Area in DFW Someone Can Launch Rockets?

My kids and I are building some rockets to shoot during Christmas Break, I was wondering if anybody knew of any good areas to launch the rockets safely? Ideally in Collin county. Thanks.

Oops … I meant CAN not Can’t … not sure how to edit topic title.

Just click on the pencil icon next to the subject line…

Edit to add… I don’t know the answer to your original question. I am interested in knowing though, as my grandsons would probably love launching rockets someday as well… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried that Lisa, but i probably missed something, because when I retyped it to Can, I couldn’t make it change. I’ll check again. Thx

1 Like

It is right here @Owen_Soccer22

1 Like

Once you’ve changed it, click the blue tickbox (circled in red in the pic below)

1 Like

Yah I tried that but it’s not working. I can retype it to Can, but then it does not change on the board. Not sure if I am missing something or It’s not working for me.

@jast to the rescue…that’s the part I missed. Thx

2 Likes

@Owen_Soccer22 maybe you should change the title to how to change a title and start a new thread.
Just a suggestion

That’s off topic here, I know I butchered it at the beginning, but there is a huge difference between Can and Can’t…lol

. I really just want to know where a good place to launch rockets is!!!

1 Like

Things may have changed since my college-aged kids were little, but we used to launch A and B powered rockets at the local school and park. NAR has guidelines about how much space for what size engines. And schools may freak out nowadays…

2 Likes

@Bill is our model rocket guy, he would know about this.

1 Like

I am in the Dallas Area Rocket Society - http://www.dars.org/

Unfortunately, we do not have an organized launch scheduled this month after this next weekend.

The Metroplex is a patchwork of independent municipalities. Some, like Dallas allow model rocketry in city parks when conditions are favorable. Some like Richardson ban it everywhere within city limits. Others like Plano allow it only within a designated area with a permit during select months of the year (Apr through Oct, I think.)

Speaking as an individual, it is usually easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Pick a large open park, be careful, don’t do anything stupid and pick up after yourself. Be prepared for an officer to show up; be respectful, say that you are sorry, that you did not know and that you will stop immediately.

BTW, I am having one of my monthly rocket build sessions this Tuesday at The Space. We can talk about it more then.

2 Likes

Thanks Bill, great suggestions. I would be at the build tomorrow but my daughter has a Christmas Show she is in. I will make the next one.

Somebody told me they thought Erwin Park north of McKinney was good and the area in Plano at Oak Point and Russell Creek that are closer to where I am at.

Avoid obvious flight paths if you’re going to shoot higher than a few hundred feet. :smiley:

I’m in Highland Village and they fly right over us.

1 Like

I’m not sure your priorities are in order. We’re talking about ROCKETS.

2 Likes

Last time I set off an AstroCAM in Russel Creek park, I received a ticket for my ignorance…

That’s what I am thinking might happen…

Did you get some cool footage at least?

Not really. The AstroCAM was a 110mm with a plastic lens. The aerial pictures were a novelty, but I got much better pictures a few years later with a Kite lofted camera rig.

2 Likes

I was wondering if this was “retro” night, or if the “AstroCAM” being 110 was indicative of just how long ago this was…:mater: