Are you interested in joining a writing group?

I am working on a novel and trying to find a writing group with no luck. I thought I would see if people at the Maker Space would be interested in forming one! This group would welcome career writers and people who write for a hobby. It would also welcome writers of novels, poetry, short stories, etc. I will see if there is enough interest and then we can figure out a time and day.

Allison Lowe Carroll

3 Likes

Possibly. Would depend a lot on how often and when.

I’ve been tinkering with an idea that might turn into a hard SF novel and a short story or two.

There’s also a weird horror story spawned from a facebook conversation with an author friend that I really need to work on.

Poetry is not my game however.

No worries! Whatever medium you prefer is fine with me!

1 Like

Would be interested. Have been in several writer’s groups.,. What tyoe of group format you looking for:

• Critiques
  • Short topics as part of group
  • discussion -support type
  • ???

I iz huked on phonics and speel bad…but I should learn to write better. Assuming enthusiasm is all that’s required

Yes! I used to belong to one in Lewisville, but it disintegrated when Border’s shut down. I’d love to join another Writer’s Group. I write historic non-fiction as well as horror and coming of age stories.

1 Like

I think we should discuss that on our first meeting to see what kind of format we can all argee on. That said, I think a format of sharing and positive critiquing would be good.

It looks like there is enough interest to at least have a first meeting. What would be a good day for people?

I would love for this to happen! I have harbored dreams of being a writer for years Having a writing group to receive from , as well as provide to, constructive criticism would be amazing. I’ve also always loved bouncing ideas around with people, especially if it helps others progress with their goal as well. Word of warning though when it comes to writing; what’s that level below amateur…I think it’s “baby town frolics”…I’m that. When it comes to writing, I’m baby town frolics. In either case, I think It’s a great idea and I would love to help and participate.

Love the idea. Personally evenings or weekends are easiest.

It look like the Conference room is open next week on Wednesday - I can reserve it for 7pm for 90 minutes if that’s acceptable. It will hold 8 comfortably 10 if friendly, 10+ if REAL friendly.

That would be great. Thank you. Those who expressed interest, is next Wednesday at 7:00 good for you?

Works for me. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

That’s the first night I could find a room open. So if you want another night verify there is a room open first before suggesting it, otherwise it won’t be happening.

1 Like

(I’m going to quietly sum up the lesson Photomancer is casually throwing out here:

• pick your night
  • schedule your event
  • reserve the room
  • Listen to the feedback; people will tell you if they couldn’t come because the timing was wrong.
  • Adjust before the next event you schedule.

You can’t make everyone happy, so start with yourself1, and work out a compromise from there.)
1 In his example, David has substituted “room availability” for “personal preferences of the instructor”. This is a perfectly valid alternate choice.

1 Like

Short term, next Wed at 7 will work for me. Depending on how often we meet, it might be more of a problem. I had planned to start attending the Fusion360 class that is also in that time slot. Not sure that’ll be an every Wednesday sort of thing for me or not. Not that we’ve discussed meeting that often.

Just trying to get the organizational meeting going. Later days/dates are fine but will push back start.
Mine is a suggestion only. When and how often it meets will be determined at whenever that organizational meeting happens.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for getting the room. I think an organizational meeting is a good way to start. About how long will it take for it to show up on the calendar? I am not very good with technology. Would you be willing to show me how to schedule meetings in rooms?

I haven’t reserved it yet, do you want me to?

Yes please. And thank you!