Advice needed: LED light strip to replicate Neon sign

One of my favorite daughters is getting married in a May. She wants me to make a Neon like sign for her, about 2’ square. I haven’t looked real hard yet but know there are LED lights that replicate the look of Neon. There seem to be a lot of choices but I don’t know what the gotchas are. Does anyone have any advice on something cut to length, Selectable color would be nice. I’m guessing 5-8mm wide, needs to bend.

Not sure what it will say just yet. Could be as simple as

L & J

Thanks
Randy

You might want to consider using El-wire. It looks more like neon tubing. Like tubing, you can paint it black at the bends.

1 Like

You can also get custom neon fairly cheap on Amazon. I’ll post some pics and links when I get home

As much as I enjoy working with EL wire, it is not going to be nearly as bright as LEDs (or true Neon, for that matter).

I’ve read that El wire only lasts a few years. Amazon has too many choices and they seem too cheap to last to me

You could also probably get something close if you had a way to bend acrylic tubing. All you would need to do would be to fog it up, the slide the LED strips inside.

The iNextStation Neon LED shown above is similar. It is LED’s inside a silicone tube. So it would have the longevity of LED’s compared to El Wire.

1 Like

G2G lighting Aurora flex is what I suggest at work for neon replacements. CNC routed backing works best but it can be installed with clips (drastic curves suffer some). It is a bit pricy but the best I have evaluated.

1 Like

We just finished this up today. Side emitting diffused LED strip lighting.
@Kevin ordered the strip from Amazon, laser cut acrylic back panel.

5 Likes

Got an extra real of this stuff if you want to check it out let me know. I think it might be what you’re looking for.

4 Likes

This LED strip looks great! It is so much easier to work than neon, and more durable than EL wire. The big bonus is that there is no high voltage to contend with.

Will you post the link to this specifically?

Kevin, i would like to see the sign or at least get details on which strip light you used, will you be at makerspace any evenings this week

it gets delivered today so I’d super hurry

How is that made? LED light strip in the shape of the letters with power running behind it? Which strip did you use? I’ve not come across any that have that fogged kind of look nor could be bent at such acute angles. Would love to know what yall went with.

They call it “Flexible Neon” here are some links to explore:

eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292246704318
Zon: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Flexible-Outdoor-Changing-Controller/dp/B07FMFZ551/

Also Big Clive talks about it a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXQ9e9vKcA

2 Likes

Here are some close up photos of G2G Lighting Aurora Flex I have in the office. Its cut in the same manner as LED strips and comes with little caps for the ends. All of the letters are wired together and tucked behind the backing. This one was used a foam core substrate cut on a CNC.

1 Like

I like the look of it. Can you mix colors easily?

Very cool pics. Did you layout the fonts so the cut length increment was in the right place. What software does that?

I believe you can order them in full rgb, otherwise if you want solid colors for different parts of the sign I’m pretty sure they sell single color strips so you can cut and paste as needed. Sign will be in digital media all afternoon/evening until it goes out to it’s destination.

1 Like