Any Interest In A Thermal Imaging Camera?

Yes, to all the above. Also, we could look for healthy tissue in animals and people, check for heat buildup in electronics, maybe see if we can find excessive wear on mechanical parts. We likely would get more ideas after we get the camera.

1 Like

I have the Seek thermal for my IPhone (don’t hate me because I have apple, it’s a work phone)… I have to say I am impressed with the Seek. I can’t compare it to FLIR but I picked mine up from Home Depot back in February. I use it for all sorts of stuff, I can point it at a condenser & see the warm/cool spots. I can look at my ceiling & see where I need to add insulation. I have also used it to troubleshoot my electronics & LED’s to see if they are getting to hot.

1 Like

I would be interested in getting one. I’d be willing to chip in $10…

2 Likes

Instead of acquiring a specif device, why not ask the board if they will match funds first, then ask everyone for a donation… then acquire the most device we can with the total amount of funds available to us?

Seems a better path to acquiring an awesome device(better than proposed), as oppose to the current plan.

…X…

1 Like

That sounds good, but I think that people are more likely to donate for a specific goal than for a general one.

I propose!

FIRST, find out if the BoD will match funds or not. and if so, WHEN?!?

Second, if the answer is YES, then that gives you THE INCENTIVE for individuals donate AND Science Committee to collect funds from DMS members(ala Indigogo(Not-kickstarter) style) to acquire one of the cameras on “THE Therm-O List”

What list is that…??? I am glad you asked!

This list THERM-O LIST:

Seek Thermal Camera For android - $184.00
Flir TG165 handheld … - $399.00
Thermometer 32G 8hz … - $421.00
Dwyer Tic-10 … - $614.00
Flir C2 Pocket Portable … - $699.00
Flir Model i5 … - $799.00
Flir E4-B … - $850.00
Flir EX … - $995.00

Flir i3 … -$1,195.00
FLuke TiS55 30hz … -$1,199.00
Fluke TiS10 9hz … -$1,199.00
Flir E5 … -$1,495.00
Flir i7 … -$1,495.00
Extech i5 AC118 … -$1,595.00
Testo 870-1 … -$1,695.00
Ideal 61-844 Heat Seeker … -$1,876.00
HT Instruments THT47 … -$1,995.00
Fluke FLK-TIS 9hz tis … -$1,999.95
General Tools GTi10 “Predator” … -$1,999.99
FLir(tacticool) 4127617 “security Cam” …-$2,082.00
General Tools GTi50 THerm/Vis Hi-res . -$2,199.00
Fluke TI100 9hz … -$2,450.00
Milwaukee 2260-21 M12 160x120 … -$2,575.00
Testo 875i-1 vis integrated … -$2,606.00
SKF TKTI 21 … -$2,638.00

FLIR E30 w/visual augmentation … -$3,334.00
Wahl Z150 Building / Industrial THemr … -$3,356.00
FLuke FLK-TIS45 … -$3,850.00
Testo 875i-2 w/vis-cam augmentation … -$3,866.00
Flir e60-EDU
Exx
E40 … -$4,000.00

Fluke TiS0 9hz … -$4,000.00
FLIR k45 … -$4,195.00
E40-kit with MSX Enhancement …-$4,240.00
E40bx-kit … -$4,240.00
Argus TT169A TT 50Deg FOV 9hz … -$4,450.00
Fluke TI110 30hz Industrial … -$4,500.00
TiR110 9hz … -$4,500.00
TiS55 30hz Industrial/Commerc
FLIR E40bxKit …-$4,640.00
64501-0101-kitnist E-series … -$4,640.00
Argus PY320 -4F to 302F … -$4,680.00
Testo 875i-2 Deluxe … -$4,950.00
FLIR E40SC (64501-0114) … -$4,995.00
Fluke Ti25 Inudstrial -4 to 662F … -$5,400.00
Fluke Ti125 Commercial -4 to 482F … -$5,500.00

The list above only includes Thermo-Imaging devices that are commercially available. These included devices are a self contained units. In other words, they are battery powered, handheld cameras with a screen to view(minimum) in real time. The screens are open and easily seen by anyone around the camera. Some(more expensive) imagers(lol) have augmentations using the visual spectrum in various ways, and some(not contingent on price) have the ability to record images(vids?) and/or change the color profile of what represents temperature. There is a Tacticool model produce by FLIR that the screen is not easily seen by everyone around. It mimics a magnification scope in design, where one must place the imager to one’s eye to observe the viewfinder.

