Additional Bridgeport classes needed

More than 24 members have registered for Bridgeport Part I class, the self study with quiz. So far 13 have passed the quiz and more should get there in the next few days. I have two Bridgeport Part II, the machine side classes, scheduled (Thursday and Saturday). That can take care of a maximum of 12 registrants. A committee member or two needs to schedule two more Bridgeport Part II classes for late Jan/ early Feb. to get the rest. I can remain the contact point for registrants submitting their quiz passwords and updating the quizpass AD. All the class materials already exist.

1 Like

I will schedule one for Tuesday 6PM the 22nd. of Jan.

For anyone that wants to register, when the class goes live it will be posted here:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/9772

2 Likes

Is this event: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/9508 supposed to be at 12am-1am?

That’s the self study portion. It’s done whenever. The calendar is not yet set up for a “self study class”

1 Like

Is there going to be an alternative class for those of us that watching the MIT videos are not a good learning fit?

1 Like

If it’s an issue for the learning style of some students, I’m willing to teach it “the old way” which was basically a teacher in a stuffy room reading you slides for an hour and a half.

Is that a more preferable learning method?

If someone can point me in the direction of a document that has everything that is wanted, that would be great. The current system of basic slides + quiz that tells you to go watch the videos, where the slides have answers to 4-5 of the questions is not optimal. If choices are current self-study or lecture, then sign me up for the lecture, but if there is a slide deck or set of written documentation that has everything needed for the quiz, that would be best.

1 Like

I dunno, I just teach here :wink:

@BobKarnaugh Should be able to answer your questions.

Alex,

Have you viewed the MIT Machine shop videos? My concern is that the machine side experience in Part II is similar at moments to viewing the MIT videos; learning by watching. Is the Part II, machine side, instruction going to be a poor fit? The good of the MIT material is that a professional shop manager gives it. In reality, one can probably surmount the quiz just base on the slides.

Malcolm,

Thanks for committing to adding that class on Tuesday.

Rest of committee- There is a need for at least one additional class!

1 Like

I’m in the middle of watching the videos. My respect for machinists has gone way up!

1 Like

I think the issues that I am having with the videos are 1. The pacing, 2. Watching them trying to find answers to the quiz, so that I can get to the part where I can watch and ask questions. The “Somewhere in this 4 hour package of videos is the answer to questions 6-10 of the quiz” is the challenge.

You’re doing it wrong. Why don’t you try to actually learn something instead of just cheat on a quiz?

The MIT videos are excellent, and machining is a craft you can spend a lifetime mastering.

3 Likes

I will second @halachal, your impetus for watching the video should be to learn and not answer a quiz. I would submit if you don’t wanna do that then maybe you should not be using the machine. Those videos may save your life or the machines…

Please understand. We do our best to streamline the training. The flip side of that is we have a high rate of people that want to use the machine without understanding. These videos will not make you a machinist. They will give you the barest of minimums of knowledge needed to use the machine.

1 Like

As usual. “Do it MY way or you’re a cheating idiot.”

Not excellent answers guys.

One thing you are not taking into account - 4 hours of video is a lot. Especially for someone who does not already know how to use the machine. Glad I got trained before this method was implemented. I learned how to use a mill ( or at least how not to break one ) back in the mid 80s. If the requirement was to watch 4 hours at the point, I might still be waiting. Video training is not a great method for me either. In small doses, sure. 4 hour chunks, not so much.

A one hour primer, then the class, then encouragement to watch more advanced videos as the student gains experience would work MUCH better.

Of course if your idea was to discourage folks from using the machine to cut down on the training load, you may have succeeded.

1 Like

This was implemented to reduce the workload on the instructors to enable twice as many machine-side classes to be taught.

An admirable goal.

However, a 4 hour mandatory info dump before someone has context for the info is perhaps not the right way to achieve it.

1 Like

Making a video class was probably outside the skill-set. I don’t have those skills, either, though. I have the impression that there are such folks in the Space. Do we know who they might be? I think @designcat was working on some simple video classes for some of the committees…

I am sure that if asked nicely, @Photomancer will be willing to teach the classroom portion once in a while. Now that the classroom portion has been decoupled from the machine side, it can be held in a large classroom with a large audience.

I’ll give the common reply. Design a coursework and I’ll teach it. Until then, we’ll do it the way Bob volunteered, tested, and is teaching.

I believe the parlance is “nut up or shut up” and I don’t see you teaching in the machine shop so…

4 Likes