Anyone interested in a couple of motor classes?

All,

I went ahead and approved the event for the calendar and meetup. Enjoy.

Gus
Classroom Committee

1 Like

I went ahead and approved the event for the calendar and meetup. Enjoy.

Thanks Gus!

JAG ā€œMeeting The 20 Character Minimumā€ MAN

P.S. Still not on the calendar and what room, please? @mfortner

I put in a booking for the Interactive Classroom at 7PM to 9PM.

- Mike

sorry 'bout that. I wonder what happened. I prolly should have checked my
work. Regardless, you resubmitting it made posting it again a breeze. Thank
you Mike!

Iā€™m in! See you guys there.

The class Mike ran was great. It covered the fundamentals of the most common electric motors one will commonly come across. I would recommended it for anyone who would like to fortified their knowledge of electric motors. Even if you have very little knowledge of electronics/electrical systems in general, this class will instill the core concepts of motor function, operation, and their inter workings. Mike will not make the class feel like it is above your head, or buried you in technical jargon. Very enjoyable.

Thanks MIKE!

ā€¦Xā€¦

1 Like

Thank you, Awesomer,
I really had a good time with the class and the audience was great. I especially appreciate them being tolerant of my technical glitches. I suspect I learned more than I taught regarding preparation and the art of presentation :smile:

In the next few days, Iā€™ll look into getting us some freebie h-bridge development board and perhaps a stepper development board and see if we can have that care and feeding of brush and stepper class.

Mike

Hey group! I think I am ready to run a class which I could title something like High Speed BLDC Motors for Drones". I have a bunch of material and demos I could share if there is an interest in such a topic. The class would offer a quick introduction to 3 phase BLDC motors, power stage topologies as well as sensorless commutation algorithms.

Is there an interest in such a concoction?

Maybe, what does BLDC stand for?

BrushLess Direct Current
If Iā€™m not mistakenā€¦

1 Like

If I had any idea what you were saying I might be interested.

1 Like

I would have though brushless DC, except for the 3 phase portion. I was only aware that AC motors came in three phase.

So, I did the obvious and read the Wikipedia entry.

Brushless DC electric motors are a form of stepper motor.

They are controlled by alternating the current (not necessarily sinusoidal AC, but an arbitrary waveform).

ā€œA typical controller contains 3 bi-directional outputs (i.e. frequency controlled three phase output), which are controlled by a logic circuit.ā€

Well just out of curiousity, I would take the class if I can fit it in the schedule!

1 Like

Iā€™m on board. Would love to build my own CNC some day.

Sorry for assuming BLDC was a traditional nomenclature when clearly it isnā€™t. Just to give you a quick run down, BLDC motors are the opposite to brushed DC motors. On a brushed DC, the stator is the magnet and the rotor is the electromagnet. On a BLDC motor, the stator is the electromagnet and the rotor is the magnet. I am being quite simplistic when I use the word magnet, as there are many topologies and ways to implement this portion of the machine.

Anyway, as you can see, the BLDC does not need brushes and does not have an electromechanical commutator either, which means we must commutate electronically.

Decades ago, BLDC motors were laboratory experiments, industrial actuators, and only to be used by people with a couple of PhDā€™s, not to mention fat wallets. Today, however, BLDCā€™s are super cheap and thanks to impressive electronics integration are way easier to tackle.

What I propose for this training are the following topics:

1. Comparison between a Brushed and a Brushless DC motor.
  2. A quick look into the 3 phase BLDC motor.
  3. A quick look at the 3 phase inverter (which is nothing other than a fancy name for 3 phase H Bridge).
  4. Power Sequences and sensorless algorithms (if you want to go there).

I usually like to carry my classes with demos intertwined to keep the class as entertaining (as well as visual) as possible.

So I guess the next question is what kind of day we prefer to do this? I have never done a DMS class so do not know what usually works best for the group. Is it usually better a work day or a weekend day? Friday is the only day which is tough for me, but other than that I am open!

1 Like

Sorry to disappear from the discussion, My house leaked during the last rain storm and between the repairs and coming down sick, I havenā€™t been paying much attention to the forumā€¦
Avayan, Iā€™m accustomed to referring to these motors as BLDC as well.

Count me in for an BLDC motors class.

OK Group, how about we put a date to this project? I am not much of a connoisseur on which dates are better for classes, although I imagine Thursdays is not a good time due to Open House events. Is there a preference between Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays? I could do June 22/23 or June 29/30, as well as July 1st.

How about time? Is 6:00 or 7:00 a good time to get the class started?

1 Like