Amateur Radio Exam VE Setup

I’m looking for other licensed operators who are willing to help get a Volunteer Examiner group running here at the Makerspace to start doing exams.

I had some express interest already, but I forgot to take a list on the spot.

If you are interested, ping me at my DMS email: [email protected] with your name on your license, callsign, and preferred email (I’d like us all to use our DMS emails to coordinate this just for simplicity; if you haven’t used it yet it’s already there at mail.dallasmakerspace.org just use your DMS login credentials).

Cheers,
-Jim

3 Likes

I’m not licensed, but i recently took the part 1 of the amateur radio class that James Harper was teaching, and im very much interested in getting my license.

Sadly, I’ve been waiting until I figure out what I want to do for a long term callsign before studying and testing for VE status. Otherwise I would participate. Also, I only have one personal email that I check more than once a year, so the DMS email is likely a non starter.

KG5QBI

I’m definitely interested but need to take the general first. Should be able to do that within the next month or so now that I have a reason to…

I’m in the same boat!

I am looking to get drone certified(part 107) and just realized I need a radio license for some other cert tangentially. How would I go about learning about the process of getting a HAM radio license and is there an help at the space?

Concur.

Todd
K5SLR

1 Like

James Harper recently did this class
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/12263

Watch the Event Cal for more.

1 Like

You can just forward it to your normal email.

I’d like instructors and/or the exam group to be contactable without people having to guess what email to use. (Personally, I’d like every instructor / chair /related to either use or forward their DMS emails since they all already have one)

1 Like

I have technician. I’m up for helping out if possible.

1 Like

IIRC*** you’d need to get general or higher; which do, because then you can start playing with HF stuff

*** I got a copy of the info packets from w5yi, haven’t been able to thumb through it yet. Will when I return from travel

1 Like

I have an Extra Class license. Count me in to help out. This would be great to have training classes and VE Testing at DMS. I am also a member of the Plano Amateur Radio Club which routinely has training classes held throughout the year, plus VE exams at every monthly meeting.

Richard Meyer
AG5OB

To expand, you have to be general to administer tech exams, and extra to administer general and extra exams.

Right now, I can’t remember which VEC my local club uses, and I can’t remember how much effort it is to be affiliated with multiple VECs.

The Plano club uses W5YI-VEC and McKinney ckub uses ARRL as their VEC. I do not know what it takes to be certified as a Volunteer Examiner (VE).

Here’s the requirements for the ARRL: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/VEs/Prospective%20VE%20pkg%202014.pdf

If I read that correctly it’s an open book test about exam coordination. I’m not familiar with W5YI, the exams I’ve taken were administered by the ARRL VEC.

If there’s a need for any more assistance on tech exams I’d be happy to help.

W2CVZ

1 Like

fun fact: 3 have 3 DMS members with sequential call signs still around:

KG5BZX - Pearce
KG5BZY - Doug
KG5BZZ - Art

I also have Amateur Extra license and will participate. I’m in Richardson Wireless Klub which runs classes and examinations.

Brady Pamplin - W5LH

1 Like

Odds are pretty good we all took the test at Ladybird location.

1 Like

The following is from the first page of the Open Book Review document linked above:
When completing this Open-Book Review, you may work alone or with others in researching the answers to the questions.

Would anyone be interested in meeting and working through the 40 questions? It will be easier and would be the beginning of a DMS VE team.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan to me.

1 Like