Anyone into archery?

Here is some amazing shooting by Lars

Shooting incoming arrows with your arrows? I need practice

6 Likes

Never used a recurve, my compound is sitting in storage though. His stuff is really cool to watch, the historical accuracy claimed about some of the stuff he does is dubious though. Still really cool to watch though and ridiculous skills

3 Likes

I took my son to Texas Archery Center in Plano (http://texasarchery.info) and we both loved it and hopefully will be going more often together. I was really shocked that we were both pretty solid shooters. I found it via Groupon but its really VERY reasonable for a fun date or adventure.

They have an interesting sponsorship program - possibly might be interesting for the expansion to consider doing something of this flavor.
http://texasarchery.info/sponsorship @Team_Finance

They also have fundraing event - I was going to ask about it next time I went and see if we could get a DMS social night/fundraiser hopping one night.

4 Likes

Dang it I was hoping this was gonna be about how to make some field expedient exploding arrow heads out of shotgun shells or random M203 grenades one has laying around. It looks quick and easy in the action movies but I’m sure there’s a trick.

2 Likes

I used to be. I made my own bow before I was a DMS member but it broke a few months in. I have always meant to make another on but never have.

This what the style bow I made:

3 Likes

I have a couple of compound bows that I need to get out and clean up.

I hear many people are interested in making long bows and there is some talk about building a curing bow oven.

What tools are needed for making good bows?

2 Likes

Very interesting. I would be interested in hearing more about it. We are planning some regular events to the shooting ranges, both firearm and archery.

4 Likes

Not sure if I want to make a bow but I’m totally in to go shoot

1 Like

I have a friend who makes bows out of PVC pipe. I have a compound bow that I havent used in years (20 years). I’d like to shoot it again but I need arrows.

1 Like

As far as tools go a steam oven is really the only thing we don’t have.

You only need a steam oven if you are doing lamination style bows.

These books are a great read if you want to make your own bow:

3 Likes

There is what is required to make a simple bow and there are tools that are nice to have.

We also may want to make our own strings, arrows and bolts.

4 Likes

I believe bodark is a popular wood for bow making as well? I could be confusing it with something else

1 Like

Correct. Bois’d Arc, or Osage Orange, commonly called “horse-apple” around here. Considered to be one of the two best woods for bows, the other being Yew.

5 Likes

Bois D’ Arc is a great wood for making bows.

The name “bodark” is a slurring of the French “bois d’arc,” meaning “wood of the bow”—a reference to the Osage Indians’ practice of making bows from the tree. from:http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=4366

4 Likes

I only have the one now currently, a hickory longbow. Shoots like a star at reenactments. I’m always on the lookout for something smaller tho, longbows are a pita to transport sometimes

20 something years ago I taught archery at a Summer camp. Compound bow has a thick layer of dust and probably cobwebs in storage. It’s a fun hobby but don’t have the space or woods to shoot currently.

I would love to see if we can get a bowmaking class together. i did a bit of research on basic longbow making and all that is needed is a chisel/woodcarving knife, a sander, some glue, and plenty of clamps

I contacted the company about a fundraiser I’ll see what I can do to make something happen.

2 Likes

I didn’t say “meant to make another on but never have.” that was Frank. But I did say the other things …

I would like to make a bow that can be used from a horse. You can make much shorter bows that have sometimes more power than a long bow by curving out the tips.

I think I would also like to make a sinew and horn bow. Perhaps a Texas long horn bow …

How about a yumi?

2 Likes