Anyone do any aluminum anodizing

It’s been talked about before here on Talk. I have done it myself in the past, but no longer have any of the stuff needed (power supply, Ti wire, bubbler, cathode, etc.)

Anyone here able to anodize a few small pieces of Al? will be roughly six pieces of 2 x 6 x 0.3 Al… maybe more if this works out well.

I’ve mostly been powder coating and it’s been years since I’ve anodized anything.

if the resources manage to be cobbled up I’d be interested in joining the fun when it happens.

I thought @Team_Jewelry already has something to do thiat.

I’m interesting in annondizing aluminum tubing. Please post of this happens I’m happy to help help with whatever needs to happen to do this.

Bill Makerspace Member
February 21
I thought @Team_Jewelry already has something to do thiat.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Jewelry has equipment for anodizing niobium and titanium. Our understanding is that the process for aluminum is different. The best person to ask is Cairenn. If you have the requirements for aluminum, we can determine if our equipment will work. Also, we are only able to handle small pieces, maybe 3 or 4 inches max.

Sent using myEarthLink

1 Like

And here I am Sue is correct I understand that aluminum andonizing needs tome harsh chemicals
tat are hazardous to dispose of

1 Like

overstated. Needs sulfuric acid ( battery acid ) or sodium bisulfate. Essentially, you need an acid to act as the electrolyte. Sulfuric is of course less desirable because of the Sulfur residue after you neutralize whereas Sodium Bisulfate is a little easier. It’s what you add to salt water pools to drop alkalinity (increase acidity). Add a little baking soda and it neutralizes back to a nice neutral salt mix.

Essentially, the hardest part of this is a good electrical source capable of a steady 5-6 amps at 12-24V. After that, a good cathode and some Ti wire are the toughest things.

1 Like

We do not have a hazardous waste permit That is the issues

Just because a person can do something at home doesnt mean that we can
I can use a can of spray paint , we cant at the space

1 Like

Sodium Bisulfate literally neutralizes to salty pool water… don’t need a permit for that… but I’m sure arguing that will lead nowhere… so I’ll go back to my original post which was asking if anyone does this at home so that I might be able to swing by, or perhaps borrow the power supply at some point.

1 Like

Tools can not leave the space, sorry other than with committee involvement
like the Blacksmithing at the Perot

Let me restate my question… again…

Does anyone have the ability or equipment to anodize some small aluminum parts roughly 2x6x.3 inches that I might be able to borrow or use NOT AT THE MAKERSPACE.

I get that you don’t want to allow anything that sounds scary to happen at DMS. That’s why I’m asking if anyone has done it AT HOME with THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT.

1 Like

Oh, that would be interesting.

@Team_Science

Could you please confirm for our jewelry folks that sulfuric acid can be neutralized effectively with baking soda for disposal?

Didnt mean to tag you @Lindajdallas

Sulfuric acid can be neutralized but you get a sulfur based salt that is more difficult to deal with than the salt you get with bisulfite.

Acid + base = heat + water + salt

Its okay. If you find anyone, let me know. Would like to learn also .

sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) reacts with sulfuric acid to yield sodium sulfate + water + carbon dioxide
Na2CO3 + H2SO4 -> Na2SO4 + H2O + CO2

When the pH for the resulting solution comes out neutral it’s safe to dispose.

3 Likes

Aye, ph neutralized it can go straight down the drain

3 Likes

@yashsedai :

@Cairenn_Day did not dispute that the chemicals could or could not be neutralized by responsible handlers.

she was specifically referring to permits and the EPA. which is a very different question / concern to have.

1 Like

I’d be happy to weigh in further if the specific rules listed in the relevant ordinances and regulatory documents are supplied.

Let’s please not waste time arguing over hearsay.

3 Likes

Wait… science and information rather than hearsay… here on talk??? Say it ain’t so!

1 Like