Adventures of the July 2020 Electronics Mtng & Which E-mtng Platform to Use

“Meet doesn’t work on your browser”
Guess I’ll be phone only.
Yay…

1 Like

Yeah it might be time to update from Netscape Navigator. It’s had a good life.

5 Likes

Creating it for us still isn’t a crash course in scheduling or using (administering) a call. Who is going to have control over the call if we need to mute some idjit who is broadcasting a bunch of noise in the background?

Ahemm…Firefox - just not the latest shiny new thing.
Funny - didn’t need to update / install anything for using WebX.
Go figure…

1 Like

Edit: see the better instructions in Jim’s reply below.

What are you using? I’ve yet to find a case it doesn’t work, with the exception of mobile browsers where it pushes you to the app depending on what mobile browser you are using.

EDIT:

I’ve used it on Firefox just fine. Version/OS?

It’s just that we’re trying to standardize on something. We have a hard time historically pushing online classes and meetings because everyone used something different and there wasn’t something official. Well, now there’s something official that so far most committees are using.

It ties into your DMS email (which chairs and committees, as a reminder, have to use), literally on your DMS calendar just make an event and hit the big button that says “Add Google Meet Video Conferencing.” You can also sent the meeting invite to the committee mailing lists as a guest list, add notes to the meeting, etc ( such as [email protected] )

It generates a unique link, and phone number with PIN Codes similar to other conferencing software.

This post has an instructional video. It goes over everything from signing into your DMS G Suite if you’re not already familiar, to making a meeting, to turning on recording, screen sharing, and live streaming. Only the person making the meeting has to be using the G Suite (which is where the recording will go; I personally throw my recordings into a committee drive so I can link them on the Wiki in the minutes).

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/covid-19-classes-and-meetings-at-dms/69995

-Jim

1 Like

Right… I’m just helping you out this one time. I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it.

I just transferred ownership of the calendar event over to you, so you’ll be able to run the call.

Google states firefox is supported. Go figure.

I actually replied to you with a link to our handy-dandy instructional video. It looks like a lot of us were all replying at once and things got out of order. It happens.

Google Meet automatically mutes people joining after the first 4 participants; it’s a very intuitive interface (just has a mute icon over their name and video when you have to mute someone being an idiot or just forgetful of a hot mic)

We actually handled this quite well with the Meet the Candidates. Anyone can mute in that situation, and it shows who triggered the mute (so if someone decided to be an ass and keep muting the person talking rudely, the meeting organizer can kick them)

Here is me using it on firefox, just now. Even the overlay icons for muting camera and mic work when firefox isn’t the window in focus.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Thanks guys,

I’ll try to schedule a practice call and play with it.

2 Likes

It’s not too bad, It does Closed Captioning automatically.

1 Like

This is for organizational meetings, not personal stuff. Even then, G Suite accounts are very different from “free” Google accounts where you’re the product rather than the customer.

Since we’re a G Suite customer, and as someone working in the infosec industry, I can say yes I believe they are not selling ours.
And Again, this is for organizational meetings. Not for whatever happens in someone’s bedroom or personal affairs.

Without confirming or denying anything, clients/projects past or present, I stand by my statement as it pertains to G Suite customers.

Need to stop pushing this. I have my own Google account. NOT thru DMS.

You don’t have to use your DMS email as a non-chair or officer, unless it’s for Google Education exams or something like that since it’s how we track what member gets signed off. The chair or a vice chair should be setting up the meetings anyway, and teachers using it when they are teaching. With Google meer

But for teachers it has to be for setting up the meeting. We have licensed copies that don’t have the restrictions of attendance that the free version has, and allows attendees to use non-google emails for the video calls, etc.
The free version of Google Meet does not do this

so current rules do actually require committee chairs and officers to use their DMS email. There is a proposal to require a Google Meet option for all committee meetings as well.

Again, these only matter for chairs and officers i.e. the people whom are generating records of the organization. We’re at 1300+ members, and when members decide to step away and have all their records in personal emails we can’t continue the work they had going on. It’s also how we were able to do things like prove the fraud of Kris Anderson and others.

This rule was approved back in August at a regularly scheduled board meeting: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20190825#Require_Chairs_use_DMS_Email_.28Erik_Smith_on_behalf_of_Jim_Hartnett.29

As for you calling it “heavy-handed,” Find one org our size that is manageable without requiring those running it to use business systems for record keeping. Find one I dare you.

We have a hard enough time getting committees to document things for incoming members, subsequent committee leaders, and the membership as a whole with current practices. Having complete loss of records because someone decides to step down from a committee and we can’t pull records is a serious problem and we’ve had to dig through these DMS systems to pull them. Just this past day I had to pull records regarding the Felder for the woodshop when that chair has been gone for years.

No one is making you use that email for personal things, no one is making members not doing business on behalf of the space using that email. You have to login when you take exams using Google Education since it ties into AD for signoffs as that gets deployed.

So I’m guessing your boss is too? How large of a company do you work for that you can operate with just your personal email and not use one of theirs? 10? 100? 1000 employees? You’ll be hard pressed to find a business that operates electronically that allows those things by people charged with responsiblities.

Just a some more cases where use of common systems of record rather than personal emails and dropboxes within DMS have caught malfeasance, averted disaster, or enabled committees to pickup pieces left by chairs that didn’t document things:

• the time someone deleted the entirety the cloud share drive of expansion data to prevent a board member from doing due diligence (G Suite allows us to restore data lost in team drives due to accidents or malfeasance)
  • the time that Kris Anderson & co tried to ban Andrew LeCody for investigating fraud (having the email evidence on our systems made it auditable, and we were able to track the trail of hard proof)
  • the ongoing COVID crisis which lead to a significant need for online-enabled meetings. Having a common platform makes things easier on members not having to use a different system for every committee, and ensures meetings have records available where applicable so members can stay informed
  • new members can look on the wiki for information related to a committee such as rules, who to contact, what the process for things are, where to find things. Not having these on the books with stagnant committee pages, or not taking minutes or having unwritten rules, makes thing challenging for members old and new whom do not have that specific “tribal knowledge” case in point the recent Printmaking debacle where they teach one thing in classes, but have no posted rule on the wiki regarding restricted ink types
  • the use of common platforms by chairs for committee resources enables collaboration without every volunteer needing to learn a new system, or chairs purchasing licenses for personal items where we would exceed the limits of what’s offered in free tiers
  • when Social Security Numbers are handled by our bookkeeper and finance group for honorarium W-9s, these aren’t ending up scattered in personal emails, dropboxes, and God knows where we can’t secure them and destroy when no longer needed.
  • when a new or prospective member needs to ask a chair something there is a known inbox they are (supposed to be) checking.

I could keep going on

2 Likes

This thread has been completely hijacked from it’s original intent. it should be forked.

1 Like

You’re not wrong…