Additional Bridgeport classes needed

I haven’t looked. Maybe there are some intro videos already our there. Basic safety and fundamental ops would be good in a prelim video. That should not take 4 hours in my opinion.

Making one in house is an intersting idea.

1 Like

When I learned to use a Bridgeport, it was through a class that met for a total of 30 hours of instruction. After hundreds of hours working in a shop since, I still probably know less than 10% of what the guy who taught me does.

If you can’t dedicate 4 hours to get access to powerful tools that could kill you, you lazy. Full stop.

2 Likes

I watched those videos back before we even offered classes. I had a good idea of how to operate one beforehand.

I even took @Photomancer very first Bridgeport class, before it was required.

I think if they are interested they will learn, just as I have & still am learning.

Dramatic claim. Twice.

So - long hair caught in spindle. Likewise long loose sleeves or gloves. Possibly work being thrown due to poor clamping.

How else ? The Bridgeport is certainly worthy of respect, but I see it as inherently less dangerous than a table saw. Got 4 hours of worth of said ways to get killed by a Bridgeport manual mill ?

You’re not a current member, or so says your icon.

You have no dog in this hunt anyway.

This is much less about purported laziness than learning styles, and value given for time spent. Videos are much less engaging than hands-on instruction. Videos play very poorly with my ADD.

Having not watched videos on this particular subject, I can’t really speak to the various ways that they could be flawed.

If I have to watch too much repetition, I’m more likely to be plotting the demise of the instructor than have all that fricking repetition be effective. Of course, the same goes for in-person lectures. Hands-on, repetition works. Swamping me with too much information (4 hours of legit, non-repetitive info – I also would not retain that, and the quiz doesn’t take 4 hours, so what counts?) Maybe I zoned out when they were talking about something important? I.e., on the quiz.

And no – I am not in any way advocating that we go back to instructor-led. I thoroughly understand the dearth of folks with boatloads of spare time.

But – how long was this first class to begin with? I mean, Woodshop Basics is 3 hrs, and all the students are using each machine on their piece of wood. I’m not getting that 4 hours worth of video is not overkill for the initial offering.

1 Like

I have helped make a few videos. I have access to a DSLR that can shoot video, and could probably borrow audio ( and maybe a sound guy to run it. ) Editing I have not done.

Could be an interesting project if others are interested in helping out.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ll do a MUCH better job than a MIT instructor.

there’s some sarcasm for you

1 Like

I never said it was all about safety, although I’m sure you could fill 4 hours with safe shop practices.

My point is machining is a highly complex craft, and expecting to just be able to jump onto a machine like a bridgeport after 30 minutes of browsing slides and answering a 10 question quiz is asinine.

1 Like

I gather that you have not been paying attention to this full thread. The videos are only for the initial class. Once you pass this basic quiz, then you get to take the hands-on class. The quiz doesn’t give any one access to the machine, only the next class.

1 Like

No. You don’t.

I’ve set in to learn enough to do the CAD part of the HAAS training. It changed in the middle, and I need to start over.

Other than that, the responses to new ideas in the group are not conducive to getting new folks to teach. So motivation is not that high.

1 Like

Troll. ( halachal. Not you dryad2b )

We need to stop feeding the troll.

And perhaps ban the troll.

1 Like

I think the group would be better served by ignoring your complaint and telling you that you are welcome to watch the videos, take the quiz, do the machine side class and get signed off. If not. Then don’t. It’s no skin off anyone if you dont like it and wont comply.

You dont seem to appreciate the seriousness that should be undertaken when operating machine shop tools. This in itself makes you a poor candidate for access.

The bottom line is that we have finite resources. You are welcome to create something, submit it and wait for feedback. Until then, good day.

3 Likes

you going to ad hominem yashsedai now too?

You do not know me, nor my skillset.

You have not followed the discussion, or your reading comprehsnsion is poor.

The 4 hours worth of video - JUST TO SIGN UP FOR THE CLASS - is tough for some of our members who have non-standard learning processes. ( ADD and the like. ) That is the point of the discussion.

My reading comprehension is fine. I don’t care about your skillset. 4 hours in one sitting too tough? Break it up. 15, 20, 30 minutes a day if you have to. Take notes. Etc. Just because its inconvenient does not make it wrong. I’m not buying the ADD excuse. I’ve got it and have lived with it. Not hard to overcome if you decide you want to do it and plan accordingly.

except the videos, done at your convenience and timeline, also skip about 1.5-2 hours of class time that has to be scheduled with volunteer-only teachers, with more limited class sizes due to the extra content, for what still requires 1-2 hours of time at the machine after said classroom portion.

Nothing stops instructors from teaching a full portion instead, but most instructors are pressed for time as it is and have other classes that need teaching as well. These aren’t going to be as common

-Jim

Oh, we ALL get that there are finite resources, both Machine Shop’s and his.

Except maybe @halachal, who seems to be on his own plane of existence.

I have had to watch a 4-hr video for TABC certification. Bored-bored-bored. Granted, by the time the video class was up, I’d already certified 4-5 times (once every 2 years, like clockwork), and the information Never Changes. I read through it.

I am full of ideas, but I’ll have to see if I remember to attend MC committee meetings so that I can help improve this situation.

And, while a. I have never been a skilled machinist, and
b. Spinning sharp things are definitely dangerous and deserve our respect and attention,
c. The one time I used one as part of Industrial Processes, simple, safe operation wasn’t that difficult. We spent the semester learning a variety of different machines and equipment, so no one machine got that much time.

1 Like

At one time, we broke the class into two portions:

The 90-120 minutes lecture portion where I taught up to as many as lecture hall would hold. Most I think I had was about 18 members. Then the at machine portions would be scheduled for groups of 5-6 as is done now.

I could do that again as an alternative, would probly add a very little bit so it would also cover the Sherline Mill.

If there is interest in this alternative, I’ll start doing it again. Would need to be set up as pre-requite course like the online is.

@StanSimmons how hard would it be be to set that up? Say Milling 101 as prerequisite to Bridgeport and Sherline Mill courses?

3 Likes

The whole point of doing this is so more people can be taught in the same time frame.
Right now @BobKarnaugh, @malcolmputer are the only ones teaching the Bridgeport.

Furthermore @BobKarnaugh, @malcolmputer, @nicksilva, @Photomancer are about the only ones teaching Machine Shop. So out of 2,200 members we have 4 people teaching Machine Shop classes. What does that tell us about folks not wanting to partake in teaching. It’s a problem, its not right to those 4 members to carry the weight of the machine shop for teaching.

• So we can get 6-8 less people, taught per class.
  • Have it done the way it is now & we get twice as many folks taught, as well as we know the load of the wanted classes.
  • Come up with another way
  • Or any other combinations
4 Likes