should be located? Why duplicate the expense!:wink:

1 Like

About all those safety glasses that have been accumulating in the ELab…

1 Like

+1 on the fluke(nice to have) but we should include aome small basic pocket multimeters(<$20). In tight spaces they work better than a bulkier multimeter like the fluke.
A PC based oscilloscope might be good too, if we want to analyze sensor signal wave forms and export the data, over a dedicated compact scope(which fluke also has for under $1000)

Before everyone tries to fine tune layout details from Brandon’s conceptual idea:
(1) Part of the area you’re sketching belongs to Motor Sports (in the northeast corner of that space)
(2) the ramp is the southern-most door
(3) the area isn’t rectangular - There is a small corner cut for the main aisle along the southwest corner, plus the MotorSports area.
(4) the area is roughly 44w x 43’ deep
(5) there is a 6’ wide aisle of egress along the east wall
(6) We have already placed the utilities for three potential lifts about 10’ from the western edge of that space.

3 Likes

Thanks Chris! Brandon’s concept is just “his concept / idea”

Automotive has no definitive floor plan at this time.

Both threads have derailed down into various rabbit holes (typical)

1 Like