Third, The Thermo Imager will be an exclusive Tool of The Science Committee any member may borrow to use in any project while they are at DMS. The Science Committee will have to decide whether or not the Imager will be allow to leave DMS or for how long etc.

@Opcode , There is clearly an interest in acquiring a thermo-imager. I can see this being a hot item The Science Committee can get a hold-off that almost every committee at DMS will want/need to use on a regular basis. AND I am not referring to those wanting to satisfy the curiosity of what a thermal-imager can show them, rather real work applications for DMS members to whom the information the Thermal-Imager can provide will prove from useful to critical or indispensable. The list is crazy long and the uses are mind-blowing!

I see this as an opportunity to acquire an awesome Instrument that most will find incredibly useful. I propose we proceed in the way I suggested.

Lets say that most think my idea is stupid. AFTER you acquire the phone plug thermo, Most will find it useful, and will want to use it… there more than likely a lot of demand for this item. Others will find it limited to what ever application they wish to employ the imager. Then we will find ourselves attempting to acquire another imager… I am attempting to circumvent all of that.

I throw $20.00 towards a THermo imager; if the funds are Matched by the BoD.

…X…

PS>>> BY Indigogo Stile vs Kickstarter I mean to state the following. We proceed Indigogo Style: Any funds donated are by DMS members are given freely to The Science Committee with the only expectation that they are to be used for a Thermo imager. It is understood that the full balance of the money is going to be spent in towards the purchase of said Thermo Imager and nothing else is stated nor implied. In the event there are not enough funds to proceed with a purchase, the money still goes to the Science Committee till enough money is gathered to purchase/Acquire the Thermo Imager. As oppose to Kickstarter where everyone gets to “promise” sans commitment and no one has to pay till the Goal is reached.

Edit: Cross out The Seek. Does not meet the requirements of what the Science committee should be searching for in thermal imaging.

1 Like

Thanks, your suggestion sounds good (I’m only wondering why you left off the FLIR ONE for Android).

Here is another possibility for us: we get the FLIR C2 for no money. To do that, FLIR asks that we provide them with two STEM-certified curricula that FLIR could offer for download on their website. How do we do that? I don’t know. I did several Web searches, but I wasn’t able to figure out who is doing the certifying or what the standards are to meet certification. I’m about to ask the salesman that question, as the answer appears to vary from state-to-state.

2 Likes

Offhand, if would appear the curriculum would need to originate in a STEM certified school and/or be authored by STEM certified instructor(s). This is a very good question, though. I wonder how many 'rents pitch money at “STEM certified curricula” with absolutely no idea what that REALLY means. Oh, sure, we all know Science Technology Engineering & Math, but what has to happen to be certified? Hopefully we’ll soon know…

I left it out for several reasons. Among them is that people are brutish and will not be as careful as the plug-in-thermo will require. In other words it is destine to break due to incompetence or clumsiness. Also, it will more than likely NOT command, from a subconscious level, the respect a dedicated device in its own case will.

I am not appose to getting a FLIR One OR the Seek; They are inexpensive and very neat(though limited) to employ. However, I am oppose to getting the FLIR One and The Seek for The Science Committee… The FLIR One/The Seek screams “Gadget(toy)” The Science Committee needs Tools of Science that are perceived and respected as such from the gate.

I will Look into the C2 and find out what all that “STEM Certified Curricula” fuss is about. This sounds like (in)industry code to me; that a song and a handshake to the right person will get you a crate full of C2. We will just need to find out who we need to dance and sing to specifically.

…X…

Edit: added the Seek to items specifically listed.

Fair enough, but you included the Seek, which is just as much a gadget-toy as the FLIR ONE. With the exception that the FLIR ONE has two cameras (a visible and a thermal), but the Seek has only one, they have similar design. I agree that this design is not rugged; one has to wonder at what point the USB/Lightning connector would snap.

Thanks. I’m trying to find out what I can. It would be nice if the FLIR salesman could explain it to me, but I haven’t heard from him, yet.

