ARTEMIS SBS Builders’ Thread

We’ve played the game a few times now, and I’ve been successful in making things that react to the game. I’ve also made a few promises:

• Ping pong ball cannon for when your ship explodes - my goal is to have this fully working (but maybe not totally refined) by 7/29.
  • Lights for Ship 2 - I’ve bought NeoPixel strips to put along the ceiling to turn the sad, dark other room into a super cool starshippy thing. I want to get this working by 8/26.
    EDIT: how about 9/23 instead.

BUT in order to keep upping the ante, I need the help of Makers. I know there are willing souls here (because I’ve talked to a few). Who else wants to make stuff?

P.S. Not everything needs to be game-reactive. Props, fog machines, cool interfaces, etc could make totally awesome additions.

3 Likes

Forgot to point out @denzuko put up a wiki page for the game, too. Thanks, @denzuko!
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Artemis_spaceship_simulator

2 Likes

I have a couple of ‘cool interfaces’ in mind that i’ve started planning. One for helm control, and the other for Weapons :slight_smile:

If all goes well, it will have lots of pretty lights, buttons, dials and should remove the need for a keyboard.

Now to brush up on my arduino knowledge lol

2 Likes

I’m so excited about this - I can’t wait to see how they turn out! Let me know if you need a hand here or there.

I have a great big fog machine! But, many members have taken exception to any fog machine at DMS so I would suggest dropping that one. Citing Pinball party at old space.

Maybe Dry Ice for fog instead.

We do tend to play for more than a couple hours, which is a long time to be breathing in fog juice if you’re sensitive to it. I wonder if it would help to go easy on it, or if we’d be ok just triggering it for discrete in-game events…

The second room is always an option for people to get away from fog also.

@Nick do you know what the issue was?

I have a few spare cycles and some Arduino knowledge to contribute to the cause…

1 Like

Like, bicycle cycles? That would be fun to hook up impulse and warp speed to someone pedalling lol. “Pedal Faster!!!”, “Aye Captain”

I was actually referring to CPU cycles, otherwise known as bandwidth.

1 Like

I figured, but the thought of bicycles suddenly popped into my head and i had to go with it :smiley:

Haha I was secretly hoping bicycles would happen

My son just upgraded his bicycle, so i have one spare! Now to interface with computer lol

Offering to pay for fabrication and parts if someone would step me through some basic electronics/cad-ing on eagle.

Trying to build a keyboard emulator for Helm(Warp Drive).
In return you get your design milled/made. Its the least(and most) I could do.

2 Likes

Another thought, how about a ships wheel attached to a bicycle(or exercise bike) for helmsman to power and steer?

2 Likes

You guys & gals should make sure that you have consoles on your spaceship that explode when you take damage. They should also throw off lava rocks when they do so. That’s the way it works in Start Trek TOS. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Red Alert, shields up!

3 Likes

Oh gawd yes

I thought you might like that lol.

Side note, the vinyl cutter doesnt do too well on letters that are only 1/16th of an inch tall lol. Never again!

Just an update here: I’m pushing forward with the Neopixel running lights. Parts are on order and programming will start soon!

I can’t wait to light up room 2.

2 Likes