Acrylic Bending Table

Hello All,

Any of the spaces need an acrylic bending table? Not trying to get rid of it, just donate it for use as a tool in the space

I built it a few years back, and its just sitting on the wall, its flat and can be stored fairly easily.

Just wondered if there would be a need for it, and would people use it. I’ll post some photos of it this afternoon.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see the photos. I’ve personally bent acrylic at the space using @apipe acrylic bender. It worked ok, but seemed under-powered for my application at the time. How does your table work? Does it have heating elements or just hinged segments?

Thanks for the offer and i hope it is a useful tool we can add to our library.

1 Like

Interesting use of the word, “library.”

I fairly certain, with the amount of acrylic we use around here, that an acrylic bending table would be a useful tool. I’d be interested in it for use in Science, though Creative Arts or Woodshop or Laser or VECTOR might get more use out of it.

It’s a 4X4 bending area

One side is static, the other side folds to the desired angle.

Uses monochrome wire for the heating element.

4 Likes

Looks awesome,
So I think it is exactly what I was hoping for. If I tried to get it accepted by a committee, would you be willing to teach a class on how to use it? This would help my ability to get it accepted. Plus, I’m sure it has a quirk or two that you know better than the rest of us.

3 Likes

yep not a problem, just lmk.

I’m sure it can be modified, like adding folding table legs or better ways to hold down the arylic, squaring it up etc.

I’ve also added a digital angle finder to it since its been been, if you do it right, there is no evidence heat was even applied.

The only real overhead on the tool is the monochrome wire, which i have a nice size roll of that i’ll toss is with the machine for maint purposes. I’m still on the first strand of wire, with constant use, i’m not sure of the life span of the heating element, easy to change out though.

What became of this tool?

I would like to be able to form 1/2-inch-thick sheets of acrylic into arches two or three inches across that could join together to form tight-fitting tubes. Would this machine be able to do this?

That machine is more for bending on an angle, not sure if there would be any way to fillet the bend.

Its still available nobody claimed it yet for their space. If your just trying to put bends in the acrylic it will do what you need. It jist softens the acrylic in a straight line, at that point you have a few secs to do what you need to it

Im coming to the space tomorrow for some cnc work…i can bring it and you can see if it works for what your trying to do…

Thanks. I’m afraid of that. I’m sure that bending plastic would be highly useful; lots of people are using plastic.

Thanks. I cannot be present tomorrow, but if you could leave it in the Science area with your name and contact info, I could look at it later.

Lmk when you will be there i can make a double trip

I won’t be able to get to the Space until Saturday.

Ok I’ll try to get up there on saturday

Man I like that. I’m not sure at the moment what I’d make with it but sure beats the ol heat gun & mold.

I reached out to @AlexRhodes 18 days ago about accepting a donation of the acrylic bender as a possible over lay for one of Allen’s inexpensive work tables. I still haven’t received a response from him. Either he is too busy or just ignoring the request.

@rablack97 I see that @Opcode (Richard) is definitely interested in the bender as well. Richard can accept the donation as the chair of the science committee. But, it will take support from others in the group to get it a useful spot in the workshop. I personally think it is useful especially as it seems to be a simple machine to operate and helpful to multiple committees such as wood shop, science, vector, machine shop, creative arts and especially laser. All these committees do projects that could incorporate bent acrylic.

Good luck with the donation.

Wood shop doesn’t want it. Please find another committee to accept. Sorry, one of those things where I told my self I would respond later, but forgot.

1 Like

I like the table overlay concept, reduces storage footprint significantly. Will it store in a folded position? What’s the smallest footprint it can make. Have a possible idea I’m playing with.

Pictures above just scroll up. ^^^^

That’s a good idea, but I can see some caution needed in it. Allen’s tables aren’t meant to be durable; they are meant to be cheap. They also get abused. People spill things on them. Lumps of dried glue stick to the tops, paint gets on them, people drill holes through their projects into them. Any table top is going to get damage pretty fast. I think it would be better for the bender to be in a drawer, or, at least, have a disposable, protective cover.