Are you interested in joining a writing group?

Event submitted for 7pm, Wednesday, Nov 15th, 7:00-8:30PM Conference Room. Should appear on calendar in 48hrs,

1 Like

Iā€™ll be there if I can and will lurk about.

I approved the event so it is live now.

2 Likes

We officially have the conference room available for us at 7:00 for next Wednesday night. I realize that not everyone will be able to attend. However, one of the most important things we will be discussing will be finding a regular day and time that will be good for the most people. Therefore, if you canā€™t come, please send a message here about your availability so that can be considered. I am very excited about this and I hope to see a lot of you on Wednesday night!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the linkā€¦

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/4377

1 Like

I was really hoping to attend tonight, but unfortunately itā€™s not looking like I will be able to make it. I still hold out hope, but it doesnā€™t look good. Normally Wednesday nights from 7:00 - 8:30 are perfect for me, or Thursdays at the same time. In regard to content, I think a group where we can share what we are working on with others, get some constructive criticism, and be able to share and discuss ideas is great. Something Iā€™ve been thinking about as well is, what if we took a multi-step approach to things? Say, for example, we decide that this series of meetings, for however long that is, our ultimate goal will be to have a fleshed out plan, and a complete ā€œfirst chapterā€. Even if itā€™s a zero draft. This might give folks solid ground from which to leap into their ideas, and also provide maps on how to get to their destination. Granted some attending may already have all of this, in which case they could act as guides for those of us that are struggling in that area. Or do a little bit of both, for those further along we can provide sounding boards for what they have, and for those not far along provide guidance on how to get from point A to point B. Just some food for thought, ultimately Iā€™m personally just thrilled to be around other writers and learn whatever I can however I can.

Writersā€™ groups that I have been part of are an open-ended project that continue as long as the group wants to. Folks will come and go, come etc.

Having a ā€œseriesā€ approach means late comers are in the middle and there is set end. These work, but in my experience are more of a ā€œseminar typeā€ event and are based around some really good books that lead you through a process.

One of the things to be discussed: Is this intended as short term, like the NaNoWriMo or long term?

Thatā€™s actually some very valid points. So with what Photomancer wrote in mind Iā€™m perfectly happy with a more traditional writerā€™s group. I would hope this would be more of a long term thing rather than something like NaNoWriMo. Iā€™ve participated in NaNoWriMo several times and opted not to this year simply because of time restraints. Thereā€™s no way I would have enough time to spin out a full novel, or even a few chapters as a zero draft, not even first draft, in a month. But something longer term with a group of people invested in helping each other reach there goals over time would be awesome.

We met, this is what we agreed upon.

• Will basically try to meet twice a month on Wednesdays at 6:30pm to 8:30pm. Some dates skipped because of holidays.
  • Main format focuses on critiques of short passages we bring, see next item.
  • Each time bring 550 word maximum passage, 5 copies, 4 copies in 12 point double spaced New Times Roman and one copy 20 point Bold please.
  • We will pass out the copies, read and critique on writing style issues, not grammar, for about 15 minutes, then discuss with writer. Goal is to help Writer find their voice. Writer will keep all marked copies for their reference.
  • If you are inclined to snark or nasty comments, please go somewhere else. Comments can be incisive and constructive but not nasty. We want to inspire not deflate.
  • We will have other things at various meetings but wanted to start off with writing.
  • We submitted for the 11-29, 12-13, and 1-3 at 6:30pm

Attend when you can!

2 Likes

wow thank you, a perfect outlet for my creative writing

ill be sure to attend the next one

1 Like