Anyone interested in a couple of motor classes?

I’m an engineer with experience in motor drives, motor control, and motor applications. I can walk you through a basic understanding of:

• Stepper motors & control methods
  • Brushless motors & control
  • Brush motors, torque control, speed control,
  • Induction motors, theory and applications
  • Small synchronous motors

There’s a bit much in those topics, but it can be narrowed down or modified to fit the crowd

- Mike
7 Likes

I am interested in this class.

1 Like

I’m an engineer with experience driving some of these with small (and large) microcontrollers. I’d be interested!

1 Like

I am interested in stepper motor control.

1 Like

I’m interested. You have enough topics to do several classes!

1 Like

be sure to engage @Avayan Jose Quinones, as he also wrote a bunch of stuff for the TI drivers chipsets.

1 Like

Sounds like a great class…I’m in.

1 Like

I have spent way too much time banging my head against the wall on this. Way, way too much time. Way, way too much wall. So yes, I am in.

1 Like

Hi Guys, I would love to participate from this endeavor. Not to steal from Mike’s idea, who originally posted the offering, but I can certainly help on the training side. I have also done a little bit on motion control mostly steppers, brushed DC and recently, quite a lot of BLDC. In fact for the last 2 years have been working with a microcontroller on steroids which was designed for motion control applications exclusively.

Since there seems to be so much interest, Mike could take care of his proposed training and I could add some other topics to increase the curriculum.

BTW, thanks, Doug, for adding me to the discussion!

1 Like

Wow,

Awesome interest!
Avayan has more current knowledge on BLDC, I’m happy to have him step in for an advanced class, and I’ll attend for the sake of catching up. :smile:
For an initial class, I think an intro to the brush motor and stepper motors is probably painful enough for a 1-1/2 to 2hr class. I think two weeks to prepare notes and settle on an evening would be about right.
If anybody has an opinion on the best time / date for the class, I’d love the input. Like most of us, I get free time between 6:00 and 9:00 during the weekdays, all of Saturday, and Sunday after 2:00.

- Mike

Great, a 7 or 7:30 PM class on a weekday tends to have good attendance. I’d love to attend.

1 Like

Yes, I would definitely be interested also. I have some motor experience, but I am particularly interested in precision movements, such as from stepper motors and servos.

Count me in ! I’m attempting a cnc build so pile on the knowledge I need it ! Lol

Please count me in as well. I would absolutely love a set of classes on how to tame Motors in general.

Specially building controls for existing motors; wheelchairs, printers, etc. The uses are truly endless for these.

I would also like to fully understand RC, or Bluetooh/Wifi integration into the controllers.

I concur that in the late evenings and late Saturdays would work for me to attend.

Some Suggestions:

Plan on several modular classes, each covering a specific set of the subject.

If the classes are modular, and not building off the last class, it will be easier for those who miss a class to continue attendance knowing they will not feel lost.

Start thinking of what motors / or controllers you would like to cover from the start and request for us that have them to bring them in for demonstrations and examination.

It would be great if you could spend some time explaining how to identify the different types of systems one is attempting to use or modify / commonly available out there. Which motors, or controllers are best for what applications.

I would love to have enough knowledge at the end of these lectures/Demonstrations to make a “Lawnmower” platform or a passable CNC / 3D printer out of discarded printer parts.

…X…

Edit: Last sentence, why I am exited to attend the Motor Classes.

1 Like

Good News, we’ve been given the go-ahead. The time is 7:00, Saturday the 23’rd. The topic is broad, so it would be great to have feedback on particular areas of interest…

What I’m proposing is a very brief introduction to the insides of permanent magnet and the most common stepper motor, the hybrid.
In permanent magnets:

• Motor generator duality
  • Speed limitations due to supply voltage (Ke)
  • Current - torque relationship (Ki)
  • Resistance limitations and the PM motor curve
  • Inrush due to inertia
    In stepper motors:
  • Construction of hybrid steppers
  • The “step” process
  • Fractions of a step by voltage switching
  • Micro-stepping by current control
  • Supply voltage versus step speed
  • Holding torque
  • Pull out torque
  • Acceleration vs inertia

This is an awful lot of information in a short time, so we’ll aim for success, do as we can, and spill over as we need.

I realize that many folks have probably exceeded this level of knowledge and will be itching to get on with sizing and controls, so give me your feedback
- Mike

2 Likes

0700hrs or 1900hrs on Saturday?

…X…

2 Likes

Good point, Awesomer, 7:00 PM, or 1900 hours.

3 Likes

Hey, I’m planning on going to this class, but I noticed it’s not on the makerspace calendar. Is the May 23rd 7PM class happening? Thanks.

Michael,

The time is 7:00, Saturday the 23’rd.

Sounds great!

Hey, I’m planning on going to this class, but I noticed it’s not on the makerspace calendar. Is the May 23rd 7PM class happening? Thanks.

Jay brings up a good point - also, what room are we meeting in?

Thanks again,

JAG “Dubstepping Motor Drives to the PWM Beat” MAN

Ouch,

Sorry, I botched the reservation and have since sent an email to a couple of members of the committee. I am uncertain as to whether we’ll get a last-minute space or whether I’ll have to reserve space at a latter date.
I will post as soon as I know.
I am deeply regretful for the inconvenience.

- Michael