My apologies, The Seek was not suppose to be a part of that list. And if you are familiar with the sub $1,000 dollar Thermal imaging device market, you will also notice several others where left out. I will correct the list, and my previous post, right now.

Even if we can get a C2, I still propose to inquire from the BoD if they would be willing to match funds… specially since they are wanting more money from the membership…

…X…

The Seek uses the thermal camera then also accesses the phones camera to do split screen if you should want/need.

1 Like

I think the thermal camera was popular at Open house yesterday.

1 Like

I’ll ask the Board for matching funds, but the Board is not wanting more money from membership. The proposal to raise member fees is entirely the ideas of various non-Board members. The Board has tried cooling some of these proposals, but people keep bringing them back. So, don’t blame the Board for the proposals. The Board may also decline matching funds, though. They are more likely to approve matching funds if the request is small than if it is large, too.

I understand. Thank you for correcting me; do not know why I deducted that membership fees rising was from the BoD.

Unfortunately, that was the main idea behind the strategy. If they agree, then we will, through collaborative efforts, raise $2-$3k(easy) and that means being able to acquire a $4k-$6k thermal imager. My list does not even go that high… I wonder why? Perhaps two $3k dollar devices are better than one $6k device… Awh’dunno.

…X…

1 Like

I’ll try it and see what they say.

I agree that we would want more than a camera; we would want things like a case and software and other things. We would want training, so we could become proficient in using it. Multiple cameras would be nice, for several reasons, especially if this item proves popular. My feeling from the Board, though, is we are going have to fight for every dollar we might get from them. We’d do best to limit what we ask from the Board.

I just got a reply from the FLIR salesman. He says that he just needs standard lesson plans. That shouldn’t be a problem. How about if I auction off an afternoon of use of the C2 for each of the two people who provide us with winning lesson plans? You submit your lesson plan(s) to Science Committee, and we will choose the best two that come in to send to FLIR.

Here is the offer from FLIR:

As discussed, it sounds like your organization and FLIR could create a worthwhile partnership moving forward. We are currently looking to build content for furthering the exposure of IR camera technology in research and learning environments. Please see the following links for evidence of this initiative.

Education & Training Resources - http://www.flir.com/science/display/?id=66558

Higher Education - http://flir.com/science/display/?id=68387

I have talked with my management, and I am pleased to offer you the following:

(1) FLIR C2 IR Camera at NO COST in exchange for (2) STEM certified curriculums (lesson plans) that we can offer for download on our website.

4 Likes

I have used IR during my working career to solve problems. I’m nooooo expert, but I’ll gladly help formats and putting the polish on the lesson plans which information supplied. Including help brain storm uses, an example that comes to mind is the member that had the A/C leak that was hard to trace. I would imagine if air/neutral gas pumped into the system a leak could easily be detected - I would even suggest if the air were slightly warmed, say 110-120 degrees it would really stand out.

Cutter temps on our various machines in various materials could be monitored to determine optimal speeds/feeds (this I’m very familiar with from work). Checking motors. are bearings running hot indicating possible near term failure. This is beyond what Science has planned - but I’d bet it’s the type of thing FLIR would like to see as it can sell product. If we can get a free device I think that would be great. Also, I think this would be an excellent opportunity for cross committee support: Digital Media, Creative Arts, PR (yes need to promote ourselves), allowing DMS to show our stuff.

2 Likes

It’s not enough to create a lesson plan with, but it sure would be nice to be able to see the heat map of the Mendel90 I’m working on in 3D fab, at least to see if it’s reaching the correct temperatures to calibrate the thermistor values. Maybe a more broad topic would be thermodynamics in circuit design, but it would be better from someone that’s an EE major.

1 Like

Keep ideas coming - these are all practical applications of scientific tools being put to use. I think what FLIR wants is: How there tools can be used WITH a lesson plan on how to use them. The tool Science Committee wants to get can benefit everyone - we, all the various disciplines we are trained and knowledgeable in, need to help them become successful. Not sure what the temperature range of tool desired is, the one I was using when working went up to about 1900C, not sure what lower end was because I was working with things getting hot - albeit in the 35C-250C range (hole temp during composite drill out)