Amateur Radio Exam VE Setup

sounds good; I’m going to try and compile all the volunteers thus far and get a group going.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

Easy way to get VE Certification

I belong to the Plano Amateur Radio Club. At their monthly meeting they have VE Examinations, this club does not use the ARRL VEC, they use the W5YI-VEC instead. I talked to the club’s Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC) and stated that I wanted to become an Examiner, mentioned that I had filled out the ARRL open book test and was ready to the turn it in.

He told that there is an easier way. He pulled out the W5YI-VEC Examiners application form, signed it, told me to attach $3 and a copy of my license, and mail it in…and that was it. No test questions! Once you get your certification then send a copy of that to ARRL with their application form and fee, then you are grandfathered under ARRL as well. W5YI-VEC is headquartered here in Arlington, TX. So, pretty soon I will be qualified to administer Amateur Radio Exams for both ARRL and W5YI exam sessions. I have an Extra Class license so I can work all license classes.

2 Likes

I have an Extra Class license and am interested in working with you on this. When you get approved, will you be able to sign off for others?

I talked to Mike Chittenden AE5IV @Mike_Chittenden last week. He has Extra and is an approved examiner with W5YI-VEC and possibly both. He is not active as an examiner.

Brady W5LH

1 Like

The W5YI application form must be signed off by a VE Coordinator. The local VE Cordinator is also a member of the Plano Club. If you are not an active VE examiner for 5 years then you lose your credentials. To maintain your credentials you must participate in an exam session, either as a test moderator, exam scorer, paperwork handler, or even as a helper on the sidelines…it all counts.

2 Likes

I’ve got my Extra and would be willing to help as well.

1 Like

I just received my Volunteer Examiner (VE) Certification today from W5YI-VEC. I can now send in a copy of this VE Certificate to ARRL and automatically get instant ARRL Certification as a VE. Since I have an Extra Class license I can monitor any and all types of exams.

Richard Meyer - AG5OB

4 Likes

Good job!!! How can the others others of usthat are interested get W5YI approved? After you mentioned your experience, I printed out an application and went to an RWK event but the VEs there had ARRL certs. Any chance you can sign ours?

1 Like

I am new at this game. Will have to find out. The guy that signed off my certification was one of the area VE Coordinators. Perhaps he had special privileges.

1 Like

I just called W5YI and they told me that to register, I had to sign up with a group that is committed to giving at least 6 exams per year.

I am a member of the Collins Amateur Radio Club, but not Plano. So, I may be out of luck unless I can piggyback on Plano ARC, etc. Any thoughts on this?

The Makerspace Technician class is underway and the last day is December 10. Any thoughts about getting together a VE team at the Makerspace around 9pm on December 10 so that attendees can take the test?

James (KK5Y)

@richmeyer is a VE. He may know others.

@yehuda613 @richmeyer I have received badges from W5YI and ARRL. I am in the Richardson club which uses ARRL but I have not participated in testing yet.

The app needs to be signed by a VEC. The VEC is the top person for each group. I got mine signed by Allan Batteiger at a Metrocrest club meeting. His contact info is on the link below. I asked and he pulled out a blank form, signed it and told me a couple of details and gave it to me. I scanned and emailed it in along with my license and and credit card info and received the badge in under two weeks. You might call him and see if he could help.

Who does DMS have with W5YI VE? Rich, @dougemes and me as far as I know.

A VEC has to be present at the testing. If Rich does not have other plans, you might ask Allan if he would do the test with us assisting.

How many do you think may be ready to test?

https://www.dfwlist.org/l.htm

1 Like

DMS does not have a VE Coordinator. So, currently there is no way to get the official exam books, there are 4 different exams for each license plus the answer templates, and all the other documentation required. I do not know the procedures involved or what it takes for someone at DMS to become a VE Coordinator.

I am a member of the Plano Amateur Radio Klub (PARK) and they have exams before every monthly meeting.

1 Like

I’m not far off with KG5CIY!

If you get the VE group going I would be interested in participating.

John KF5I

If anyone is interested in becoming a VE, the process is easy. The ARRL Volunteer Examiner page has the steps:

1. Download and read the VE manual (PDF).
  2. Complete the application (included with the download) and take the 40 question open-book test.
  3. Mail, fax, or email the completed application/test to the ARRL.

In 3-4 weeks the ARRL will send you a “colorful laminated VE badge.” I’ve read at least one other way you can become a VE without taking the ARRL test but their process is so simple that’s what I’m doing.

JMAC KF5I

1 Like

It only took a couple of hours to review the material and take the open book test. I was able to submit all to ARRL online using a JPG of the completed and signed PDF print out. About two weeks later my VE certificate and badge arrived. Closest club in DCARA so I’ll see if they need a newbie VE at the next test session. If the DMS Amateur Radio SIG gets a VE group together, I’m ready.

3 Likes