Any student-paid, non-honorarium pen turning classes in the works?

I’d love to take a pen turning class. Rockler has them for $55, and another local wood store is charging around $100.

If an instructor here wants to do a PayPal for-fee class that’s competitively priced, and give me an Amazon link or local link to buy my own materials, please let me know. I’d love to learn!

Thanks.

3 Likes

@jnorine @nate @talkers

2 Likes

What would you consider competitively priced for a pen turning class at DMS?
Have you completed the lathe 101 class?

2 Likes

If you can come to the space around 9am this Saturday or Sunday I can show you how to turn a pen. I have some leftover pen kits, blanks, finishing material, etc. I learned by people donating their time and materials, happy to pass it on.

8 Likes

My plan in the next few months (and hopefully in the next week or so) was to do 1 class a month that was just materials cost - so $7-8?

4 Likes

I still need to turn my blank we made in your awesome mold making class. I’m definitely in!!

3 Likes

That would be great, @ryan. Thanks.

Yes, I did take the lathe class. Competitively priced would be less than what Rockler charges.

Very kind of you to do sir!

Are you up on Sunday by chance? Last time I was in there the tools needed some work. Many of the carbide cutter heads are chipped and dull. I’m thinking we need to do inventory and submit a request for consumables to the chair.

2 Likes

Definitely. Let me know what time works best.

2 Likes

I have a break between classes from 1:30-3 pm.

It’s also possible we will need to drill out some stripped screws. Everyone’s favorite!

Dear Easy Wood Tools, stop cheaping out on screws. Thanks! Sincerely, DMS.

2 Likes

Well, crap. Forgot I have a thing this weekend. If one of these fine gents aren’t able to get it done for you we’ll meet up at some point. Good luck!

1 Like

I’m available afternoon/evening on Saturday or Sunday to help. We could have an impromptu lathe maintenance group. I am new at this, so I’ll need instruction, but I’m happy to learn.

No worries, @ryan. I’m sure I’ll get it done sooner or later :slight_smile:

That would be great! Can you meet in the turning area about 1:30 pm Sunday?

Sure!

(Post must be at least 10 characters) :roll_eyes:

I just submitted a slimline pen class for 10am on July 28th. Cost will be $8 and will include the kit, the blank, and all supplies needed.

If that fills up fairly quickly, I’ll add another one on the same day for noon or 1pm.

2 Likes

I’ll be there too.

1 Like

I wish I could that day, but I have every other weekend free. Bummer.

Let’s talk on Sunday and see what we can work out.

1 Like