Any student-paid, non-honorarium pen turning classes in the works?

My first class starts at 10 am Sunday, if you want to come in at say, 8:30a I could meet you and do a side by side lesson. I always have a pen or 2 I can work on.

2 Likes

Side question: Are there ever any where students can potentially BYO blank? Either purchased or handmade? I usually only see classes where the kit is provided

There is no rule about allowing someone to bring their own blank. I’ve had several students do that before and what I end up doing is giving them the blank they paid as part of the kit to take home with them for some future project should they wish.

3 Likes

I’d be more than happy to adjust based on BYO - the person would just need to let me know beforehand.

1 Like

Competitively priced would be at the same price, or between Rockler, WoodWorld, and Wood Craft. So in the $55-$100 range.

But other factors are:
Teaching how to do it well and consistently at our Space.
Time on machine with instructor guidance
Availability of instructor assistance after class
Cost of materials (big range in kits and blanks).

1 Like

One thing to keep in mind with BYO is to bring the bushings as well.

1 Like

And drill bits. The kit will specify what you need.

Slimline uses the 416 bushings and 7mm bit. We keep this in stock. Everything else… Best check our supplies before hand.

We’re down to 3 slimline bushings fyi. I taught a 1 on 1 last week and it’s all I could find

Well I was only refering to the blanks themselves. It’s not super practical to not have everyoneaking the same type of pen etc. But if someone wanted to use a different type of wood, or had a resin blank made in a prior class, that type of thing.

I just woke up, so not 8:30 for me. I’ll be there at 1:30 since I have chores and errands I need to do first. Thanks, @Lordrook :grinning:

1 Like

If we’re out of these, should I pick some up? Where would I get them?

Locally Rockler or woodcraft are my go to’s. But online as well. I’ll give you tons of info at 1:30

I’m running behind schedule and will be there as fast as traffic allows. Sorry to make anyone wait.